• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points. The Gold Standard Corbridge has a nice slim fit ( not boxy at all). I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned. Any reputable websites you'd suggest?

Maybe PurpleLabel can chime in, but I'm not sure what makes it "Gold Standard." I did find a regular Corbridge for 169 Pounds (they ship to the US at very reasonable rates) from the place that I just bought my Brobel. There's clearly some stylistic differences, but I'm not sure I'm seeing $700 in difference.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour/corbridge-wax-jacket-605434#colcode=60543415

60543415_l.jpg

marinemustang

Reaction score
Maybe PurpleLabel can chime in, but I'm not sure what makes it "Gold Standard." I did find a regular Corbridge for 169 Pounds (they ship to the US at very reasonable rates) from the place that I just bought my Brobel. There's clearly some stylistic differences, but I'm not sure I'm seeing $700 in difference.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour/corbridge-wax-jacket-605434#colcode=60543415

60543415_l.jpg
Concur. There is not a lot of info on the internet regarding the "Gold Standard" series but what I did learn is that they are limited releases. They are not released annually. I believe there have only been a handful of "Gold Standard" editions since 2007.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concur. There is not a lot of info on the internet regarding the "Gold Standard" series but what I did learn is that they are limited releases. They are not released annually. I believe there have only been a handful of "Gold Standard" editions since 2007.

That explains it. It might even hold value. I guess only you can determine if the extra price is worth it. For me, Barbours are extremely utilitarian, so I'm not sure the extra money would provide additional value to me. That, however, is just my opinion. At the end of the day, do what feels right for you and fits your personal style.

marinemustang

Reaction score
That explains it. It might even hold value. I guess only you can determine if the extra price is worth it. For me, Barbours are extremely utilitarian, so I'm not sure the extra money would provide additional value to me. That, however, is just my opinion. At the end of the day, do what feels right for you and fits your personal style.
All very valid. I'm not one for being so drawn to something just because it's a "one of a few." I place a higher value on comfort and longevity. Maybe because I haven't been exposed to this particular texture but the exterior of this jacket was markedly more durable, thicker and had a beautiful finish. My current Barbour is the 4oz lightweight. Maybe the 6oz Slykoil wax is what turned me on.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold Standard jackets are not worth the price IMO. Some of them are just overweight and bulky editions of the standard jackets.

saying that I’m after the black commander.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice mate, how's the fit as from what I have read/seen this can be a bit on the large & baggy side.
the NTTD jacket that I have seen Craig wearing looks heavily tailored to suit from what I can tell, will you be doing the same.

it fits like a Beaufort to me. Nothing that big about it, maybe it’s just a trim one. I’m wearing it today, so here’s a proper **** pic. But you get the idea.

859FE9B9-0636-4E1B-BB6C-C354F6E6C99A.jpeg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice mate, how's the fit as from what I have read/seen this can be a bit on the large & baggy side.
the NTTD jacket that I have seen Craig wearing looks heavily tailored to suit from what I can tell, will you be doing the same.

I think you are correct. One of the Bond fashion guys did a video on the jacket, and he went into detail on the alterations that he had done. Then again, he thinks a painted on Tom Ford suit is the epitome of style.

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it fits like a Beaufort to me. Nothing that big about it, maybe it’s just a trim one. I’m wearing it today, so here’s a proper **** pic. But you get the idea.

View attachment 1602010

Interesting. It looks distressed like you've worn it heavily in a cold, dry dry environment. Is that just the lighting, or did Barbour try to give it a well worn patina at the factory?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. It looks distressed like you've worn it heavily in a cold, dry dry environment. Is that just the lighting, or did Barbour try to give it a well worn patina at the factory?

it’s a washed finish. Coated though so water repellent.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brobel has landed from England. After trying one on at a Barbour store, I sized down to an L. I won't be wearing it over Shetland sweaters like my Runal or over a suit like with my Border. Sleeves are a bit long. Seeing as this is a huge problem on the Runal, I wonder if Barbour is self-consciously over-compensating for the historic knock of too short sleeves. Anyways, I love the jacket, fit is good. It's made in Bulgaria, but construction quality is top notch.

BCfz8X.jpg

BCf1S9.md.jpg

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1602010
Congrats! That's a nice find. Just FYI, there's still some debate if he's wearing the washed or unwashed in the film.

I think you are correct. One of the Bond fashion guys did a video on the jacket, and he went into detail on the alterations that he had done. Then again, he thinks a painted on Tom Ford suit is the epitome of style.

First, congrats on getting the Brobel. Second, that "Bond Fashion Guy" is David, and he happens to be a friend of mine. And I can also assure you he doesn't think the "painted on Tom Ford suit is the epitome of style". Not sure why you felt the need to add a condescending swipe at someone you obviously don't know in your otherwise relevant post.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That's a nice find. Just FYI, there's still some debate if he's wearing the washed or unwashed in the film.

First, congrats on getting the Brobel. Second, that "Bond Fashion Guy" is David, and he happens to be a friend of mine. And I can also assure you he doesn't think the "painted on Tom Ford suit is the epitome of style". Not sure why you felt the need to add a condescending swipe at someone you obviously don't know in your otherwise relevant post.

Nothing personal was intended towards David. I think he does an incredible job with his videos. I do happen to disagree with him on the tight fitting Tom Ford look, and I certainly could have worded things differently.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David does pretty good videos on all of the Bond jackets and casual clothing but I don't really like the look of his TF suits.

I was thinking about getting the suede jacket from Matchless until I saw David's video where he said they suck at customer service so I passed on them.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m leaning towards the unwashed judging by the screenshots but it’s all to play for!
I do really like the fit of this, fitted in the shoulders but flares out in the body,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads