• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

leparrain7

Reaction score
I would prefer to go with size 38, as the Bedale has a more relaxed fit that the Ashby, size 40 only if you intend to use it over a sports jacket, Pitti Uomo style. I own a Beaufort and an International A7, both size 38, a Transport size "M" and I have tried the Ashby in size "L", as the "M" is too tight for me.
thank you Mercurio for your answer ??
in a blazer and a suit I'm a 40 too. so the Bedale has a looser fit like the Beaufort?
no, I haven't achieved sartorial perfection to have the Pitti Uomo style ??

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you Mercurio for your answer ??
in a blazer and a suit I'm a 40 too. so the Bedale has a looser fit like the Beaufort?
no, I haven't achieved sartorial perfection to have the Pitti Uomo style ??
I also use 40 with most of my blazers, I haven't used a suit since a few years now when I had to use them almost every day. The Bedale and the Beaufort are, in my view, quite similar in terms of fit, I would choose the same size in both models.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go true to size in both barbour and tailoring. The Barbours are a looser fit in the body but you’ll feel restricted in the shoulders/armpit area if you go too small.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posted in the WAYWT thread. My navy Runal jacket from the Land Rover crossover project a couple of years ago. I've really fallen in love with this coat. It's not made in the UK like my Border, but the quality seems equal, plus a lot of style cues (leather trimming, button front, left chest pocket) to the Skyfall jacket.

I found it on a clearance rack at Orvis the night I picked up my Border's return from Barbour after 15 years of repairs having been done. It was an impulse, 2-Martini purchase, but I haven't regretted it in the least.

fEbFeV.md.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently bought a Beaufort and I am impressed. The cut is roomier than I'm used to but that just allows for more layering (sport coats). I love it. What lining would you recommend for winter?
View attachment 1556432

Nice coat.

Eset

Reaction score
Recently bought a Beaufort and I am impressed. The cut is roomier than I'm used to but that just allows for more layering (sport coats). I love it. What lining would you recommend for winter?

I own this one and use it occasionally with my Beaufort.
Since the lining only covers the torso, I don't find it particularly beneficial for the silhuette. Many also tend to get a hump on the back.
My preferred way of keeping warm therefore is simply putting on a sports coat under the Beaufort when it gets cold (c. 3-8°C) - and switching to my parka when it's freezing.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious as to the opinions regarding having a Barbour repaired. I know that a well worn in look is desired, but can that go too far? I sent a 16 year old Border in for repairs, which were extensive (roughly the cost of a new coat), but it was completely beat (numerous rips large and small, 3-4 inches of zipper torn from the body of the coat) as the extreme cold and dry of a Chicago winter isn't exactly what they're engineered for. The jacket had been on four continents though, and I wanted it to live on.

So anyways, I was kind of shocked at how extensive the repairs were. Whole panels replaced, but I've come to like it. The slightly evident (more so in the pic than to the naked eye) new panels give it a unique kind of battered and used patina. Here's a pic of it after a home rewaxing.

fnTy22.jpg

I'd like to get others' thoughts on repairing versus going natural.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious as to the opinions regarding having a Barbour repaired. I know that a well worn in look is desired, but can that go too far? I sent a 16 year old Border in for repairs, which were extensive (roughly the cost of a new coat), but it was completely beat (numerous rips large and small, 3-4 inches of zipper torn from the body of the coat) as the extreme cold and dry of a Chicago winter isn't exactly what they're engineered for. The jacket had been on four continents though, and I wanted it to live on.

So anyways, I was kind of shocked at how extensive the repairs were. Whole panels replaced, but I've come to like it. The slightly evident (more so in the pic than to the naked eye) new panels give it a unique kind of battered and used patina. Here's a pic of it after a home rewaxing.

fnTy22.jpg

I'd like to get others' thoughts on repairing versus going natural.
If you didn’t have the memories/life story with it, then I would have bought a new one. Good choice to stick with it.

Leander walker

Reaction score
I. Was dismayed to find that every Barbour jacket I looked at in Barbour store,other than the Bedale and Beaufort are made in Moldova or some other country,and nothing England. Why does a brand that so much emphasizes their Britishness and Royal Warren's do so littlel actual manufacturing in the UK. Doesn't this matter to the customer. I own both the jackets that are made in England and was looking to purchase others. Am I the only one that cares about this?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I. Was dismayed to find that every Barbour jacket I looked at in Barbour store,other than the Bedale and Beaufort are made in Moldova or some other country,and nothing England. Why does a brand that so much emphasizes their Britishness and Royal Warren's do so littlel actual manufacturing in the UK. Doesn't this matter to the customer. I own both the jackets that are made in England and was looking to purchase others. Am I the only one that cares about this?
This is a subject matter that comes again and again from time to time. The reality is that a brand such as Barbour needs to remain competitive if it doesn't want to follow The fate of so many other English brands and enterprises that had to close or sell their assets to a foreign investor to survive. It's no secret that wages in England are a lot higher than in other places so are their products. To make them affordable every company needs to look for different production alternatives and this is one of the reasons to relocate their factories but keeping their know-how and traditions.

In the end, if the quality standards and designs are maintained, I don't care too much about its country of origin. I prefer this to have to pay a higher price for the same garment just because it says “Made in England” on their label. Other brands such as Private White V.C. guarantee that all their products are made in England but you have to pay a high premium for this.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boooooring.

All made abroad. All brilliant.

A0804AAC-7AB3-4073-BF01-E44787BD47E7.jpeg
42CB2431-0E62-4C7F-A8DA-91119F229BB8.jpeg
D8E14256-D328-4BB9-853B-81A8F3D62542.jpeg
03FC2A2A-BCC7-4D68-91D6-50D445CBF36E.jpeg
F120CAD3-ECB8-4A14-9E3E-2EBDE50F8CB0.jpeg
534B3267-EA5F-4DEA-8120-8F7175389EDF.jpeg

Eset

Reaction score
This is a subject matter that comes again and again from time to time. The reality is that a brand such as Barbour needs to remain competitive if it doesn't want to follow The fate of so many other English brands and enterprises that had to close or sell their assets to a foreign investor to survive. It's no secret that wages in England are a lot higher than in other places so are their products. To make them affordable every company needs to look for different production alternatives and this is one of the reasons to relocate their factories but keeping their know-how and traditions.

In the end, if the quality standards and designs are maintained, I don't care too much about its country of origin. I prefer this to have to pay a higher price for the same garment just because it says “Made in England” on their label. Other brands such as Private White V.C. guarantee that all their products are made in England but you have to pay a high premium for this.
+1
It doesn't matter to me if workers with an Indian passport in an English factory or English citizens in a factory on Mars produce it. What matters is the quality, a sustainable supply chain and if the workers receive fair wages. There is no direct causality between the location of the factory and the quality of the product. There is a direct causality between the level of the workers and the quality of the product.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Barbour is striking the best balance they can. Yes, some items are now made in Eastern Europe, but that's a far stretch from scraping the bottom of the barrel in the cheapest East Asian sweatshop they can find. I have two coats (an English made Border and a Moldovan made Runal), and I find the quality comparable.

FWIW, I think Borders are also still made in England if you're looking for a third.

leparrain7

Reaction score
and me who thought it was only their quilted jackets which are made in eastern europe and that they kept making their waxed cotton jacket in england ...
anyway i share the opinion which state that as long as the quality is there, that the working conditions of the workers are good and their rights are respected, regardless of the place of manufacture.
on another subject, here I was able to get this Leeward model which I find beautiful, but too heavy and hot compared to the Ashby or Bedale that I was looking for.
C1898758-41F5-4040-B009-AEFE2ECEC332.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads