• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think that you can pick up a Barbour for a third of the price as the PWVC/PS version - is it worth it?
The PWVC just seems better constructed (more solid, zippers have more weight and seem more substantial. Lining much more comfortable, better finishing at the end of the sleeves, better cut all around). Now is it worth 3x the price? Obviously that's more subjective. Although I can't imagine paying the now $1100 for the newest Twin Track

That about sums up my thoughts as well. I have far too many waxed Barbour & Belstaff jackets as is so I'd not spend 3x the price of a solid Barbour on the PWVC. However, I like the design, appreciate that they still manufacture in the UK and their construction is fantastic. I have several PWVC pieces (no waxed jackets) and really like them. That said, I purchased most on sale. There are typically some great deals on end of season items. Just another option, I figure they are Barbour-adjacent enough to share here.

espen

Reaction score
Has anyone ever sourced a Barbour zip pull? Just got my Solway back from sleeve lengthening and the pull broke off (no one's fault, its really old) and the whole zipper doesn't need to be replaced.

Maturin

Reaction score
I've noticed that Barbour has all but forsake the older, actual green "olive" color. What with that? My old Flyweight---long obsolete---and Border coat still work best for me. I have a newer Bedale that I abuse doing outside work but it's this brown color that they are calling "sage" or something and it's just okay. OLD Barbour really was better made.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that Barbour has all but forsake the older, actual green "olive" color. What with that? My old Flyweight---long obsolete---and Border coat still work best for me. I have a newer Bedale that I abuse doing outside work but it's this brown color that they are calling "sage" or something and it's just okay. OLD Barbour really was better made.

I have a Border circa 2004. Any idea if it's Olive or Sage? I wonder if there's a color code on the inside tag.

Maturin

Reaction score
I have a Border circa 2004. Any idea if it's Olive or Sage? I wonder if there's a color code on the inside tag.
Nowadays "Olive" means really really green. The Sage that is passed off as green has a lot more brown. I'm not sure about the tags. My Border is centuries old at this point---sometime from the 80s when I bought it new.

leparrain7

Reaction score
hi guys, anybody knows by any chance, since when approximately barbour started to market the ashby model?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but what about the Sander sort of the same however, nice & light, slips right on ;)
It has its moments. I’m personally not too keen on these “lifestyle” jackets with their lightweight wax and thin linings. Give me a proper coat.

vim147

Reaction score
I have a Barbour Ashby in Medium. Am looking to get the Beaufort.
What size should i get and how much longer is it in length ?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Barbour Ashby in Medium. Am looking to get the Beaufort.
What size should i get and how much longer is it in length ?

probably 38 is your best bet. My Ashby is a medium, but the sleeves are too short.
It’s a few inches longer.

vim147

Reaction score
probably 38 is your best bet. My Ashby is a medium, but the sleeves are too short.
It’s a few inches longer.

Do you still wear your Ashby with the sleeves being too small ?

I've bought two Ashby jackets (Olive and Navy) in medium from eBay. For some reason the Olive seems to feel smaller especially on the sleeves compared to the Navy.
At first i thought the seller may have had the sleeves altered but i measured both jackets up with a tape measure and they're both the same.

Am gonna need to wax them soon. It'll be my first time. Do you think one can of wax will be enough for two Ashby's ?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you still wear your Ashby with the sleeves being too small ?

I've bought two Ashby jackets (Olive and Navy) in medium from eBay. For some reason the Olive seems to feel smaller especially on the sleeves compared to the Navy.
At first i thought the seller may have had the sleeves altered but i measured both jackets up with a tape measure and they're both the same.

Am gonna need to wax them soon. It'll be my first time. Do you think one can of wax will be enough for two Ashby's ?

I don’t wear it anymore, no. One tin will be enough.

bzh689

Reaction score
Dears, please advise whether Barbour has ever produced any jackets with knitted storm cuffs other than Bedale?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads