• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How well would a bedale jacket (with hood attachment) stand up to heavy rain?

Providing the waxing is maintained very well - your top half should remain dry whilst everything from your arse downwards will be soaked...

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Any reviews on Barbour classic Durham jacket? I

Thanks

Barbour-Bond

Reaction score
Classic Durham are very nice but have you considered the longhurst? Well worth a look... Depends what you want it for?

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic Durham are very nice but have you considered the longhurst? Well worth a look... Depends what you want it for?

thanks, I tried Durham and the fit is superb. I was thinking to use it for Spring/Fall weather. It has option to use with liner for colder temps.

Last edited:

Barbour-Bond

Reaction score
Ah well that sounds like a good choice but I really would consider (if you get the opportunity) the Longhurst, it's tailored and looks great - has the double high pockets too along with fleece tartan lining for warmth. Also has good but I think anything Barbour won't let you down...

mscott

Reaction score
Well put. Barbours historically have a generous cut to make a allowances for sweaters and the liner because the people who bought them wore the jackets for hunting, wandering over moors, farming and over a suit in the city.

We were discussing the inner arm lining in a specific Beacon Heritage coat...not a "classic" Barbour's fit.

bnigut

Reaction score
To everyone complaining about the "billowy" fit: buy a liner.

Moreover, if you don't like the fit, don't buy it.
I recently purchased the Ashby jacket and am quite happy with its relatively slimmer fit. Still allows for layering in the cold but it is much sleeker and more modern fitting without losing the classic Barbour look. It is shorter than the Beaufort as well.

An attempt to offer sizing help: the downside is it comes in M,L sizes rather than 40,42 sizes. I am about a 41 and like the way my L Ashby fits me. My sleeves are 36 and the Ashby's sleeves are only barely too short - a trade off I'm willing to make for the fit.

wwjbd24

Reaction score
hey guys, I have a barbour trooper (olive, small) and i'm really looking to trade it for a bedale/beaufort (olive or sage, small or 36)

Thanks!

theNarcissist

Reaction score
Anyone who has knowledge regarding how much difference there is between the fit of the Ashby and the Martindale? I don´t have the possibility to try the Martindale but know that a Ashby Small fits me well.

mscott

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what jacket this is? Saw it on tumblr.

marmot8

Reaction score

Anyone who has knowledge regarding how much difference there is between the fit of the Ashby and the Martindale? I don´t have the possibility to try the Martindale but know that a Ashby Small fits me well.

I have the Martindale in a M and preferred the Ashby In a Large. They're very similar I would say...I debated finding a large for the Martindale after receiving the M as a gift. During my search for size, I tried the Ashby in a large and it seemed to fit well. Never found the L, kept the M, and couldn't be happier. Long story short I would say the Martindale is a slightly larger jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads