• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

deputychino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
lol why do you have both and are you planning on keeping both?

nope, i would like to sell the size 42, but i have to wait 45 days before i can post in the for sale thread.

I got myself into this predicament due my neurotic nature. I was afraid if I didn't act fast I wouldn't be able to get one of these jackets. They made such a big deal about how they only made 75 of each style.

I ordered a size 44 in the distressed, realized it was going to be way too big. I contacted the store and they attempted to recall the package, but it was too late it was already on it's way. since the jacket was only produced in limited numbers they didn't have any 42s in stock. I managed to find another site that had a size 42 in the original green so i ordered that one. the 44 arrived and in order to get the fit that i wanted i knew i would need to size way down-either a 38 or a 40. i returned the 44 and had them send me the 38 in the distressed.

the size 42 was held up in customs, so it showed up like 2 days before the 38 got here. after the money i had to pay in shipping costs to get the 44 back to the UK I decided that I'd rather not return the 42 and just sell it either on ebay or on here.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputychino
Oh, and the sleeves on these run on the short side, so depending on how tall you are they may be an issue.

I believe that Barbour in New Hampshire will lengthen the sleeves for $75; this could be worth looking into for some people.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i figured the Barbour International thread was the official thread but might as well make this one the official one

i am heading to georgetowns barbour store to figure out international original sizing. i have the tokito bicycle in small so trying to get a similar fit. ive heard sizing all over the place regarding the international original so ill just try it on myself and figure it out from store.

i guess ill size down to like a 34 since im a 36r chest. maybe even 32 ...
sarcasm.gif

There is 10" of clearance for a reason. I'm a 36r and wore a small Barbour one year and felt good about the fit. Not SF-fitted, but how it's supposed to fit. One down sounds safe, two sizes down sounds bad.

On another note.. any opinions on duracotton vs. waxed? I liked the duracotton that I had but was surprised just how much it develops a patina and even smells like waxed after a season.

ihatelucy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's sage or olive, since they both look very similar, but I have a feeling it's sage.

Last edited:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, looks like sage...I just bought that coat a couple weeks ago, loving it so far. Except for the sleeve length that is. I had to size down to a 38 (I'm 6' 195lbs) to get a decent fit in the body and the sleeves are quite short. In the summer I'll send it off to Barbour to get the sleeves lengthened, it's at least wearable right now.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i know theres so many other variations of the international. i just figured if its a jacket i want to keep for a long time, i might as well get the original. plus the original has the 8oz vs most of the other ones are 6oz but i would probably never know the difference.

if people have handled the other variations like the active international or the slim one, are they better worse? i know some of the other variations are also not made in england and do not feature the classic barbour tartan ... wonder if they are better or worse for the price

A friend has got the 60z sylkoil version and it's a nice jacket. It won't take a liner and he finds it too light for the colder days of winter though. He normally takes a Large in Barbour but had to size up to XL for the shoulders and chest. It still has a barbour tartan lining although I think it's grey based rather than the tan colour of my original. Poppers are blacked and the badge is grey rather than yellow so it's a little more stealth looking. AFAIK currently all the wax jackets (at least for the UK market) are made in England but the Memory, Carbon etc. aren't (don't know about the Duralinen or cotton versions).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deputychino
i have a size 38 distressed international and a size 42 original green international (both 75th anniversary, it's a long story), they both have the double zipper on them. Oh, and the sleeves on these run on the short side, so depending on how tall you are they may be an issue.

The anniversary models look good.

Alex C

Reaction score
I just got my International. I wouldn't size down if you're a taller guy. I usually wear a 44L suit and considered sizing down to a 42. If I had, my watch would certainly be poking out of the sleeve. Food for thought.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ihatelucy
Upon more searching around the internetz, I'm pretty sure that's an olive actually, since it looks to me like a "classic" bedale. The finish is not that shiny, and they don't make "classic" bedales in sage (I think).

No incorrect. Its clearly sage that's been used for some time.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image1xl_browser_reflected.jpg

What do you guys think of this jacket? Does it warrant a cost of 200?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
No incorrect. Its clearly sage that's been used for some time.

The 'Classic' Bedale is only sold in Olive, but that looks like the standard Bedale which is Sage rather than Olive. Difficult to be sure with lighting and the colour fidelity of cameras/monitors though...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
image1xl_browser_reflected.jpg

What do you guys think of this jacket? Does it warrant a cost of 200?

I wasn't that impressed with how the carbon finish looks in real life, but it does look better than the memory. I'm guessing this is the Flyer? I'm not that keen on the proportions - the pockets look quite high because of the high waist.

If I was going for a carbon finish Barbour and was specifically avoiding the International I'd be more tempted by the Norton:

MWB0287BK11.jpg

although the similar 4oz wax coat (Enfield) is nicer:

MWX0306BK11.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads