• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Reaction score
Didn’t realize how sought after Barbour was outside of the UK. Their factory outlet is near my hometown. If anybody ever visits North East of England, be sure to check out the outlet for some great deals.
J Barbour And Sons Ltd, South Shields, Jarrow NE32 3HL, United Kingdom
Thank you for the hint, if everything goes right next summer i'll reach Scotland by land, I will "randomly" stop at this outlet.

In the meantime i'm ready to pull the trigger for an Ashby but i'm torn between Olive and Navy.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the hint, if everything goes right next summer i'll reach Scotland by land, I will "randomly" stop at this outlet.

In the meantime i'm ready to pull the trigger for an Ashby but i'm torn between Olive and Navy.

if you reeeeally need an Ashby, but Olive. If not, get a Bedale.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Carlton wool hat and leather gloves by Barbour are very nice indeed as well! :D 6E46A4F6-445E-4E18-976C-BE14E9335C60.jpeg 34BCAABC-2EC5-4567-ACEF-2A50E439436D.jpeg

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
My jacket arrived, faster than I thought and it is in the best condition a used jacket can be, it has a little patina and no cuts, tears or anything similar in the cotton, lack a grease waxing and it will be ready.

Unfortunately, it comes very smelly, as soon as I opened it from the package I wanted to vomit: how can I get the smell out of a jacket? It has been out in the open for half a day and I went to smell it and it still smells as bad as the moment I met it.

Last edited:

tweedlover

Reaction score
My jacket arrived, faster than I thought and it is in the best condition a used jacket can be, it has a little patina and no cuts, tears or anything similar in the cotton, lack a grease waxing and it will be ready.

Unfortunately, it comes very smelly, as soon as I opened it from the package I wanted to vomit: how can I get the smell out of a jacket? It has been out in the open for half a day and I went to smell it and it still smells as bad as the moment I met it.
I've never had the pleasure of owning a Barbour. But, yours is not the first time I've seen someone posting here about how a used Barbour they've received smelled like death warmed over.

star656

Reaction score
Has anyone cut off or sewn over the interior zippers on their Barbour? I don't need the liner but have been wearing my jacket over sport coats quite often these days.

Any recommendations on the best way to prevent loose threads?

Lol1000

Reaction score
took me a month, but it was a northumbria with woolen inner layer, which must have decades of barnsmell in it. i used a full bottle of febreeze....oh yeah, and i even handwashed the inner layer

P4PGreatest

Reaction score
I normally buy my shirts/jackets in S or XS. I'm a 33/34 chest measured. Skinny 5ft 9.

I recently bought a Barbour Ashby Navy in XS and was so surprised that it was too big for me, so long on the arms, Length long, baggy feel under my arms. The sizing totally confuses me and XS is the smallest size they do in the Ashby.

Do you reckon the Bedale SL 32 will fit me okay?
or/and any other sized Bedale I could try?

msimon

Reaction score
I normally buy my shirts/jackets in S or XS. I'm a 33/34 chest measured. Skinny 5ft 9.

I recently bought a Barbour Ashby Navy in XS and was so surprised that it was too big for me, so long on the arms, Length long, baggy feel under my arms. The sizing totally confuses me and XS is the smallest size they do in the Ashby.

Do you reckon the Bedale SL 32 will fit me okay?
or/and any other sized Bedale I could try?

Hi P4PGreatest,

I am 5'7 33inch chest and can very certain say that bedale in 32 would be a safe bet, however I too had an ashby in XS and actually found it to be too restrictive for a work jacket at the time and upgraded to the bedale which I still love and use regularly.

And to note the ashby length is in between a bedale and beufort with longer arms. I can be corrected on this, my experience.

P4PGreatest

Reaction score
Hi P4PGreatest,

I am 5'7 33inch chest and can very certain say that bedale in 32 would be a safe bet, however I too had an ashby in XS and actually found it to be too restrictive for a work jacket at the time and upgraded to the bedale which I still love and use regularly.

And to note the ashby length is in between a bedale and beufort with longer arms. I can be corrected on this, my experience.

Hi,

I really appreciate the reply and help! Thankyou.
Does the 32 fit tight on you of loose?
I might go for the Bedale SL(white label) in Size 32, because I do prefer a slimmer fit.

msimon

Reaction score
Hi,

I really appreciate the reply and help! Thankyou.
Does the 32 fit tight on you of loose?
I might go for the Bedale SL(white label) in Size 32, because I do prefer a slimmer fit.
If you find the ashby to loose then you won't be happy in a boxy bedale, bedale is even more roomier but a shorter jacket then the ashby.

A 32 bedale fits perfectly in all right places with me and enough room for multiple layering . Perhaps your not used to classic looser clothing.

P4PGreatest

Reaction score
If you find the ashby to loose then you won't be happy in a boxy bedale, bedale is even more roomier but a shorter jacket then the ashby.

A 32 bedale fits perfectly in all right places with me and enough room for multiple layering . Perhaps your not used to classic looser clothing.

I think the long arms and long length through me off. I dont think the fit was that bad.I will try the SL version of the bedale and hope it fits! I have already ordered two and send two back haha

But I love the look of the them!

msimon

Reaction score
I think the long arms and long length through me off. I dont think the fit was that bad.I will try the SL version of the bedale and hope it fits! I have already ordered two and send two back haha

But I love the look of the them!
I don't think you be disappointed, I was eyeing the olive beufort but they only start at 34 and since we skinny people have problems with sizing and fit, a bedale in olive will suit me just fine since I can't imagine being in a 34 with 33 inch chest.

The SL versions look nice.

Last edited:

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a tumble dryer after a rewax? Stumbled across someone on Reddit saying they did. I have a yolo attitude to most things but this sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can see a trip to John Lewis to get a new machine in the near future doing this.

Last edited:

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
Moving on from potential jacket ruining talk.

for those that have multiple coats do you have a standout fave? Is their one that doesn’t get much love?

I’ve found the stockman and sander to be my go to coats. Between the two of them I have most wet weather scenarios covered with one of the two and my Northumbria a close 3rd. The least loved are my beauforts. They only get worn after seeing a pic on here and remembering they’re in the cupboard.

what’s your faves?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics