• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I have to be sincere
I bought a Ashby jacket for 1 month, and I'm very pleased with that, at first I was apprehensive that it was not made in england, but with daily use it disappeared from my head, it's a sturdy, high quality coat.
Yesterday I could compare with a Bedale, and I saw no differences, only a few simple details like a collar a little thicker, otherwise everything the same.
I would definitely recommend the Ashby.

Yesterday I also had opportunity to handle and try other barbour pieces and especially liked the shirts, beautiful shirts, excellent fabric, well made. I also liked all kinds of accessories.
I was a fan of the brand and I'm going to start following them with more attention.

samsterdam

Reaction score
I bought a Beaufort from Orvis that arrived the other day. Unfortunately the sleeves were comically short (I'm 6'4", purchased a 42). The jacket was lovely and fit quite well everywhere else, but clearly won't work for me. Are all Barbour jackets like this, or are there models with longer sleeves?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Beaufort from Orvis that arrived the other day. Unfortunately the sleeves were comically short (I'm 6'4", purchased a 42). The jacket was lovely and fit quite well everywhere else, but clearly won't work for me. Are all Barbour jackets like this, or are there models with longer sleeves?

One thing I hate about the wax jackets are the sleeves. I’m 5 10, and wear a 40 and the sleeves are always short. Why haven’t barbour sorted this?

samsterdam

Reaction score
One thing I hate about the wax jackets are the sleeves. I’m 5 10, and wear a 40 and the sleeves are always short. Why haven’t barbour sorted this?
I read somewhere that they're meant to be hunting/shooting jackets so the shorter sleeves keep your hands/wrists free to blah blah blah whatever.

Also apparently you can send the jacket to Barbour and they'll put new longer ones on for a fee but that seems like a whole thing.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that they're meant to be hunting/shooting jackets so the shorter sleeves keep your hands/wrists free to blah blah blah whatever.

Also apparently you can send the jacket to Barbour and they'll put new longer ones on for a fee but that seems like a whole thing.

It’s a load of old bollocks. Every other hunting jacket on the market has longer sleeves.

Take this Dubarry for example.

C8F34922-6D55-48B1-B71A-809FDDEE479A.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to be sincere
I bought a Ashby jacket for 1 month, and I'm very pleased with that, at first I was apprehensive that it was not made in england, but with daily use it disappeared from my head, it's a sturdy, high quality coat.
Yesterday I could compare with a Bedale, and I saw no differences, only a few simple details like a collar a little thicker, otherwise everything the same.
I would definitely recommend the Ashby.

Yesterday I also had opportunity to handle and try other barbour pieces and especially liked the shirts, beautiful shirts, excellent fabric, well made. I also liked all kinds of accessories.
I was a fan of the brand and I'm going to start following them with more attention.

Good to hear, I also like my Ashby.

I have found Barbour knitwear to be good.

I will have to have a look at their shirts.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Good to hear, I also like my Ashby.

I have found Barbour knitwear to be good.

I will have to have a look at their shirts.

I saw few knits, but it does not impress me by the touch, a bit rough ..
Also I did not like the down light jackets, badly made, nor looked like a barbour product, disappointed.

Otherwise all products had a lot of quality.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I’m going to rewax my Ashby when I get a chance soon and was just wondering if people on here tend to give the jacket a wipe down etc before waxing?

My navy Ashby always has a good amount of lint showing on it which I imagine is not ideal to wax over.

Also what is the best applicator? A sponge?

I have the 4oz lightweight wax, assuming that is suitable?

Thanks

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw few knits, but it does not impress me by the touch, a bit rough ..
Also I did not like the down light jackets, badly made, nor looked like a barbour product, disappointed.

Otherwise all products had a lot of quality.

I would imagine the knits vary a bit depending on wool used. My lambswool one is very smooth and soft, my Donegal Merino one a bit rougher but it is a chunkier knit.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would imagine the knits vary a bit depending on wool used. My lambswool one is very smooth and soft, my Donegal Merino one a bit rougher but it is a chunkier knit.

From experience.
Wool - rugged, rough and warm
Lambswool - soft, almost cashmere feel.
Cotton - standard, nothing special and can lose shape quickly.
Cotton/linen - rough on the skin, digs into elbows on a table if not wearing a base layer.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Can't edit this but meant to say one Royal warrant, not two.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm downsizing big time. A few jackets are up for grabs!

2 crest gamefair c38
Barbour Rambler medium 40"
Possibly my 4 pocket Bedale c40
Rustic brown transport c40

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads