Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Senior member

this is right; the snap vents mean its a bedale. looks sharp; alot of people stray from the navy bedale because the collar is a bit electric but its a great coat.

2. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior member

Thanks!

3. ZacEnoh

ZacEnoh Active Member

Does anyone know an easy way to tell the difference between a traditional waxed Barbour and the newer Sylkoil wax?

I recently got a waxed Sapper jacket, and I was certain it was the traditional waxed cotton. I purchased the Wax Thornproof Dressing to re-coat it; but now looking online I only see the Sapper w/ the newer Sylkoil finishing. Although the one I have (Rustic/Brown color) is no longer available, so I can't tell really.

So far research is leaning toward I'll be fine use this wax either way. But I'd almost rather just send it back to Barbour for relaxing if it's the Sylkoil version.

Thanks >>

4. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Hi, I have a Barbour hood, snap on type. Prb 15 yrs old. Like new. Any interest? Thanks.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

What's the difference between the two? I have the flyweight Sapper which is the lightweight silkoil material. I like it but am just curious.

6. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Check the pocket tag to see what the item number of the jacket is and compare it to the one online. Two different jackets will have two different numbers

Anyone needing a Sapper, theres a ton of them at the Factory Store in NH for $125. They all have one of the ends of the inner drawstring undone, but its not really much of an issue

7. ZacEnoh

ZacEnoh Active Member

Ha - hadn't ever dug deep enough to find that tag inside the pocket!

Reads:

Outer 100% Waxed Cotton
    10/08

From Barbour's site:

"Thornproof wax is a lustrous wax with deep colour and even touch. The cotton is calendered for smoothness before being dyed."

"Sylkoil wax is traditional unshorn wax. The cotton comes straight from the loom and is dyed and waxed. The natural imperfections of weave are reflected in the rich variations of colour and finish."

ALSO I've just read tho bit here: "Barbour Thornproof Dressing. Suitable for all types of Barbour waxed cotton."

So looks like I'm good to go.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

8. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Looked at the hood I have, def waxed cotton. Most likely Burberry. Has the distinctive plaid and the rider on horseback on the snaps. They did/still make waxed cotton. Thanks.

9. badtzwang

badtzwang Member

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Last edited: May 3, 2012

11. notfortheweak

notfortheweak Active Member

I'm thinking about heading to the New Hampshire and/or Maine stores this weekend. Is one generally better than the other? I'm looking for something that will work as a good spring coat. I like Beauforts/Bedales, but I'm wondering if they're going to be too hot unless it's pretty cool outside. And recommendations about coats to check out and which store might be best would be greatly appreciated.

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

imo, NH is a hit or miss thing, but the store just has tons of stuff in there and you need to dig.

13. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

I am planning to get Bedale soon. But I am not sure about sizing.
    I take small in most of brand (Wings and horns, EG, Gitman) and my suit size is 36S for traditional brands (BB) and 38S for contemporary brands (Theory).
    Some1 please advise me

Thanks

14. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i am usually a 40R I took a 38 classic olive Bedale. the arm is a little short but it's acceptable. I can layer with some thick wool sweater under it without a problem