• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I just received a new Barbour Sylkoil jacket in the mail. It's very wrinkled from sitting in the box too long. What's the best way to remove the stubborn creases from shipment? Thanks!

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I would hang it, in one of those dry cleaning plastic liners, so as not to ruin anything else in your closet and just wear it when the need arises. This is country-wear.

The jacket seems very oily. When is it safe to wear light color garment with it or even sit on light colored furniture?

Does Beeswax have this staining problem on light colored items?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
The beige tartan lining on my jacket has a few spots of Sykloil stain. It happened during shipment as the seller forgot to zip the jacket up. What's the best way to wash them off?

AdRock

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's just the way the model is wearing it, but I don't like the collar on the jacket. Too lazy to google an image of the jacket on someone else.

Here is one more for your browsing pleasure:

This gentleman certainly seems to be happy about the collar. I think it looks a little 'odd' in the first picture but looks like short point collar here.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Does anyone in the US have experience buying Barbour from End Clothing in the UK? Would you recommend this vendor? Do you have to pay US import tax?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't bought Barbour, but have bought Inverallan from them. Transaction went smoothly except credit card declined the transaction because it was outside the U.S. Called the bank and they cleared it. Don't see how buying Barbour would be that much different. It's been about 6 weeks now, but have not received a bill for duties yet . I think it's hit or miss. Just don't be surprised if you receive one. The fact they use Fedex increases the chances.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Haven't bought Barbour, but have bought Inverallan from them. Transaction went smoothly except credit card declined the transaction because it was outside the U.S. Called the bank and they cleared it.

Don't see how buying Barbour would be that much different. It's been about 6 weeks now, but have not received a bill for duties yet .

I think it's hit or miss. Just don't be surprised if you receive one. The fact they use Fedex increases the chances.

Any idea what the US import tax % is roughly for a $300 jacket if you get hit with a bill? Don't you have to pay on the spot or FedEx will not release the package?

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea what the US import tax % is roughly for a $300 jacket if you get hit with a bill?  Don't you have to pay on the spot or FedEx will not release the package?
Someone was telling it would be $50 for a $225 sweater. Using that as a base it could be approximately $75.

Last edited:

smartlew

Reaction score
I wonder if someone could help me identify a jacket I saw a chap wearing last week - it was a plain, short jacket (Bedale sort of length), but had two zips at the back for a poachers pocket?

I should've just asked him what model it was, but I didn't. Any ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads