1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I've got an early 80's vintage gamefair, it's an awesome jacket. I re-waxed it last fall and now it's wind and water proof!!!

2. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Is the flagship the one at Bloor/Queen's Park?

3. ClassyCanuck

No problem.
    I think you will enjoy it. Especially if you have others.
    This is my first and sadly I know it won't be my last.

Damnit this web forum is really killing my credit card. :)

4. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Styleforum in general has been terrible for my credit haha. I'm sure you all can attest.

Any word on sizing on the martindale? I've got a 40" chest, and got a size large in a standen, which is a modern jacket of theirs. It's snug, especially around the shoulder. I'm looking for something not really baggy, but with room to layer a sweater or a vest.

5. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

has anyone had any experience with the website www.cdatm.com?

it seems like they specialize in barbour with some incredible prices, which seem a bit too good to be true. i'd like to hear more if anyone has any experience with it.

thanks in advance.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The gmail address on the main page is a big clue.

7. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

i agree. but has anyone tried contacting him and/or received some bogus explanation from him? i know when it sounds too good to be true, it probably is but i figure i'd just email him and see what he has to say? better yet, if anyone has had experience with the website, it's even better...

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

:facepalm:

9. opare

opare New Member

Hey guys i ve been searching for days to find what kind of brand is this jacket ! Any help will be much appreciated!!! :))))

[​IMG]

ANY IDEA?? :) :)

10. ClassyCanuck

I'm stocky 46 chest and bought this in an XL.
    With the layers that I mentioned before it's fine still a little loose. It's more of a relaxed fit.

Hope that helps.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

check out penfield

12. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

That's a huge help. I'm going to get the L. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  13. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

I wouldn't really expect someone who very well might be a scammer to be the best witness towards his or her own character, but beyond that, Barbour's official site has some info about how to spot these sorts of operations:

http://www.barbour.com/counterfeit-education

They fail in several areas:

1. Contact email is a Gmail address.
    2. The site isn't listed as an authorized online retailers.
    3. They're selling Barbour at a steep discount.
    4. Their homepage says "We specialize in selling barbour jacket winter"
    5. They didn't even bother to replace the Lorem Ipsum text in the newsletter section ("Vulputate blandit curabitur tincidunt")

Seriously, there is almost no way this site is legit.

1 person likes this.
  14. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

thanks. i think you're spot on. really appreciate it. i knew i'd get good answer from the barbour experts!

15. ClassyCanuck

Great stuff.
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

16. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

No worries. Had a similar concern myself awhile back and stumbled across that Barbour page.

1 person likes this.
  17. jwinstonc

jwinstonc Member

So, just to follow up on sizing for the Ashby. I went with the XL which arrived yesterday. I remembered the L was pretty snug when I tried it on this summer. The XL fits perfectly through the shoulders and the sleeves are long enough. The body of the jacket is a little loose but I think that's just how these fit and it'll be fine with an added liner. The length of the jacket is right on as well. I was a 40 in the beaufort and a 42 in bedale but felt the beaufort was a little long and the bedale was too short and wide. The Ashby falls right in between those.

I was thinking of returning the XL and trying the L, but decided to keep the XL as I want to wear this jacket for a long time and will undoubtedly put on some weight over the next 5-10 years to fill out the jacket. I also think the L would be too constricting in the shoulders (the XL snugs up in the shoulders when I reach). I'm happy with the jacket over the standard offerings like the beaufort and bedale. The sleeves are narrower (more of a straight opening the whole way vs the wide shoulder/bicep area of standards) and the jacket as a whole has a more contemporary fit. Also, I think the collar is a little smaller than the standard offerings and I prefer the simplified cuffs with corduroy inside vs the knit cuffs of the bedale and snaps of the beaufort. A last differentiator that I really like is the brass buttons on the front vs the dark olive ones on the others. I think they bring in a touch of the International look and add a little more style.

Anyway, this is a bit rambly, but there's not a whole lot of information on the fit of Ashbys so hopefully this helps someone. The I found the P2P measurements of the XL to be right at 50. Happy New Year!

1 person likes this.
  18. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

It's not a store I visit often, and I don't remember the SAs being especially good or bad - I look on my own and want them out of my way. I do remember a slightly shorter length toggle coat from Gloverall that was gorgeous and later checked online to find the Stollery sale price was definitely a legit sale price. When I got back to the US I couldn't find the coat anywhere - that particular coat wasn't available via the Internet outside the UK. I have no idea about Stollerys' Barbour pricing - but it almost seems like some stores in TO haven't changed prices since the US Dollar was worth $1.50 Cdn. My assistance to the Candian economy (eg buying stuff) has gone way down the last 3 or 4 years. Personally, I would only get Barbour stuff back in the US.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  19. magro

magro Active Member

Does the vest which can be zipped into the bedale actually add any warmth. Would it be worth it?

20. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Buy the warm pile liner. You won't regret it.