• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Shteve

Reaction score
My question might seem common and even odd but could you please clarify what is the difference between Beaufort and Classic Beaufort jackets? Thanks.

The finish on the 'classic' Beaufort is Sylkoil whereas the finish on the non-classic Beaufort is standard Thornproof.
This post explains the differences between finish well. Also the 'classic' Beaufort is available in Olive, but not Sage, whereas the non-classic (aka Thornproof) version of the Beaufort is available in Sage, but not Olive. Also, the 'classic' Beaufort features the Classic tartan lining, whereas the Thornproof Beaufort has the Ancient tartan lining. Hope this helps:

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question might seem common and even odd but could you please clarify what is the difference between Beaufort and Classic Beaufort jackets? Thanks.
The finish on the 'classic' Beaufort is Sylkoil whereas the finish on the non-classic Beaufort is standard Thornproof.
This post explains the differences between finish well. Also the 'classic' Beaufort is available in Olive, but not Sage, whereas the non-classic (aka Thornproof) version of the Beaufort is available in Sage, but not Olive. Also, the 'classic' Beaufort features the Classic tartan lining, whereas the Thornproof Beaufort has the Ancient tartan lining. Hope this helps:

And:

And:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beaufort

48E12FFA-8436-413B-AE4E-8EBCF0960AF1.jpeg

6E44E7EF-50A7-4820-8C54-741ADC110913.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A1B7EE18-7AEB-4D87-B426-2A7CDEDD4CC8.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12BE7DB5-24D0-4E88-9481-5002C2B19A18.jpeg
5FE1FAF6-043D-417C-BC63-ADEAAA228E0F.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F2159E33-3281-4BF0-843E-8167507A070C.jpeg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I began looking at Barbour wax jackets but as I was saving up to buy a flat I never splashed the cash. Now I have the money to spend I decided to start trying a few on with my intention being to buy a Beaufort.

So I tried on a 38 chest Beaufort (original thornproof in sage, though I'd prefer to go sylkoil olive), just to see how it fit. My disappointment was not with sleeve length but the finish to the cuffs. If anything I could possibly have sized down to a 36 but they didn't have one to try. I found the cuffs uncomfortably scratchy against my hands. I found this quite bizarre for a coat that otherwise looked like the dog's danglers. I've previously tried on a Bedale and an Ashby which have really comfortable cuffs. I tried on a Bristol too, but the trade off is: no game pocket, polyester sleeves, pocket buttons are hidden (not visible like they are on the Beaufort).

Now because I like the length of the Beaufort I'm left to ponder over buying a Beaufort and having the cuffs fitted with a leather trim, or buying a Bristol and having the polyester sleeves removed. Have any Beaufort owners found the edge of their cuffs to feel a bit rough or did I just have bad luck with the one I tried?

Update: I've just seen that it's only £15 to have cuffs bound with a trim! I'm leaning towards the Beaufort. Stick it out for 8 months with scratchy cuffs and then get them bound when I send it for a rewax ?

On another note: Interestingly the Barbour UK site specifies that knitted windcuffs can only be replaced on jackets that already have them fitted and that they cannot be fitted to jackets that don't already have them. I wonder if they make an exception for fitting the knitted ones to a Beaufort on account of there already being a windcuff of some sort present to attach them to ?
I haven't worn my Beaufort for a while, but don't recall scratchy cuffs ever being an issue from before.

Shteve

Reaction score
I haven't worn my Beaufort for a while, but don't recall scratchy cuffs ever being an issue from before.
That's good to know ? I think perhaps the one I tried on was just too big and the cuffs sat too low on my hands. I've now pulled the trigger on a 36 Classic Beaufort so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Having ventured outside today I wonder if opting for the pile liner might have been overkill for these southern winters, but at least I'll be prepared for when I visit family up north! ?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to know ? I think perhaps the one I tried on was just too big and the cuffs sat too low on my hands. I've now pulled the trigger on a 36 Classic Beaufort so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Having ventured outside today I wonder if opting for the pile liner might have been overkill for these southern winters, but at least I'll be prepared for when I visit family up north! ?
I am passively looking for a 38 Beaufort. The 36 is too tight with the pile liner in and layers. The arms are a little short on me too.

indigoeagle

Reaction score

And how would the White Line SL Beaufort compare to those two?
Apparently it's made for the Japanese market and is a slimmer design.

edit: Just saw on the previous page, that someone had asked a similar question.

Perhaps someone has info specifically on the differences with the Beaufort like lining (body and sleeves), fabric, cut and place of production.

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Lurker, first time post.

After some advice please.

I have a Bedale 40 (newish) 2 Border's 40 (old) Northumbria 40 (old) Beaufort 40 (old) a Sander XL and an Ashby XL and am looking at a Corbridge but am unsure what size to go for. I'm 5'9 fairly stocky/dad built if that helps.

ta

Mr Clumsy

Reaction score
I am annoyed by my Beaufort's short sleeves.
Sending it to South Shields to replace the sleeves for longer ones is not an option: Too expensive.

Does anyone have an idea how to lengthen the sleeves?
At first I was thinking of sewing on corduroy cuffs (from old trousers), but then it would be all soggy when it rains.

I realised I only put i have one Beufort but remembered I have 2. One I have that fits perfect and one that must be older one that I use for gardening and stuff. The sleeves on that are a good inch shorter. I sewed some ribbed cuffs in and it looks okish (okish due to my sewing skills) would definitely be a great option if Barbour offered it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads