1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

Shipping that coat would cost £18.50 to the US.

2. EdoubleD

EdoubleD Senior Member

Yet me know ASAP, as I planned to post them back in the next few days

3. JustinW

JustinW Distinguished Member

Is it worth getting a liner for the Ashby? And if so, which one? Thanks!

4. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

I planned to get one when I first got my Ashby but haven't bothered.

I tend to find it ok with some layers if necessary although it rarely gets seriously cold in the UK

5. Purplelabel

I agree. I honestly only have one liner and that's in my International. I don't see the need to get one, as a good jumper is just as warm to me. The only time when I'm outside for long enough is when I'm in London during the winter months and because we're walking around and going in and out of buildings I find the bulk too much, so I just wear a jumper with my Beaufort over the top.

6. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

When I got my Ashby I was of the opinion that it was quite thin so would definitely need one but I've never really felt the need in practice.

I do have warmer modern coats also but I find the Ashby adequate most of the time.

7. Purplelabel

I haven't had the regular version, just my Pantone Ashby that I can break out again soon. Is the body padded or is it standard lining & wax shell like the rest of the Classic range?

8. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Just the lining and the shell.

9. Purplelabel

That's interesting. Looks like Pantone beefed up the Ashby.
    I'm still head over heels with this colour.
    [​IMG]

10. JustinW

Oh I hadn’t realized there was no insulation. The Sapper has a very thin quilted lining, but it makes it surprisingly warm for its weight.

11. Purplelabel

I'm sure Barbour make it that way so you are more inclined to buy the liner as well.

12. JustinW

Speaking of lining:

I read that it zips in, yet the site suggests sizing down for the Ashby. This got me wondering about how it attaches. I was imagining it would be sort of like an M65 jacket liner that has multiple fastening points and effectively becomes part of the jacket. Is this the case or is it more of a separate vest? Hope that makes sense!

13. Purplelabel

Separate vest that zips in on rails.

14. JustinW

Thanks. So when the jacket is worn open, the vest flaps are kinda flopping around?

15. JustinW

And now I think I might have come full circle. I took some pics of the sapper to list it for sale and now I’m thinking maybe I should just keep it instead of changing it for something else. There is an Orvis store not too far from me, I think I’ll drop-by and eyeball some of the other models to be able to make a better comparison. And since this is a picture thread:
    1D81CD3D-230B-4FDA-87C4-6CBD18C9C21F.jpeg