• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Sorry, all too small for me, and SWMBO has to get to grips with a 2 crest Solway zipper arriving later today, I think she said 'one in, one out' :fence: when the International arrived.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, all too small for me, and SWMBO has to get to grips with a 2 crest Solway zipper arriving later today, I think she said 'one in, one out' :fence: when the International arrived.

My girlfriend has come to the point of just not caring when I get a new jacket. I pulled the old 'Oh, I've had this one for ages!' trick the other day when she asked about my new Musto coat.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
My girlfriend has come to the point of just not caring when I get a new jacket. I pulled the old 'Oh, I've had this one for ages!' trick the other day when she asked about my new Musto coat.
I didn't think I could fool her into thinking that I've had this old thing for ages, it's brown, but I think one of my old ripped to bits Northumbria(s) is going in the bin after I salvage the zip, secret wallet zip pocket, press studs and a good chunk of the back for patching my other old Northumbria. I confess I have 3, a classic from about 2000 is going to be scrapped as it's the worst looking one. There's probably a fourth one in my parent's house with all the leather bits put on by Barbour in a re-furb.......

Seeing as you seem to have this disease pretty badly have you ever tried making your own wax from 2 parts beeswax, 1 part boiled linseed oil and one part turpentine?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I could fool her into thinking that I've had this old thing for ages, it's brown, but I think one of my old ripped to bits Northumbria(s) is going in the bin after I salvage the zip, secret wallet zip pocket, press studs and a good chunk of the back for patching my other old Northumbria. I confess I have 3, a classic from about 2000 is going to be scrapped as it's the worst looking one. There's probably a fourth one in my parent's house with all the leather bits put on by Barbour in a re-furb.......

Seeing as you seem to have this disease pretty badly have you ever tried making your own wax from 2 parts beeswax, 1 part boiled linseed oil and one part turpentine?

Don't throw it away! How bad is it?

I haven't tried, I'm too used to the Barbour wax.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Don't throw it away! How bad is it?

I haven't tried, I'm too used to the Barbour wax.

This bad; the shoulders, the top of the arms, the top half of the back are intact, the main zip works but the rest of it is gone.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
dateposted-public
dateposted-public

This bad, I haven't seen one worse on ebay, it's why I prefer the older ones from the 70's and 80's

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kmcaj

Reaction score
Question about shortening sleeves on Barbour Bedale. I have a 38 inch chest and purchased a new size 36 online after reading that they run big. The jacket is still quite big on me and very roomy for any layering that I may need to do. Wouldn't want to size down anymore though. I'm short at 5'5 and the sleeves are 1 1/2 to 2 inches too long on me. I priced out sending it to Barbour to shorten sleeves but with shipping etc. it will cost almost as much as I paid for the jacket. Cost seems a bit excessive to just get a little fabric removed. I don't need the storm cuff adjusted or anything tricky, just the outer sleeve shortened. Any real issue with taking it to a competent tailor and then waxing the new seams myself? It looks like a pretty basic alteration that doesn't need to be that expensive. Thanks.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
That should be possible with a local tailor or seamstress. It might be worth asking them to put a small strip of leather on the edge of the cuff to stop them fraying. How much shorter do you need them?

kmcaj

Reaction score
That should be possible with a local tailor or seamstress. It might be worth asking them to put a small strip of leather on the edge of the cuff to stop them fraying. How much shorter do you need them?

Ok. That's what I thought too. Interesting about the leather and fraying, definitely have talk about those options with tailor. Don't have accurate measurement but when I turn up outer sleeve to make arm length look proper it's under 2 inches. Still leaves plenty of material over storm cuff.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. That's what I thought too. Interesting about the leather and fraying, definitely have talk about those options with tailor. Don't have accurate measurement but when I turn up outer sleeve to make arm length look proper it's under 2 inches. Still leaves plenty of material over storm cuff.

Don't forget about the knitted cuffs. They may need to be moved, too.

zadams917

Reaction score
I'm downsizing big time. A few jackets are up for grabs!

2 crest gamefair c38
Barbour Rambler medium 40"
Possibly my 4 pocket Bedale c40
Rustic brown transport c40

I'm interested. I'm sure you've posted pictures before but care to upload some or send me a few. Also would you be able to ship to US?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1994 Border (from eBay, reproofed by myself a few months ago, it came really dry)

20190122-191134.jpg

By the way, looking at this jacket, doesn't the color remind you more of the actual Olive used in the Sylkoil garments rather than the Sage? I've read somewhere that the classic Barbour green is the Sage but I believe it's actually the Olive (got a modern Bedale in Sage and it looks nothing like this)

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
not to plug just for business, but I could really hook a couple of y'all up if any of these vintage Barbour jackets pique your interest. Also, about making your own wax - I am going to have to give that a go. 1 part turpentine, huh?

https://shopcanoeclub.com/collections/vintage

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads