• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

hurrella

Reaction score
A question about separately ordered Polarquilt inserts for the Beauforts. Whereas sizes for the Beaufort and Beaufort Classic jackets are done in numbers, eg 44, 46, etc., I’ve seen some of the zip in inserts using the same scheme but others sized with letters, eg M-L-XL, etc. Does it matter?

Sepetate issue: a lot of on line reviews from purchasers say the zip in is a fine stand alone vest but is lousy when joined with the jacket. Mostly because when putting on the jacket the arm holes of the vest & jacket don’t line up right.

is that a broadly held view? Should one simply find a vest you like and not worry about having something that zips into the jacket?

In my experience, I’ve got a zip in warm pile liner for my Classic Beaufort and although not perfect (in terms of having arm holes and them not always lining up when you got to put the jacket on), it does zip in to the jacket nicely and I’d say is definitely more convenient than wearing a separate gilet - and a lot better than the pop in liners for the vintage jackets. To be honest, I’d say I probably have a month maximum in a year it’s worth putting in and layer with a jumper or cardigan underneath - although I’ve been making the most of it the last week with the freezing weather! Size wise I’ve got a 40 jacket and just went with a 40 liner - although I’ve never come across them sized with S, M, L etc. but you want to get it as close as possible size wise so it fits neatly in. A lot of reviews say the warm pile liner is the warmest one you can get (although also the bulkiest, and would look a bit weird worn just by itself whereas I appreciate the polar quilt ones look better, although not to my style!). Hope that helps somewhat!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question about separately ordered Polarquilt inserts for the Beauforts. Whereas sizes for the Beaufort and Beaufort Classic jackets are done in numbers, eg 44, 46, etc., I’ve seen some of the zip in inserts using the same scheme but others sized with letters, eg M-L-XL, etc. Does it matter?

Sepetate issue: a lot of on line reviews from purchasers say the zip in is a fine stand alone vest but is lousy when joined with the jacket. Mostly because when putting on the jacket the arm holes of the vest & jacket don’t line up right.

is that a broadly held view? Should one simply find a vest you like and not worry about having something that zips into the jacket?
In my experience, I’ve got a zip in warm pile liner for my Classic Beaufort and although not perfect (in terms of having arm holes and them not always lining up when you got to put the jacket on), it does zip in to the jacket nicely and I’d say is definitely more convenient than wearing a separate gilet - and a lot better than the pop in liners for the vintage jackets. To be honest, I’d say I probably have a month maximum in a year it’s worth putting in and layer with a jumper or cardigan underneath - although I’ve been making the most of it the last week with the freezing weather! Size wise I’ve got a 40 jacket and just went with a 40 liner - although I’ve never come across them sized with S, M, L etc. but you want to get it as close as possible size wise so it fits neatly in. A lot of reviews say the warm pile liner is the warmest one you can get (although also the bulkiest, and would look a bit weird worn just by itself whereas I appreciate the polar quilt ones look better, although not to my style!). Hope that helps somewhat!

From my experience, Barbour uses either number sizing or letter sizing (hit or miss, which one, depending on country, and who is selling)

See this: https://www.barbour.com/us/size-guides/mens-size-fit-guide

I have never had an issue when I had the liner zipped in, where the arm holes don’t line up. I will say the mechanism (two side zips with snap at the collar) is not best though. I have a Macintosh rain coat with zip in liner, and it has buttons near the armpits, along with side zips, and collar attachment, to keep the liner aligned, it is a better system than Barbour. The guy who sold me the Barbour and liner recommend just layering, and not attaching the liner to the coat (I wear a Beaufort) that seem to work, but requires a little more effort when putting on/taking off the outwear

Like @hurrella there are not many weeks in the year (for me at least) when I need the Beaufort and liner. Note I am usually wearing some sort of knitwear, Shetland or the like when it is cold, that plus Beaufort work 90% of the time.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, Barbour uses either number sizing or letter sizing (hit or miss, which one, depending on country, and who is selling)

See this: https://www.barbour.com/us/size-guides/mens-size-fit-guide

I have never had an issue when I had the liner zipped in, where the arm holes don’t line up. I will say the mechanism (two side zips with snap at the collar) is not best though. I have a Macintosh rain coat with zip in liner, and it has buttons near the armpits, along with side zips, and collar attachment, to keep the liner aligned, it is a better system than Barbour. The guy who sold me the Barbour and liner recommend just layering, and not attaching the liner to the coat (I wear a Beaufort) that seem to work, but requires a little more effort when putting on/taking off the outwear

Like @hurrella there are not many weeks in the year (for me at least) when I need the Beaufort and liner. Note I am usually wearing some sort of knitwear, Shetland or the like when it is cold, that plus Beaufort work 90% of the time.

