1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yea I have really broad shoulders...product of working out a ton in college and getting up to 195...now at 165 with much smaller shoulders than I used to have I still cant fit into a 36 without it pulling funny. Its too bad because 36 fits so much better in the waist for me. I love my bedale sad to see it go to the closet, I wore the hell out of it this winter.

Ive been wearing my g9 the last few weeks and even that gets too warm on my walks to work, Idk how people are wearing their blasts and not getting too hot. Anything over 55 and I am breaking a sweat with a jacket on.

2. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

Must be the shoulders thing. I can see no other explanation. The sleeves on the 34 hung almost an inch over the fleshy part at the base of my hand.

I'm still confused about the ashby though. Measurement-wise, the XS through XXL of the ashby is basically the same as the regular bedale size 34 through 44, only difference being that the ashby sleeves are a bit shorter, and in many cases the chest and length is actually greater than the bedale. I just don't see how they can bill it as a slimmer, modern cut bedale, though I've never tried one on.

I wish there existed a thread dedicated entirely to users posting a picture of themselves wearing their barbour along with jacket size, and body weight and height. Could save a lot of returns/exchanges I reckon.

Ashby:

[​IMG]

Bedale:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Where did you get those measurement charts from?

4. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Interesting, because End has different measurements suggesting the Ashby is noticeably slimmer.

6. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

You're right. I don't know about the ashby, but living in Japan I could only find the bedale SL, so I emailed barbour directly about the difference between the regular and SL bedale, and the measurements they gave me were exactly the same as what country attire lists. This would lead me to trust the country attire measurements, but I haven't inquired about the ashby so who knows. In any case, I feel barbour makes sizing unnecessarily complicated.

7. yipjam

yipjam Senior member

Hi can anyone identify the colour and model of this jacket? I believe it's the Bedale but it's got both brown and greenish hues and I just can't accurately tell which colour it is, help would be appreciated! :D [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

Almost positive it is a beaufort (see the rear pockets to the left of his hand, bedale doesn't have that). It is definitely in classic sylkoil olive, any color variation is probably from age + wear.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. yipjam

yipjam Senior member

Thanks for the help, I missed those rear pockets. Is that really the olive colour? Everywhere I look on the internet shows olive as a really dark green colour, and I've read that the Sylkoil finish makes it even darker? That jacket looks quite light.

For example, this is the Beaufort Classic Sylkoil in olive from countryattire.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. theNarcissist

theNarcissist Active Member

Thansk again for the tip, I bought an Ashby at The Highland Store off Oxford Street. It was sold out in my size both at Regent Street and at the flagship store.

1 person likes this.
  11. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

Yes, it is true that brand new, the olive color is dark. But there are only two types of green that this jacket comes in, olive and sage. And it is most certainly not sage. See this picture of sage (it's a deep forest, almost blue-ish green, unlike the olive):

[​IMG]

I think what you are seeing is terms of color variation is a product of age and wear. The olive sykoil color is the one that tends to change over time, not sage. See this picture of an especially worn Bedale (don't let the inside lining fool you into thinking this is sage, the older Barbours were different):

[​IMG]

If that's the sort of color you are looking for (albeit in better condition than this one) I would recommend checking ebay or etsy for a used or vintage Barbour. You'll save yourself money and get a jacket with more character than a brand new one.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

13. Makoreaction

Makoreaction Member

If your jacket was purchased new relatively recently, the easiest way to determine whether it is olive or sage is to look at the lining. Also worth noting is that the sage has a stiff, sleek, shiny look, whereas the olive fabric is less stiff, more textured, and has a matte finish.

This = Olive:

[​IMG]

And this = Sage:

[​IMG]

As I said in my last post in though, some of the older Barbour jackets do not adhere to this. As for currently produced Barbour jackets, I have tried on both the sage and the olive in person, and the olive is definitely lighter than the sage, and has more of the brown undertones yipjam is describing. The interesting thing though is visiting a Barbour warehouse that stocks a large variety of jackets of varying age. There will be nearly as many different shades of green as there are jackets! Age, wear, and the year they were produced all combine to give each one its unique characteristics.

Check this out. This is a post-2004 jacket in sage:

[​IMG]

And this is a pre-2004 jacket in sage:

[​IMG]

As you can see, this is a complicated issue!

1 person likes this.
  14. OmniscientCause

What is a good and reasonable price on the blast?

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks for the pics. The lining is in line with my jacket. I'm just not seeing the bluish undertones that the pic in your previous post shows.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  16. MrKaizen

MrKaizen Well-Known Member

Rewax or not rewax my bedale?
    Do you rewax yearly?

17. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Current 30% off jcrew cardmember codes work on the blast (they have it in bark).

18. OmniscientCause

Yea thanks guys thats why I was asking.

And it currently doesnt work.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  19. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Bummer, looks like it expired yesterday.