1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the Barbour Bristol? Its supposed to be just a slimmer version of the Beaufort. I need longer sleeves than normal, and am looking for a Beaufort, so I am thinking of just getting the bristol, but sizing up one. (L to XL, as im a 40" chest, and the XL comes with around a 48" chest, which is in line with the barbour beaufort in a 40). Any have any experience with any of this?

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

If your chest measures 40", the XL is going to be gigantic on you. For that matter the L is probably going to be too big too.

3. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I've been trying to get a feel for how these would fit. I have 2 jackets of thinner material, kind of like track jackets, with 48" chests, and they fit me very slim (the excess just folds under my arms really). But for a slim suit jacket, I would take about a 42" chest jacket. I find the stiffness of the material plays a big role. I just ordered a Standen in a L, so im going to see how that fits, and pass some more judgement after that.

Im having trouble thinking about buying a new beaufort in a 38, then spending $100+ to send it to barbour and back to have the sleeves lengthened.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah if your arms are long, sleeve length will be an issue. Don't they make the Beaufort in long lengths? I've got a Beaufort in my suit size and it's too big. I could wear a suit and an overcoat and then put the Beaufort on over it. The actual sleeve length of the jacket however is correct.

You really need to just measure yourself with a tape measure, measure some of your existing garments and look for measurements of garments online. Don't forget that if you get something too big in the chest, it's going to drape down and make the sleeve seem longer.

5. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I've measured lots of stuff, and I think this standen is going to work. For slim fits, 42 inch chest on garments works, 44 if I want a sweater. I'm tall, 6'4, but I have long arms even for my height, I wear a 38.5 sleeve in shirts. Im ok with having a slouchier fit, thats kind of what im going for, But in order to get the correct sleeve length, it would need to order a size 52 in the beaufort (based on countryattire.com measurements), which would be just big enough to make a 3 person tent with. They don't come in long/tall sizes, as far as im aware. Im alright with the sleeves being an inch or two short, thats part of the barbour appeal, I think, but I don't want them 5 inches too short. So I think I will inevitably have to get them lengthened.

6. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

My chest size is 40 inches, but I usually get my suits in 42 or 44 because of my slightly wider than normal shoulders. The 40 bedale feels a little tight in the shoulders/short in the sleeves, but even layering with a shirt and my thickest sweater, I have maybe an extra 4 or 5 inches in the chest. So the shoulder area is tight but the body just kinda drapes and flares out like a dress. This is the strangest fit I have experienced with a jacket, but then again I think I have slightly wider shoulders and slightly longer arms.

I am also trying to go for a slouchy fit, but as of right now, it DOES fit like a tent, like everyone describes it here.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

i have a sage sl bedale in 38 that i got from trunk. absolutely astounding kjacket but i need a 40. thought id see if theres any interest here before i send it back to england. would trade for a 40

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Barbour has the weirdest sizing and cuts of anything I've ever tried on. I'm lucky to have found one at Bloomingdale's for comparison and gotten the measurements from End before ordering or I wouldn't have had any idea what size to order.

9. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Hmmm, I see that there is an option for lengthening sleeves for $75. Has anyone gone two sizes down and lengthened the sleeves?

10. danger3000

danger3000 Well-Known Member

If anyone is still after a Tokito Beacon Heritage Sports Jacket in size small give me a shout to danger3000@hotmail.co.uk

11. mimogger

mimogger Member

I tried on a bedale yesterday. I measure my chest at 37. The one that fit me well was a 34. Pretty weird.

12. mariokart24

mariokart24 New Member

Looking for a Barbour Gladwell in Medium. Please PM me if you're looking to sell one.

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

anyone looking for a navy quilted vest in xs? thanks

14. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

I am wearing a Bedale size 34 (UK). Which size should I pick for my liner? Which one is the warmest?

What's the difference between the warm pile liner and quilted zip liner?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

even the tokito line varies. i think a lot of it is due to the de-centralized manufacturing. ive handing barbour made in singapore, bulgaria, Lithuania, etc.

i cant think of another heritage brand that doesnt have a centralized manufacturing point for each respective item

1 person likes this.
  16. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I wear a 42 in suit size. I decided to keep a 40 bedale. Pretty slouchy fit, but does not look bad. Now I'm awaiting a polarquilt liner I bought from bloomingdales for $80. Waitlisted til mid January. Hope the vest makes the fit a little less slouchy.

17. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Pick the one with "warm" in its name.

18. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Which size did you choose for your liner?

19. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I chose the medium liner. The barbour site says its for chest size of 38-40. The nordstrom's website actually says to order the large liner for a size 40 bedale, but I think I read a couple reviews somewhere that said a medium liner would be fine for a 40.

20. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

So just to kind of give a check in. I received my Barbour Standen today. Its a size L, 24" pit to pit, and about the same at the hem. I have a 40" chest, and normally wear a 40L for jackets, and L or XL in most garments (for reference, 6'4, 205lbs, athletic figure). I was worried it was going to be too big. But it fits perfectly, maybe even a little bit on the snug side in the upper back/shoulder area. I can't wear my inverallan (ultra thick sweater) underneath, and I couldn't get a suit jacket under either. Its not slouchy at all, with maybe the exception of the bottom hem being a touch billowy. Sleeves are pretty good, maybe a hair short, but I have long arms (wear a 38.5 sleeve dress shirt). Hopefully this helps someone who is trying to decide on the sizing. I know the sizing on these can be tricky as hell, so say the least.