Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Barbour X Wood Wood Valby. Anyone have it? Looking for an upland jacket and came across this at Bloomingdales on sale.

upload_2017-9-28_7-16-52.png

lefty

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Don't have it but it looks interesting. Like a Bedale with handwarmer flaps and an attached hood. Is the bottom section made with a different fabric weight of waxed cotton?

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

4. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

As long as it holds up in the field, I'm in.

Thanks.

lefty

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Tried waxing a jacket for the first time and I have to say it wasn't too bad. The sponge I used was pretty soaked but otherwise 1/2 of the can for a hip length coat isn't too bad.

Do you guys end up using a new sponge every single time? I used a synthetic "dish" sponge, the one with coarse surface on one side.

Next time I might try one of those large orange ones as they look more effective...

7. otacon

otacon Senior member

Pretty sure this is the year I have my tailor cut the plasticy inter-lining out of my Sports Jacket.

I've heard people caution against it because it might result in wax seeping through, but I've got another Barbour that isn't lined at all in some places, and I don't recall wax getting through it.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The only thing I would be hesitant about is the thin cloth lining on the Sports Jacket. It's not like the thicker lining on the Bedale, and it may show wax stains if they do melt through.

I hear you though and I don't wear my sports jacket until it definitely gets colder... and not humid. My Bedale and a recently acquired Derwent for the transitional weather.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Finally getting into Barbour season here in NYC! What are everyone's thoughts on the Great Coat collections? Personally I wasn't too much of a fan. Previously owned the Kellen as I wanted a 3/4 parka (and it was a 3 in 1) and overall the feel was more "technical" with a generous cut.

I did recently get my hands on a Northolt and it felt more like a classic. Great heavier lining perfect for the 'warmer' winters and the fit is quite slim. Wool trim was reminiscent of my Sports Jacket.

10. brill

brill Active Member

Some local tjmaxx's have some really nice selections on Barbour.

IMG_20171010_153532993.jpg

IMG_20171010_153527804.jpg

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I've seen those Barbour/LR jacket too. I would have picked it up although I'm not a big fan of the leather up towards the shoulders. It's a nice padded jacket with the wax shell.

Been seeing a lot of Barbour at TJ Maxx, especially shirts. Have only seen a handful of seasonal/odd jackets but none of the standard editions. Still a good deal if one fits. There was a washable/waterproof Beaufort in my size but I've never been a fan of Barbour's poly shell. I figure there are other/better brands that do tech outerwear.

12. brill

brill Active Member

I found a peacoat with awesome details, was hoping the price would reduce before anyone picked it up. But soon as I went back it was gone.

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

That's a huge gamble at places like TJ Maxx. Lots of tourists, at least here in NYC, shop there and even 25% off retail, it's still cheaper than what's overseas.