• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Barbour is striking the best balance they can. Yes, some items are now made in Eastern Europe, but that's a far stretch from scraping the bottom of the barrel in the cheapest East Asian sweatshop they can find. I have two coats (an English made Border and a Moldovan made Runal), and I find the quality comparable.

FWIW, I think Borders are also still made in England if you're looking for a third.

I believe their heritage models (bedale, Beaufort, etc) are still English made. Most of their seasonal models as well as shirts, sweaters, etc are Eastern European or Turkish made.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little off the current topic, but Bond is wearing the Barbour X Engineered Garments Graham in the new film

Bond NTTD Cuba Jacket IG 1~3.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe their heritage models (bedale, Beaufort, etc) are still English made. Most of their seasonal models as well as shirts, sweaters, etc are Eastern European or Turkish made.
Not always their heritage models are "Made in England", as discussed in a thread in the Barbour Community at Reddit. It seems to depend on their production capacity in South Shields:

"(...) According to that list; the Bedale, Classic Bedale, Beaufort, Classic Beaufort and Border are made in England at their factory in South Shields. The majority of their other jackets are made in; Vietnam, Moldova, Bulgaria and Myanmar. Barbour carefully oversees the quality control in these outlying factories (...).

I would add Tunisia to that list, as it is the country of origin of my Classic International.

(...) It looks as though they have struggled with production this season and have factored out some production of the core jackets to other factories across the U.K. e.g. Wolverhampton but also some outside the U.K. (...)"

Planet Ocean

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a new Beacon Sports Jacket, was checking all the labels for Country of Origin but couldn't find anything relating to this.

Any idea where this model is made as I am guessing it's not in the UK however, quality, cut & fit is excellent.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a new Beacon Sports Jacket, was checking all the labels for Country of Origin but couldn't find anything relating to this.

Any idea where this model is made as I am guessing it's not in the UK however, quality, cut & fit is excellent.
They won’t say, my tokito sports jacket has no origin of manufacture but it’s my daily wearer.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certainly, not the UK. Have you looked for a possible small label in the inside pocket?

Planet Ocean

Reaction score
Certainly, not the UK. Have you looked for a possible small label in the inside pocket?

Yes, had a look a the white lable in the left inside pocket, unfortunately no Country of Origin just the jacket model code.

Not complaining as the quality & construction is excellent, the jacket is currently with Barbour UK having the sleeves & jacket length shortended slighty.

So just a waiting game now as to when it will be back, Barbour seems to suggest about a month hopefully sooner.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, had a look a the white lable in the left inside pocket, unfortunately no Country of Origin just the jacket model code.

Not complaining as the quality & construction is excellent, the jacket is currently with Barbour UK having the sleeves & jacket length shortended slighty.

So just a waiting game now as to when it will be back, Barbour seems to suggest about a month hopefully sooner.

should have just sent it to Mallin & Son in Yorkshire.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having the jacket altered elsewhere, does that not void the barbour warranty though.
Yes it would, but you’re changing the coat anyway. It wouldn’t matter regardless.

Pinehurst

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the model number MWX0017NY91 refers to the waxed cotton version, not Sylkoil?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the model number MWX0017NY91 refers to the waxed cotton version, not Sylkoil?
Just after a Google search, that model is a Barbour Beaufort, made with medium weight 6oz Thornproof waxed cotton.

Pinehurst

Reaction score
Just after a Google search, that model is a Barbour Beaufort, made with medium weight 6oz Thornproof waxed cotton.

Thanks for confirming... I was having a bout of suspicion that I'd picked up the Sylkoil by mistake.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals...

New Barbour guy here and just recieved a Vintage Beaufort in Excellent condition...thing is I would like to add a hood but the actual color evades. From the pics is this the Olive, Sage, Rustic brown or......looking to pick one up from here.
Also this Beaufort takes a snap in liner...but not going there just yet.

Looking forward to wear it but it is currently -10C here in Toronto...so still down parka weather.

IMG_1157.jpg
Barbour Beaufort2.jpg

Barbour Beaufort 3.jpg
Barbour Beaufort 3.jpg
Barbour Beaufort 5.jpg
Barbour Beaufort 4.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals...

New Barbour guy here and just recieved a Vintage Beaufort in Excellent condition...thing is I would like to add a hood but the actual color evades. From the pics is this the Olive, Sage, Rustic brown or......looking to pick one up from here.
Also this Beaufort takes a snap in liner...but not going there just yet.

Looking forward to wear it but it is currently -10C here in Toronto...so still down parka weather.

View attachment 1565970
View attachment 1565971

View attachment 1565964
View attachment 1565964
View attachment 1565963
View attachment 1565962
Your Beaufort seems to be the "Rustic Brown", but as it is a vintage jacket, colours may not match accurately with a new hood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads