• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, I’m still smitten with my tokito.

A046284A-37C4-415E-B16C-22DA60C9B8BA.jpeg
9F308967-956E-4697-B451-8DA9950C9F76.jpeg

TailorMadeSwede

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought me a new Barbour/Northumbria jacket. Should I wax it with Northproof dressing before I start using it for the first time or should I wait to wax the jacket until I used it for a year?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought me a new Barbour/Northumbria jacket. Should I wax it with Northproof dressing before I start using it for the first time or should I wait to wax the jacket until I used it for a year?

if it’s new, it’ll have wax on it. Don’t rewax

zhenjie

Reaction score
Barbour Bedale, C38 (1995 I think) on the left vs Barbour Ashby Small on the right.

My vintage Bedale always felt like it has very short sleeves (compared to the already short modern ones), I wonder if the previous owner had them shortened.

barbour-bedale-vs-ashby2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I've finally recieved a reply from Barbour. Also the seller at Cox the Saddler store removed their Made in England advertising from their website.

Classics - back label lining - if the jacket reads ‘Simonside South Shields’ this confirms the jacket was indeed made in South Shields Factory.

Bedale - breast pocket, label on the inside - this is where you’ll often find made in England.

Beaufort - outside right hand side bellow pocket - this is where you’ll often find made in England.

As you can imagine our South Shields factory is limited to a certain number of jacket production quantities per week. Should the business require more jackets than our South Shields factory capacity, the jackets can sometimes be produced in factories outside of South Shields.

Typically this would remain within the UK as we use several factories in Wolverhampton as an example, however this cannot always be guaranteed.

I'm glad this Made in England meme is over. Be advised when you buy a jacket from now on. In my opinion, for their price (which is pretty expensive) is not worth the lottery, because they might send you a MIE one or a foreign one. My guess is that they will always sell a non MIE if they are cheap, like Cox the Saddler, Best in the country, etc. Now I know the huge difference in their prices and now I know why other stores sell it for +300.

I still wear and value the jacket, but it's such s scummy thing to do to advertise their classic line as MIE and sell that image everywhere and guess what, it's just an Ashby.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the one from Skyfall right? Was just recently looking into this with the hood. Guessing it's too late to find one anywhere?

thats correct. eBay is the best place. I’ve got one for sale in small if that works.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I've finally recieved a reply from Barbour. Also the seller at Cox the Saddler store removed their Made in England advertising from their website.

Classics - back label lining - if the jacket reads ‘Simonside South Shields’ this confirms the jacket was indeed made in South Shields Factory.

Bedale - breast pocket, label on the inside - this is where you’ll often find made in England.

Beaufort - outside right hand side bellow pocket - this is where you’ll often find made in England.

As you can imagine our South Shields factory is limited to a certain number of jacket production quantities per week. Should the business require more jackets than our South Shields factory capacity, the jackets can sometimes be produced in factories outside of South Shields.

Typically this would remain within the UK as we use several factories in Wolverhampton as an example, however this cannot always be guaranteed.

I'm glad this Made in England meme is over. Be advised when you buy a jacket from now on. In my opinion, for their price (which is pretty expensive) is not worth the lottery, because they might send you a MIE one or a foreign one. My guess is that they will always sell a non MIE if they are cheap, like Cox the Saddler, Best in the country, etc. Now I know the huge difference in their prices and now I know why other stores sell it for +300.

I still wear and value the jacket, but it's such s scummy thing to do to advertise their classic line as MIE and sell that image everywhere and guess what, it's just an Ashby.
TLDR: now poster has to find something else meaningless to cry about.

Reaction score
TLDR: now poster has to find something else meaningless to cry about.
You were the guy saying Docs made in China had a better quality than the ones made in England? Enough said ?

False advertising shouldn't be meanigless unless you're a soulless clown.

Cennydd

Reaction score
Whatever you say, manchild. If I wanna complain about something wrong, damn right I will.

I feel you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares. Yeah its just some label. But isn't a national flag just some piece of cloth? I think it is the same concept; there is significant meaning behind that Made in England label that matters to a lot of people in the same way a flag or symbol would.

jayvee

Reaction score
Damn I think it will be huge , I am usually a L in most things but this is an XL . Have to see I guess, I’ll update the thread when it arrives. Can’t find any info online about the leather Beaufort?

Well it arrived and as expected it's huge. It actually drowns me and I am pretty big. I'd say it was more like a XXL. The leather is really thin and flexible, its actually super nice. I think I'll look for a medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads