• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking of adding a Barbour jacket to my wardrobe. Ideally, it should be able to last through fall into the start of winter (though not the worst of winter) and was looking at these:

Military Jacket

Sapper Jacket
9G84PB0olive.jpg

Wessex Jacket
4X42F1KC.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm kinda leaning towards the last one; is it too much?

Last edited:

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I was thinking of adding a Barbour jacket to my wardrobe. Ideally, it should be able to last through fall into the start of winter (though not the worst of winter) and was looking at these:
Military Jacket

Sapper Jacket
9G84PB0olive.jpg

Wessex Jacket
4X42F1KC.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm kinda leaning towards the last one; is it too much?

The Wessex is a great jacket. So is the Tokito Military. Both are heavier than the Sapper. What size are you? I have a Wessex in M and L and a Tokito Military in Black in Large for sale

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by North River Outfitters in Beacon Hill this week before a meeting at MGH. They had a decent selection of barbour marked down 40% off to make room for the spring items. They had a Sapper in my size but I didn't try it on due to lack of time. I'd always liked it when I saw pictures online.

How heavy of a jacket is it? I'm looking for a waxed cotton jacket for Spring & Fall. Is the Sapper a good candidate? It's listed as insulated so I wonder if it's more of a Fall/Winter, colder weather jacket. How does it differ from the Bedale/Beaufort in terms of materials? If the Sapper is more of a winter coat, is there something in their line that looks similar but lighter weight?

Note, the staple Barbour jackets were not on sale.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick, I really liked the ones in my posts about, but when I saw pictures of what they actually look like... I was completely turned off. Imho, they all look pretty flat and drab in real life...

Do you feel the same?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped by North River Outfitters in Beacon Hill this week before a meeting at MGH. They had a decent selection of barbour marked down 40% off to make room for the spring items. They had a Sapper in my size but I didn't try it on due to lack of time. I'd always liked it when I saw pictures online.
How heavy of a jacket is it? I'm looking for a waxed cotton jacket for Spring & Fall. Is the Sapper a good candidate? It's listed as insulated so I wonder if it's more of a Fall/Winter, colder weather jacket. How does it differ from the Bedale/Beaufort in terms of materials? If the Sapper is more of a winter coat, is there something in their line that looks similar but lighter weight?
Note, the staple Barbour jackets were not on sale.

Have a look at the Trooper - padded but not too heavily

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick, I really liked the ones in my posts about, but when I saw pictures of what they actually look like... I was completely turned off. Imho, they all look pretty flat and drab in real life...

Do you feel the same?

Good point. The Sapper certainly looked differently than I expected.

rmstephenson

Reaction score

Good point. The Sapper certainly looked differently than I expected.

How so? Some pictures I have seen look awesome, but others very boring. I wish I was in Boston. I have been eyeing the NRO online price as it is the best I have found, but 40% off would be even better.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare how it looked in my post a few posts above:

with:

I find that these barbour jackets look way better online that they do IRL.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Compare how it looked in my post a few posts above:

with:

I find that these barbour jackets look way better online that they do IRL.

Exactly! I'm going to head back down there Mon or Tues to try it on. It just looked like a box on the hangar. I couldn't tell if there was some sort of interior drawstring that draws the midsection in a bit. Just something to give it more shape and make it look more like your top image.

Any other comments on the insulation/warmth rating on the sapper? I'd prefer a lighter weight jacket that I can add a layer to underneath. That would give me more versatility to wear it on wet warm weather and wet cold weather.

rmstephenson

Reaction score

Exactly! I'm going to head back down there Mon or Tues to try it on. It just looked like a box on the hangar. I couldn't tell if there was some sort of interior drawstring that draws the midsection in a bit. Just something to give it more shape and make it look more like your top image.
Any other comments on the insulation/warmth rating on the sapper? I'd prefer a lighter weight jacket that I can add a layer to underneath. That would give me more versatility to wear it on wet warm weather and wet cold weather.

Maybe the Orvis model and this other one are different. The linings appear to be different - quilted vs. tartan.

I gave up on the Sapper I've been lusting after for about 3 months and bought an Ashby online on deep discount. Hopefully it will do the trick.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got lucky and found a Flyweight Sapper at the Orvis outlet in Kittery today. I planned to hit the Barbour outlet and checked out Orvis on a whim. The one thing that had me 2nd guessing the Sapper was the insulation. I wanted a lighter weight version, but the Lightweight Sapper was no longer available (orvis used to list it but it's been disco'd for a while now).

I happened across the Flyweight Sapper in the clearance section of Orvis and jumped on it. It was marked down from $399 > $279 > $239. I asked the SA to set it aside while I ran next door to Barbour. He then offered to apply an additional 20% off for the sale to start next week. I never even made it to the Barbour store!

Couldn't be more pleased! It's the exact jacket I wanted in a lighter, 4oz waxed cotton with no insulation. Perfect for spring. They only had one XL and once I found it I didn't bother looking around for more.

Pic courtesy of Orvis:

Barbour
00ae.png
Flyweight Wax Sapper Jacket

Incredibly lightweight, with all the features you need for a warm-weather adventure. Waterproof hood that can be hidden in the funnel collar, so you'll be prepared for rain or shine. Sleeves and back are sewn for optimum movability with an action back design. Four flap pockets with a vertical zip breast pocket and and inner zipped pocket for valuables. Elastic waist for a fitted appearance. Lined in Barbour's pure cotton shirting weight tartan lining. In olive, black. 4oz Barbour sylkoil waxed cotton, pure cotton lining. Imported.

Last edited:

drewtronius

Reaction score

How does everyone feel about Barbour's custom developed camo? Looks like it's made up of silhouettes of different animals (dogs, birds, etc.) I'm a fan- especially on this piece.

Alternate shots/more product can be viewed at Bodega's website: http://shop.bdgastore.com/products/bourne-camo-jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads