• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I have finally had a response from Barbour UK regarding the alterations to my Beacon however, I had requested that they shorten the sleeves & jacket length by 2cm respectively however, they have advised that the can only shorten the sleeves but not the length as they don't do this alteration on this model of jacket.....does that sound about right ?

Once the jacket has been returned to myself, any suggestions who may be able to shorten the jacket length on my Beacon or would I end with the same answer as Barbour UK provided.

Any information/advice would be most appreciated, thanks.
As previously mentioned, Mallin & Son in Yorkshire have lengthened a friends sleeves on his tokito sports jacket. They’re brilliant.

Planet Ocean

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, Mallin & Son in Yorkshire have lengthened a friends sleeves on his tokito sports jacket. They’re brilliant.

Certainly something to consider, Barbour have agreed to shorten the sleeves so I will let them continue with this but my question would be then, do you think Mallin & Son would shorten the jacket length on my Beacon or would they take the same approach as Barbour and say it can't be done due to the style of the jacket.

I will probably drop them an email anyway asking the question, just thought I'd ask here also as you guys are mind of information on the subject.

I have some time as Barbour are quoting six weeks for the alteration so will be a while before I can address the jacket length issue, in the mean time I am wearing the hell out of my lightweight Sander, forgotten what a great little jacket it is :)

vim147

Reaction score
Does anyone use a liner for the Ashby/Bedale etc ?
Is there an aftermarket one what works with these jackets ?

bzh689

Reaction score
Hi there, Barbour connoisseurs! Need your expert commentary on the following: what is the difference (if any) in using Barbour wax jacket with button fastening instead of snap one? Always wanted another classic look waxed jacket but with wool lining instead of cotton (i have a 2000s UK-made Bedale). I've found out that one of the best wool lined Barbours is an old but gold A186 Beauchamp but these jackets are quite rare in place where i live. Luckily a friend of mine said that he knows a guy selling his used Barbour Longhurst which is a remastered (as far as i know) version of the Beauchamp. The one thing that have been and still stops me from being 100% sure about both Beauchamp and Longhurst is the button fastening. Is it durable? Does the cloth around buttonholes wear out by constant rubbing while fastening/unfastening? Any experience and opinion would be very helpful! Thanks.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, Barbour connoisseurs! Need your expert commentary on the following: what is the difference (if any) in using Barbour wax jacket with button fastening instead of snap one? Always wanted another classic look waxed jacket but with wool lining instead of cotton (i have a 2000s UK-made Bedale). I've found out that one of the best wool lined Barbours is an old but gold A186 Beauchamp but these jackets are quite rare in place where i live. Luckily a friend of mine said that he knows a guy selling his used Barbour Longhurst which is a remastered (as far as i know) version of the Beauchamp. The one thing that have been and still stops me from being 100% sure about both Beauchamp and Longhurst is the button fastening. Is it durable? Does the cloth around buttonholes wear out by constant rubbing while fastening/unfastening? Any experience and opinion would be very helpful! Thanks.

Here are my Beauhurst and Longhurst jackets. Longhurst is the best thing ever, so heavy duty.
47396AB3-77CA-4E4A-AD56-441A2E95A3B3.jpeg
46B4EBF9-ACD1-4710-A3DD-F4521E4B3A02.jpeg
8ECDCC38-1F54-489C-9626-58E6FF547639.jpeg
60EC72D6-5F0C-4AB7-98A8-1E9A78BEF6B0.jpeg
75749626-CE07-4114-9CC6-8A5F617B9F31.jpeg

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone use a liner for the Ashby/Bedale etc ?
Is there an aftermarket one what works with these jackets ?
I use Barbour’s quilted waistcoat as lining in my Ashby

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you size down on the liner or wear the same as the jacket ?
Since the Ashby is basically a slim fit Bedale, I went with the official Barbour advice on this, so one size down for the liner compared to the Ashby.

bzh689

Reaction score
Here are my Beauhurst and Longhurst jackets. Longhurst is the best thing ever, so heavy duty.
Dear Purplelabel, thanks for your prompt reply! As far as i can guess by looking at your photos you prefer your Longhurst to your Beauchamp - why? Could you please kindly give more details? How long do you use your Longhurst? What about buttons and buttonholes - do they bother you anyhow?
And one more question: is your Longhurst's lining made of pure wool or is it blended? I've recently made some research and have found out that there have been two variants of Longhurst: one has a blended lining and another has pure wool.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Purplelabel, thanks for your prompt reply! As far as i can guess by looking at your photos you prefer your Longhurst to your Beauchamp - why? Could you please kindly give more details? How long do you use your Longhurst? What about buttons and buttonholes - do they bother you anyhow?
And one more question: is your Longhurst's lining made of pure wool or is it blended? I've recently made some research and have found out that there have been two variants of Longhurst: one has a blended lining and another has pure wool.
I don’t own the beauchamp, just the beauhurst which is a lighter non waxed version.
They’re both cut the the same with the same features but the Longhurst is 8oz with a thick cotton lining. I don’t think I’ve seen one that has pure wool lining as per yet.

I sold my Northumbria as my Longhurst is just so much better.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Private White VC and own several pieces. I always loved their waxed Twin Track as a solid alternative to Barbour. Still on the lookout for an old one. This is a new release.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I like Private White VC and own several pieces. I always loved their waxed Twin Track as a solid alternative to Barbour. Still on the lookout for an old one. This is a new release.

I just think that you can pick up a Barbour for a third of the price as the PWVC/PS version - is it worth it?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think that you can pick up a Barbour for a third of the price as the PWVC/PS version - is it worth it?
The PWVC just seems better constructed (more solid, zippers have more weight and seem more substantial. Lining much more comfortable, better finishing at the end of the sleeves, better cut all around). Now is it worth 3x the price? Obviously that's more subjective. Although I can't imagine paying the now $1100 for the newest Twin Track

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5C995527-45F1-4216-AA7F-DEF58132547B.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics