• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Cennydd

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing with the Beaufort and Border. These jackets are all supposed to be made in the UK and that's part of the appeal for many.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Anyone have the Carn Baffle sweater? How do you size it?

I want to order one but I remember the knits fitting really slim on me.

Reaction score
Tbh I think it depends where you buy it. Probably different in different in regions and also probably doesn’t make much difference in terms of quality. But I get it, you want it made in the Uk .
From Cox the Saddler. According to the Barbour site, it's an official retailer. Quality looks ok so I won't think too much about it. And yeah I wish it was made in England, but just because that's what they're selling you, a wax jacket made in England. But besides that I don't care, I don't check where all my clothes are made from anyway.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the labels of my Beaufort and Transport, both say ”Made in England”. The one of my International Classic doesn’t say anything, as it was made in Tunisia.

883B97C5-93B2-40C2-A96A-A85EFCF8007D.jpeg

9146D1A6-EB99-4859-81BA-C8B93E1FA364.jpeg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I wrote to Barbour asking about my International waxed jacket country of origin. You can find their answer here, even though there is a five years difference. By that time, there was a thread on this subject, which last entry was in 2016.

For the forumers information, I copy their answer:

"Thank you for your email.

Your comments relating to our manufacturing have been noted and we can appreciate your concerns.

Barbour has been producing wax cotton jackets in South Shields in the North East of England since 1894. Product quality is of paramount importance to us and the benefit of having a factory in South Shields is that it gives us control over our product, flexibility and allows us to focus on attention to detail. The longevity of the brand is based on the quality and durability of the product. We produce between 130-140,000 classic wax jackets a year through the factory and we are committed to the manufacture of jackets in South Shields.

Our main jackets that are manufactured in the UK are the Barbour Bedale, Beadnell and the Beaufort.

With regard to the rest of the collections, (e.g. quilted jackets, waterproof breathable, trousers, shirts, accessories), they are made in Europe and further afield. When we set about the broadening and diversifying of the range from 2000 onwards, we quickly realised that you cannot be an expert in all methods in the manufacturing trade. We, therefore, set out to find the best factories and fabric suppliers wherever in the world to produce the quality that we require. However, we treat these factories just like our own; we provide everything to the factory in terms of raw material, technical information and even cutting patterns and our technical and quality people visit frequently.

Please rest assured that whilst some of our garments are manufactured overseas, this is not without a vast amount of input from our Sourcing, Product Development and Quality teams as we would not compromise on the quality of our products.

Kind regards

Barbour Customer Services Team"

This was the importer sticker of my jacket that says: País de Origen (Country of Origin): TUNISIA

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky because the English worker is permanently drunk, paid lowly and will skive whenever given the chance (I am a Brit myself).
I wanted to say that made in England is no assurance of quality. The legendary craftsmanship and pride are things of the past.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The harder you have to look for the country of origin the more likely it's not made in the UK. But I do have one made in the UK jacket where the label was sewn deep in the pocket. But TBH, I can't tell the difference between a MIE one and one made elsewhere.

Cennydd

Reaction score
Absolutely. I doubt I can tell the difference between a Barbour jacket made in England and one made overseas. But to me anyway, there is intrinsic value in something that has a "Made in England" label.

Reaction score
The harder you have to look for the country of origin the more likely it's not made in the UK. But I do have one made in the UK jacket where the label was sewn deep in the pocket. But TBH, I can't tell the difference between a MIE one and one made elsewhere.
Interesting. Which pocket? The girl from the shop told me to look inside the zipped pocket under the storm flap (?). I don't even know that such thing existed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads