• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Liam0062

Reaction score
Just purchased the Barbour Dalkeith NWT (Orvis) in Navy for $140. Getting sleeves shortened.

This has a similar look to the Commander. I’ve been searching the thread, but haven’t found much information on it. Size large (I’m 5’8, 173) and can easily wear a sweater or gilet with it. I love the look and tailored fit and hope this will be a perfect hybrid (blazer/jacket) for our Buffalo winters. Any comments from the group on this jacket would be appreciated.

Pictures to follow.

fushaw

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried any of the Barbour sweaters? Are they made in the UK or are they exported? I need a good medium blue sweater (not navy) and the Tisbury is a good color.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Can anyone provide quick sizing advice on the Beaufort?

I'm 5'7, 38" chest and 18" shoulders. I wear S/M clothing usually.

Unsure which size I should get? 36 or 38?

Any advice would be appreciated!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
End has reasonably accurate measurements for the Beaufort for the 42 and 44 based on my experience.
The smaller size measurements seem a bit questionable though.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide quick sizing advice on the Beaufort?

I'm 5'7, 38" chest and 18" shoulders. I wear S/M clothing usually.

Unsure which size I should get? 36 or 38?

Any advice would be appreciated!
I am 5'9", 158 pounds, I normally use European size "M", sometimes American size "S". My Beaufort is size 38 and I can wear a pullover underneath. For me, 36 would be too tight for a jacket that was designed to be comfortable, not fitted.

The following chart could be helpful:
(Taken from: https://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/barbour-buyers-guide)

Barbour Bedale & Beafort.jpg

Cennydd

Reaction score
Going to get a Border and I'd like a second opinion here on sizing. I'm about 5'7 and my chest is about 34" so I am planning to get the 34." I'd like to be wearing a liner with it but probably will not layer anything more than one sweater over a t-shirt.

Should I stick with the 34 or go with the 36"?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to get a Border and I'd like a second opinion here on sizing. I'm about 5'7 and my chest is about 34" so I am planning to get the 34." I'd like to be wearing a liner with it but probably will not layer anything more than one sweater over a t-shirt.

Should I stick with the 34 or go with the 36"?

stick with the 34. The border is a classic model so the size already factors in some layering.

always best to try on first, but if not, make sure of the return policy.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried any of the Barbour sweaters? Are they made in the UK or are they exported? I need a good medium blue sweater (not navy) and the Tisbury is a good color.

most everything outside the classic wax range (bedale, Beaufort, etc) is off shored. Usually Eastern Europe or Turkey.

Still quality stuff.

Cennydd

Reaction score
Much obliged, thank you!

Does anyone have any idea how breathable the classic wax range is? I have an Ashby too and it doesn't breathe very well.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much obliged, thank you!

Does anyone have any idea how breathable the classic wax range is? I have an Ashby too and it doesn't breathe very well.
I think it’s the polyester sleeve lining that’s the problem with the Ashby. Others on this thread have said so, and I sent mine to Milford, New Hampshire, to have the polyester replaced* with cotton.

*Sadly, that’s an $80 sewing job, plus $30 shipping each way. More sadly, they f—ed up by removing the corduroy cuffs, so I had to send it back to them. After all that, they’ve had it for a week and I still haven’t heard from their customer service. I hope their UK facility is more competent.

Cennydd

Reaction score
The other thing I was wondering, how tall do you have to be so that the Border reaches its proper length? (Mid-thigh?) At size 34, the Border is 36 inches long and I am 5'7". Will it look ridiculously long on me?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scotland usually.

most everything outside the classic wax range (bedale, Beaufort, etc) is off shored. Usually Eastern Europe or Turkey.

Still quality stuff.

I think the only jackets that are made in England that I own are the Beaufort, Northumbria, Bedale, Westmorland and a quilt or two. The other 20 are all off shore and brilliant.

Liam0062

Reaction score
Just purchased the Barbour Dalkeith NWT (Orvis) in Navy for $140. Getting sleeves shortened.

This has a similar look to the Commander. I’ve been searching the thread, but haven’t found much information on it. Size large (I’m 5’8, 173) and can easily wear a sweater or gilet with it. I love the look and tailored fit and hope this will be a perfect hybrid (blazer/jacket) for our Buffalo winters. Any comments from the group on this jacket would be appreciated.

Pictures to follow.

Jacket fits great. Can’t wait for the weather to turn so I can start wearing this.
6E47C0A2-816B-48B5-B92A-393FCBD481D8.jpeg
4940E3BF-D517-44E6-BFB1-DA4A090E7A41.jpeg
13B09237-A268-4CE4-934E-3E1D9864CE10.jpeg

Attachments

• 5C66EA8E-AD4D-4F4A-9CFA-E397AAB19A25.jpeg
    5C66EA8E-AD4D-4F4A-9CFA-E397AAB19A25.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 3EAB0063-5843-424E-930B-D0C432E454E5.jpeg
    3EAB0063-5843-424E-930B-D0C432E454E5.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1EFB6E8B-6A83-4C8B-9D10-04756833F422.jpeg
    1EFB6E8B-6A83-4C8B-9D10-04756833F422.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 48

Cennydd

Reaction score
Is the warm pile zip in liner the warmest out of Barbour's available options?

conqueror

Reaction score

i have two fair isles in 100% wool. great quality, but bizarrely the tags don't actually say where they were made. conversely, my scarf clearly says it was made in scotland.

edit: the fair isles surprisingly fit quite slim by barbour and even wool sweater standards. i don't think they're slim enough to justify sizing up, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads