• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a commander in XS. What do you guys think of the fit? The S was way too big, but I'm worried that the XS is too small in the shoulders.

Looks a tad too small IMO

carltonbanks

Reaction score

Afaik, the 'classic' Beaufort is actually the one that doesn't have 'classic' in its name: the Beaufort Waxed jacket in Sage.

The Classic Beaufort Waxed jacket in Olive has a more matte appearance, i.e. it doesn't look as slick/shiny. It apparently doesn't age as well.

This could be helpful:
http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/barbour-buyers-guide
http://johnpacheco.blogspot.ca/2006/09/barbour-beaufort-jacket-guy-things.html
I have both a sage and sykoil beaufort. The non-classic one has a very strong green color. When you first get it, it almost looks black and is very slick and shiny, but when the wax breaks in, it gives way to a very rich green color and over time becomes something similar to an old army field jacket. I like it, but it's a little more formal looking than the olive one. I wouldn't say that it doesn't age well, it ages differently and fades into more of a muddy green that looks different depending on the lighting. But the end result is something that looks far more casual than the non-sykoil one. I like both, unfortunately, I have to sell one.

carltonbanks

Reaction score

A question for you folks with experience with both the Bedale and Ashby - I bought a Bedale (sage color) from Orvis a couple months ago, and I am thinking about returning it and getting the Ashby (olive color) from End Clothing instead. The differences I can gather between the Ashby vs the Bedale are:
- No metal button holes visible on corduroy collar of Ashby (this bothered me about the Bedale)
- Slimmer fit for Ashby
- Buttons on Ashby are golden color (not a fan of this but can live with it)
- No elastic recessed cuffs on Ashby
Am I missing anything else, and would I be correct in going with the same size in the Ashby as I did with the Bedale? Here is a photo comparison of the two (pulled from the internet), with Ashby on the left and Bedale on the right. Thanks!
6uba8eza.jpg
The difference is that the Ashby comes in lettered sizing vs. the Bedale. That said, from my experience, the cut is different between the two so comparing measurements doesn't work particularly well… example being that I size go a size down for Barbour's traditional wax jackets, but TTS seems to fit me best for the Ashby (even though the chest sizes between the two don't correspond, if that makes sense).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Commanders for $399 at End.
Ashby $200
Pantones $115.
Bunch of other stuffs too.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would a black Beaufort cost me in London? Where should I look?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how the Lens jacket fits? I'd try it on, but there doesn't seem to be any stores near by that carry it:

Also, anyone know if this was from a past season? I can't seem to find it on Barbour's website, and I'm wondering how legit the sites I have seen it are.

Dinjango

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a Northumbria for the wet weather. My chest measurement is 39 inches. Should I take the 38"? Or should I size down to 36"?

Louys

Reaction score
I have a similar sizing question. Normally I'm a 36 what size would I be in the ashby and in the beadle?

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know how the Lens jacket fits? I'd try it on, but there doesn't seem to be any stores near by that carry it:

Also, anyone know if this was from a past season? I can't seem to find it on Barbour's website, and I'm wondering how legit the sites I have seen it are.

You should definitely be wary of internet sites selling the entire Barbour range at "to good to be true" prices. There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there. If you're ever unsure, contact Barbour directly and ask them.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should definitely be wary of internet sites selling the entire Barbour range at "to good to be true" prices. There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there. If you're ever unsure, contact Barbour directly and ask them.

So Barbour has a function on their website that lets you check if a site is authorized to carry the brand, and it said the site I was on is an authorized site, so at least it is legit. I still wish I could find a local store that does carry it so I can try it on.

Kwaker

Reaction score
After factoring in the additional costs, you could consider buying a couple of sizes and then returning what doesn't work.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase the corduroy used on the navy jackets collars ?

jhwendland

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the warm pile liners for the SL Bedale? I am a 36 for the SL Bedale but I'm wondering if I need to size down to a 34 for the liner, given that the SL is a slimmer version of the Bedale.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=73a0

I have a classic Bedale and highly recommend the warm pile liner. My inclination is that you'd be better off with a 36 liner, although I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads