1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Gomers

Gomers New Member

Hi,

First post on SF. I live in the UK and just wondered if anyone had ever ordered from here http://www.barbourjacketstyles.com/. The prices seem too good to be true, there are numerous spelling mistakes on the site and no telephone no. is shown, the only method of contact is via email.

Any experiences here, good or bad would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

New for Spring 2013 @ Orvis

Hacking Blazer, great new silhouette.

Sent from my iPhone

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

All the best Barbour retailers are based in China.
    http://www.statscrop.com/www/barbourjacketstyles.com

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. otacon

otacon Senior member

Quick question about the Sports Jacket that might've been already asked (haven't found it yet though).

The lining isn't sewn in around the arm pits--the arms are connected to the body. There might also be a little excess. I figured this was in case you wanted them to adjust the sleeves, and possibly something they'd sew down if you had them do so, with the excess being just in case you needed them lengthened. It's kind of awkward now though. The sleeves are pretty tight (and I don't have big arms) so if the shirt I'm wearing has any slack (i.e. most sweaters) the sleeves will ride up. What's more, I often end up pushing the lining out of the bottom of the sleeve.

Anyone else have this experience?

6. zielschuss

zielschuss Well-Known Member

Last week I finally got back my Mountain Parka. Back in mid November, I had sent an email to the nice folks in New Hampshire at Barbour US repairs and Barbour custormer service asking if it would be possible to have the jacket taken in at the factory. UK customer service told me it was impossible due to the construction of the jacket but US repairs told me they could do it:

"We can take your jacket in for you, but we are limited as to how much. If you look at the sides of the jacket, we have the space between the bellow pockets (lower pockets) and the side seam. Please keep in mind we need at least ½” to put the side seam back in. When we take a jacket in, we tipically take the same amount out from hem to pit. When we do this, it reduces the arm hole. If the arm hole is good, and you wish to take the jacket in please state on the note you include with your jacket “DO NOT ALTER ARM HOLES” .

If you wish to take your jacket in, the cost is $90 + $6 S&H.

Mail you jacket to:

Barbour Inc
    Attn: Repairs
    55 Meadowbrook Dr
    MilfordNH 03055

Please include a note stating what you would like to have done along with your full name, address, day time phone # and e-mail address."

So, I sent my jacket off in late November along with a note asking to take in 2" along the hem at each side seam and 1" at the pit on each seam. About a week later I got an email from Barbour with an order form where the price of the alteration had gone up to $120. They would not take credit card information via email so I tried calling them a few times but could not reach anyone. I eventually sent a letter with all the info but did not hear back from them. I did see a charge on my card in early January so figured we were in business. Fast foward to last week when I finally got the jacket. The alteration took about a month longer than I expected but I'm happy with the results:

[​IMG]

Please excuse my smirk... [​IMG] I'm wearing the thickest sweater I own in the first 3 and just a t-shirt in the last 2. The jacket is a size L and I'm a little under 6'1", 165lbs with a 39" chest and 34" waist. I originally tried on a medium and while it was good in the torso, it was too snug in the shoulders for my tastes. I wish I had taken before pics but believe me, the original jacket was significantly more tent-like; here's a model shot which gives you a good idea of the magnitude of tent-ness on the original:

[​IMG]

If anyone is thinking about having a jacket taken in, I definitely recommend sending it back to the New Hampshire repair department. It was pricier than I thought it would be, but they did great work and made sure all the original details were intact: they closed up the inner liner over the side seams and shortened the elastic bands of the pull-tabs along the hem and at the midsection of the jacket.

7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Very nice. Great fit. You look handsome and sexy.

8. mscott

mscott Member

I can confirm the same experience on my jacket.
    It does feel a bit billowy.

9. danger3000

danger3000 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    Don't crucify me but for anyone desperate for a Barbour Beacon Heritage To Ki To Skyfall jacket I have one available. Email to danger3000@hotmail.co.uk if interested.
    Regards

10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

@ zielschuss

Thanks for sharing your experience. Coat looks great. I wish I had your problem, but using the pulls I can just take it in as needed. I've got a few extra pounds on you and I'm a bit shorter. Doesn't look tent-like on me though. I assume you're not wearing the lining in the photos? Oh, and good price for all that work. The attention to detail with the pulls and such is really important on an alteration like that and sounds like they nailed.

11. otacon

otacon Senior member

All right, so it's not just mine then. I'll email barbour about it later and post the response.

12. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

To everyone complaining about the "billowy" fit: buy a liner.

Moreover, if you don't like the fit, don't buy it.

13. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Over the weekend a retailer in Manhattan informed me that the current Beacon Heritage Collection will be the last to be designed by ToKihito. Is there any truth to this?

Gregg

14. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Could be the case, though I dont know why seeing how popular it is.

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I was in the SoHo store a few months ago (prior to buying my Sport Jacket). I think it was September. The sales rep told me then that Tokito was no longer designing for Barbour - that AW12 was his last season... I mentioned it in this thread at the time.

16. otacon

otacon Senior member

The specific to ki to jackets we're talking about don't take a liner, to my knowledge.

It isn't the jacket itself, but the lining in the sleeves we were talking about. It's really kind of an odd thing, because the sleeves themselves are *tight*, but the lining just kind of moves about when you put your arm through, and if you pull on it when the jacket's open, you might get some slack, almost like there's too much lining (hence, billowy).

I would be surprised if this happened, given the recent popularity and everything. Barbour just got a world more of exposure than it had before. I am glad I took the plunge when I did though, as I was considering waiting until next season.

That said... AW12 wasn't the last season. Spring Summer 2013 is already out, at least for preview.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  17. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Like I said, it was what I was told by a SA. I assumed they know what they were talking about. They suggested Barbour was keeping the Tokito name but that he wouldn't have anything to do with the design.

18. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I was told by either an associate or manager in Chicago that SS13 is the last To Ki To collection. They're going to launch Barbour "Department B" which sounds like the successor line. Tokihito was apparently introduced to Barbour by WP and he has done some Woolrich John Rich and Bros pieces (including AW12), so maybe he'll land there. I'd be fine with that. Anyway, if Tokihito leaving is down to Barbour, don't understand it. I mean his contract being up is one thing, but after AW12 (and that's not to mention the Sport Jacket)...

19. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Well put. Barbours historically have a generous cut to make a allowances for sweaters and the liner because the people who bought them wore the jackets for hunting, wandering over moors, farming and over a suit in the city.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  20. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

How well would a bedale jacket (with hood attachment) stand up to heavy rain?