• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

thimble12

Reaction score
I bought the Commander in a Small and it fits very well, but the sleeves could do with taking up a little.
i just wanted to ask if anybody had successfully had this alteration done?

The elbow patch obviously presents a problem as it finishes so low that it would need to be shifted up.

So for anybody who has done this, were the sleeves shortened from the top or the cuff?
If from the cuff, did the moving of the elbow patch leave stitch marks on the waxed cotton as i presume it would?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My wife shortened the sleeves on my Commander for me. About 3/4 of an inch.
She said it was a straightforward procedure to shorten from the cuff but a real ***** to get the leather trim back on.
She didn't mess with the patch.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
I purchased the Commander and was told that the sleeves can be shortened, but should be done only by Barbour. 1) if done elsewhere, the warranty would be void, 2) the thread would be weatherproof and 3) the elbow patch would be moved.

After 10+ weeks of waiting, my jacket arrived and the alteration job was shotty to say the least. I had the local store look at the work and they returned it to the factory with a response of, "that's the best we can do".

I returned the jacket.

thimble12

Reaction score
Yeah, the sleeve will be wider as it goes up and the leather won't give much so would be hard to put back without narrowing the sleeve a little.
Does that mean that the leather trim is on top of the patch? seeing as there is such a small gap between patch and trim I assume this is the case?

smartie-pants

Reaction score
They actually cut the patch and moved it up so that the distance between the patch and leather trim was the same as the original. I had the sleeves shortened by 2" (from the cuff, not the shoulder)

The problems:
The cut on the patch was uneven on one of the the sleeves - it looked as if the patch was cut at an angle.
Re-threading the patch started/ended at the new cut, not the whole patch, so the thread was mismatched.
The thread was coming apart.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She didn't have to narrow the sleeves. But on one of them, there was just barely enough leather to go around the circumference of the sleeve after shortening.

thimble12

Reaction score
She didn't have to narrow the sleeves. But on one of them, there was just barely enough leather to go around the circumference of the sleeve after shortening.
She has probably gotten away with it if the sleeves weren't taken up by too much, but as the sleeve gets narrower the further down the cuff you go, if you shorten it the trim will become tight. (hence why it was difficult to put back)
Im having to take mine up by about 1 3/4" so I couldn't get away with it without creating a pleated mess.
Considering that the seam is already accessible when you unpick the lining, its easy to slightly narrow the sleeve at the cuff so that it is the same width as the original cuff. That way, it wont be tight

Bugsy

Reaction score
I have original to ki to sport jacket aka commander. Sleeves where done at Barbour and look good, circumference of sleeve opening probably wider as
I didn't have it tapered. I also need to gussets put in underarm to accommodate how tight it was across the chez and over arm. Then... Had lining tacked down as it was not prior and made it annoying ever time I took on or off. I'm retrospect it is the most ill fitting jacket that I have from Barbour. All the same I really enjoy wearing it, great silhouette for my lifestyle. I initially did not buy because of the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My Barbour Ashby in navy arrived today,I am very pleased with it, and at 50% off it seems like a good result.
Looking for a hood and liner now.

Cern, any pics to share?

Congrats on the kop :nodding:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cern, any pics to share?

Congrats on the kop
nod[1].gif
Cleav,I will try to get a picture next week and put it up,you can see the jacket on the Barbour site,I would not have had the green / olive jacket a bit too much of an urban gamekeeper look IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads