• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Webbo

Reaction score
Got my first Barbour yesterday, the Trooper. While its not made in the UK (or does not state it is) the quality is excellent. I should have got one years ago!

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
^^ I'd probably try vinegar, that shouldn't affect the wax or cotton. You could use a dilute solution of water and vinegar so it's not so strong.

Internet mentions oxyclean and other types of color-safe bleaches to kill the fungus.
Thanks fushaw. My Barbour Moorland needs some patching up and I found some old (Alan Partridge?) waxed cotton material from a coat that was shortened, but it was mouldy. So I'm going to cut a few bits from a donor Northumbria instead, Will post a pic when it is done.

Attachments

• IMG_0694[1].JPG
    IMG_0694[1].JPG
    168 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
anyone tell me the model name for this international jacket? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8BA17A12-1DAC-4F3C-8FE3-1631A4C18D2B.jpeg
    8BA17A12-1DAC-4F3C-8FE3-1631A4C18D2B.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 165

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
04DA1D85-48E7-4A3F-AA23-DC0BCC2030CC.jpeg
E0834613-1DA7-4BD5-B304-0F53E3ABE900.jpeg
A7EBE0DC-50D1-427E-800F-8365D78B4C31.jpeg
8A1F6914-2188-4689-839F-8A28366C0E68.jpeg
ABE52D05-ADEA-4286-9312-E59ED38EB6B5.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4678E107-49FF-4DB7-99A9-5CE320F01F46.jpeg
F5C67C9E-47D3-43F4-9E84-A9C33B61314A.jpeg
CF9EB82B-F33B-437A-9DEF-BC5794B03E18.jpeg

otacon

Reaction score
Is there any way to clean mildew off of waxed cotton without damaging it?

Sunlight or a UV light (may affect the color) + vinegar (or alcohol if you're daring) to kill it chemically, and a good brushing to remove it.

If it's really bad, I'd probably just wash it and then rewax it (and send it in later to have it done thoroughly,) though no one else is likely to suggest that. Apparently Barbour has trouble rewaxing items if they've been washed, if I remember correctly.

otacon

Reaction score
You fellas come to a verdict on whether or not the Gold Standard stuff is worth the upgrade?

I'm really curious if the Supra Commander has the same breathability issues as the original Tokito. And I'm kind of in love with the Supra Corbridge, from the pictures and descriptions.

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You fellas come to a verdict on whether or not the Gold Standard stuff is worth the upgrade?

I'm really curious if the Supra Commander has the same breathability issues as the original Tokito. And I'm kind of in love with the Supra Corbridge, from the pictures and descriptions.

im after the black supa commander. I need to try it on first before buying regardless.

VincentC

Reaction score
Really want to nail my size with an online order of a Beaufort. I'm looking to move on from my Ashbys. I'm a bit of a weird size. 6'1", 165lb or so, shorter torso. Somehow I wear a size small in my 2 Ashbys, though I cannot layer. I mostly wear them with just a button-up, and they're trim. Suit size is 38R.

Should I stick with c38 or go down a bump to c36? I can't see myself layering underneath too much, maybe one thicker sweater at most.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a Beaufort in Olive Sylkoil. Noticed straightaway that the main branded interior label didn't match the one on retailer's website - no mention of Made in England. Barbour UK confirmed in July that the Beaufort was still made in England but this doesn't appear to be true - at leat not on this model.

Sleeves are very short on this jacket compared to the one I inherited – I probably need to size up. Also, the velcro storm cuffs are a bit rubbish TBH. Not entirely sure about the Sylkoil finish but they don't have offer a good green in the waxed version. Apart from that it's not a bad jacket

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I stick with c38 or go down a bump to c36? I can't see myself layering underneath too much, maybe one thicker sweater at most.

I would stick with the 38 if you are tall because the sleeves are short on this jacket IMO.

Shteve

Reaction score
"...the velcro storm cuffs are a bit rubbish TBH. Not entirely sure about the Sylkoil finish but they don't have offer a good green in the waxed version. Apart from that it's not a bad jacket"

With having the lockdown and wanting to be sure of my choice of jacket I've taken the opportunity to think over my options more and am very tempted by the Beaufort. I've not tried one on yet but if I do go for one it's my intention to send it to Barbour to have the storm cuffs removed and either replaced with the knitted cuffs of the bedale or just left without.

Reaction score
Sleeves are very short on this jacket compared to the one I inherited – I probably need to size up. Also, the velcro storm cuffs are a bit rubbish TBH.
I read this somewhere online that because the Beaufort is a shooting jacket the velcro cuffs are designed to break apart when you quickly raise your gun to your shoulder when you take aim and the sleeves are meant to be short so not to foul your fingers on the trigger again for when raising your gun to the shoulder. Conversely, the elasticated cuffs of the Bedale are designed to stop wind and water getting up the sleeves when horse riding. Every jackets details are specifically designed for their specific function.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads