• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical Barbour Thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I learned there’s a “heritage” version of the Liddesdale. Only shop with them is a macys or Nordstrom nearby. Need to go check it out again.
Heritage means it’s a trimmer cut.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a Barbour Beadnell for my daughter this year and got a Bedale for my son a few years ago. Thinking of one for myself but trying to clear up what the different models are.

Am I correct here? @Purplelabel

Bedale - classic "standard issue" Barbour right out of Central Casting.

Beaufort - a long Bedale but basically the same.

Ashby - a tailored version that folks here seem to sneer at.
Here's a decent article with maybe more info than you require:

One more with more specifics about models:

Personally, I prefer the Beaufort over Bedale due to its just slightly longer length, can double as raincoat over a sportcoat in a pinch. I think either Bedale or Beaufort could qualify as: "right out of Central Casting"

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a decent article with maybe more info than you require:

One more with more specifics about models:

Personally, I prefer the Beaufort over Bedale due to its just slightly longer length, can double as raincoat over a sportcoat in a pinch. I think either Bedale or Beaufort could qualify as: "right out of Central Casting"
Thanks! I think the Beaufort would work best for me. I'll try that and the Bedale on next time I'm at their Georgetown store or the Orvis store here in Arlington. Although, I always ask myself "do I really need more olive green outerwear?" I have a Barbour Challenger already.

1637603169251.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I searched Google for the Challenger pic above this site popped up as an option. Says it's in Pennsylvania but seems way to good to be true. No way Barbour could be so cheap. Pirated?

EDIT: After looking through it the site has SCAM written al over it.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think the Beaufort would work best for me. I'll try that and the Bedale on next time I'm at their Georgetown store or the Orvis store here in Arlington. Although, I always ask myself "do I really need more olive green outerwear?" I have a Barbour Challenger already.

View attachment 1708079
Is the challenger waxed cotton? If so, then yes, a Beaufort is redundant. If anything other than waxed cotton, then not redundant, regardless of color.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the challenger waxed cotton? If so, then yes, a Beaufort is redundant. If anything other than waxed cotton, then not redundant, regardless of color.
Challenger is wool/poly blend with a Gore Tex-like layer for breathability. Works best in cold weather.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1708079
Challenger is wool/poly blend with a Gore Tex-like layer for breathability. Works best in cold weather.
My personal opinion, a waxed cotton Barbour will make a nice addition to your wardrobe. The challenger, and Beaufort are different enough.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.