Thanks to you and @hurrella both. Much appreciated.

@hpreston One curious thing about sizing of the inserts is that with a least a couple of the larger US based retailers selling Barbour- Orvis and O’Connells - they both sell the five or six classic cotton waxed jackets with numerical sizing but sell the inserts for those very same jackets with letter sizing, just as does the US version of Barbour’s website. Curious.

I hear what you saying about rarely needing anything warmer than a sweater underneath. If it gets colder than that, I have my trusty Bransdale.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you and @hurrella both. Much appreciated.

@hpreston One curious thing about sizing of the inserts is that with a least a couple of the larger US based retailers selling Barbour- Orvis and O’Connells - they both sell the five or six classic cotton waxed jackets with numerical sizing but sell the inserts for those very same jackets with letter sizing, just as does the US version of Barbour’s website. Curious.

I hear what you saying about rarely needing anything warmer than a sweater underneath. If it gets colder than that, I have my trusty Bransdale.

Barbour coat and vest/liner sizing is indeed very curious and confusing, (at least to me)

hurrella

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the different Barbour waxes? I want to rewax my vintage A7, I know it sounds weird but don’t want to lose the wax smell... will I, if I use the modern wax? Trying to track down the vintage ones on eBay but only can find the 40 ml tins

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the different Barbour waxes? I want to rewax my vintage A7, I know it sounds weird but don’t want to lose the wax smell... will I, if I use the modern wax? Trying to track down the vintage ones on eBay but only can find the 40 ml tins

doesn’t matter. All the same stuff

Kevin24

Reaction score
A few questions

1) My classic Barbour Beaufort has developed several holes in the arms. Even though it is still wearable, could Barbour's repair service fix it?

2) Are at least some of Barbour's jackets still produced in Shields? As it seems, every new Barbour Beaufort and Bedale, I encounter seems made in Eastern Europe or elsewhere.

3) In terms of alternatives, is everyone familiar with these? As they all state in "Made in England" and retail cheaper than Barbour.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2) Are at least some of Barbour's jackets still produced in Shields? As it seems, every new Barbour Beaufort and Bedale, I encounter seems made in Eastern Europe or elsewhere.

I understand that as a heritage brand, provenance is somewhat important...but has anyone actually noticed a drop in quality for items made outside of England?

pbxl

Reaction score
Read the last 50 pages and glad to have found the Barbour Heaven.. there's another one but in french (depiedencap).
I'm Belgian and do horse riding. had severall bedale always bought used.. and destroyed..
Also have an old international and beaufort... and a ashby with sweat arms (wtf are they doing?)
Did not read about stormsure reparation in the last 50 pages.. I do it in all my barbour and if well done.. this thing last.
For the rewaxing.. done it with Barbour.. but then switched to Fjallraven wax which was easier to apply (no need to preheat up) and now a mix of water/bee wax/ parrafin.. the best result.

My feedback on Ashby
1/I was pleased to read about the ashby sleeves problems.. it is.
2/The other problem when you do horse riding is absence of the storm cuff.. my pull sleeves takes the smell of my horse.. I love him but prefer to let his smell away....
3/the wax cotton is really thin (thickness International>beaufort>bedale>ashby.. even if they say its the same thickness)
4/positive : the fitting is perfect and I like the golden button (I know, I know).. will replace the plasticy sleeves
5/Buy it again?... no

Final though
I wear barour because these jackets do not take the smell easily .. mine do not smell the horse..
The collar really protect me from the rain
I dig the patina of an old barbour.. preferably in brown or olive.. looks like old leather
Easy 2 way zippers .. (I also done horse riding with beaufort because of this)
Quality : It was better before ?

Enjoy yours..

Rem have an old barbour pin/badge with the "locking" ball.. can not make it work again.. looked on internet did not found the answer if anyone can help on this..

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I have now doubled my Barbour "collection," having pulled the trigger at lunch yesterday on a new Classic Beaufort (MIE). A couple of years ago I got a Bransdale from O'Connell's when they closed them out at a big discount. In fact, my size was the last one they had.

Anyway, I noticed the zipper on the Beaufort is on my left side. As far as I knew, every other zipped jacket I've ever owned has had the zipper on my right hand side. Curious, when I got home I checked my Bransdale and noticed (for apparently the first time in two years) it also has its zipper on the left side. A quick check with Mr. Google suggests the convention of zippers on the right for men's jackets but on the left for most women's jackets is primarily an American thing. In Europe and Japan, men's jackets usually have the zipper on the left.

Or so says the internet.

In any event, me being left handed doesn't help at all.

So, the moral to this story is if you drop a lot of coin on a Barbour jacket, for no extra charge you just may learn some factoids to enthrall people at parties.

Now my quest for knowledge turns to the various snap-on hoods for the Beaufort. In the meantime, testing at my home lab has revealed that the (free for no extra charge) hood for the Bransdale has six snaps, the middle four of which fit on the four studs on the Beafort. And the hood is sage-ish, not olive, and is not waxed and the tartan is different. None of which would matter in a pinch. But, might has well get the Beaufort its own hood and be done with it.

Are there options other than the 6 oz. Sylkoil in Olive (MHO 0003OL7) (well, other than color)?

Last edited:

hurrella

Reaction score
OK, I have now doubled my Barbour "collection," having pulled the trigger at lunch yesterday on a new Classic Beaufort (MIE). A couple of years ago I got a Bransdale from O'Connell's when they closed them out at a big discount. In fact, my size was the last one they had.

Anyway, I noticed the zipper on the Beaufort is on my left side. As far as I knew, every other zipped jacket I've ever owned has had the zipper on my right hand side. Curious, when I got home I checked my Bransdale and noticed (for apparently the first time in two years) it also has its zipper on the left side. A quick check with Mr. Google suggests the convention of zippers on the right for men's jackets but on the left for most women's jackets is primarily an American thing. In Europe and Japan, men's jackets usually have the zipper on the left.

Or so says the internet.

In any event, me being left handed doesn't help at all.

So, the moral to this story is if you drop a lot of coin on a Barbour jacket, for no extra charge you just may learn some factoids to enthrall people at parties.

Now my quest for knowledge turns to the various snap-on hoods for the Beaufort. In the meantime, testing at my home lab has revealed that the (free for no extra charge) hood for the Bransdale has six snaps, the middle four of which fit on the four studs on the Beafort. And the hood is sage-ish, not olive, and is not waxed and the tartan is different. None of which would matter in a pinch. But, might has well get the Beaufort its own hood and be done with it.

Are there options other than the 6 oz. Sylkoil in Olive (MHO 0003OL7) (well, other than color)?

There is also a storm hood available if I remember rightly - I’ve got the normal 6 oz Sylkoil hood in Olive for my Beaufort; it definitely does the job but I’ve heard the storm hood is warmer and is easier to shape around your head... not tried it myself though!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding vests/gilets and sizing, a few recent observations:

* Trying on vests this evening, I noticed that the Polarfleece zip in vest in XL is as big or bigger, at least through the waist, as the Lowerdale in 2XL. Odd.

* The Filson Ultralight vest, which I would opine is comparable to both of the above, if not a smidge nicer, in XL is significantly larger than the Lowerdale in 2XL and is perhaps slightly larger than the Polarfleece in XL.

* All three worked nicely beneath my size 46 Classic Beaufort, though I didn't try to zip either of the Barbour's into the Beaufort.

Anyway, perhaps this may be of some benefit to those shopping for a vest/gilet to wear under their Barbour jacket or as simply a standalone.

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
hey all, i have a nwt barbour x engineered garments cowan in black. before i list it on the 'bay, figured i would offer it here first. was going to list it at $795, but would take $600 if anyone here wants it.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the “regular” snap on hoods versus the waxed “storm hoods?” 003OL71 vs. 005OL71.

The later appears longer, has no tartan, but is quilted “for warmth.” No mention is made on the removable wire stiffener like on the “regular” model. I can’t find the latter on Barbour’s web site but both are on O’Connell’s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics