1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

The only thing that I notices it that it's a tiny bit more work to put it on– kind of like putting on a sport coat.

2. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

I like my coats to be roomy cause I like to be comfortable.
    I have a Martindale that fits nicely with a button down and merino v-ncek under. The coat is insulated too so I am plenty warm with the added layers and a scarf.

Now I also picked up a Beaufort recently and went with one size up for two reasons. 1. the sleeves were almost too short with a 40. 2. I would not be able to layer underneath.
    I ended up with a 42 (I'm a 46 in a sport coat), sleeve length is perfect and I ended buying a liner vest and the fit is great.

It's all personal man.

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Barbour
    SNS
    Gustin

3 people like this.
  4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Nice. Wearing my barbour barra jacket today. Actually, started day off with sns and then switched to barbour in the noon. Mr Rogers would be proud

1 person likes this.
  5. rbarthel

rbarthel Senior member

A small shop in Newport, RI has a decent Barbour stock, with some (Commander Jacket $584) on sale: http://www.royalmale.com/barbour-mens

I've been in there once, really good people there.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

My tan Barra has seen a ton of use this year. I think it was you who originally posted about the Barney's Barra deal a while back. So glad I jumped on that screaming deal. The outlet in Kittery, ME still has a few in navy & tan.

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

If you don't plan on wearing anything heavy under it than it is fine. I went two below my chest size and my Beaufort is too small to fit anything heavier than a dress shirt with the liner zipped in.

8. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Hi AloysiusSF, I am 6' tall as well and I bought a Large Bedale SL, it really is tighter than the regular Bedale. Here is a picture if you like to see how it looks:

[​IMG]

That was my first Barbour Jacket in years (bought at the end of December, early january, don't remember). And since then I have bought two more.

The second one is this one:

[​IMG]

And I am expecting another one for this wednesday. I will present it when I have the chance.

1 person likes this.
  9. pgregory

pgregory Member

I am looking at ordering a Barbour Bristol online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the fit of this jacket, since I won't be able to try it on.

I'm 6', 160 lbs, and normally wear a size 38. I've tried on a size 38 Beaufort, which fit well, except the sleeves were a little short (not covering any part of my hand).

I'm interested in the Bristol because I'm fairly skinny, and it is supposed to be a slimmed-down version of the Beaufort. I'm trying to decide between a size medium or a size large. I'd go with medium, except I'm afraid the sleeves would be too short. But would I likely be swimming in a large?

I guess I wouldn't mind it being a little on the big side, since I'm hoping to use it as a three-season coat, layering under it during the winter.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

I am sorry, pgregory, I can't help you with your question because I never had the chance to try that specific model of jacket.

My last Barbour -hopefully in a long while- is this thin navy waxed cotton (4oz) sort-of-field-jacket, it arrived one day earlier than expected. I think it will be perfect for spring and early fall to wear with just a shirt or maybe a thin sweater too. Anyway, here it is:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Received as a gift this past holiday. Fits smaller than my other jackets.

I took the Barbour patch on the pocket off when I decided to keep the jacket. Originally I received a size too small. Even the medium is slightly restricting with a heavy sweater.

Barbour Manx

[​IMG]

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

How easy was it to take the patch off? I want to take my international patch off and switch the buttons from gold but I assume that would take sending away

13. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

@pgregory

Don't get a large. I'm 6'3", 170(ish) and I feel my medium bristol is a little too big. Not by a ton, but I could definitely fit it over a sportcoat, which isn't necessarily what I was looking for. Depending on how you like it to fit, the medium might be right for you, but consider going small. Sleeve length is a tough call. The medium is long enough in the sleeves for me.

14. pgregory

pgregory Member

@roquesoon

Thanks!

15. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I just picked up an SL Bedale in size L from the AW14 collection. A couple of comments and questions.

I've read in this thread that many seem to have synthetic sleeve linings in their SL Bedales. On this version however the sleeve is lined with the exact same cotton tartan lining as the body - so no more problems with sweaty arms. [​IMG]

Whats a bit disappointing though is that I've noticed a thing with the fit that I am not very happy with. While the fit is great in the shoulders and chest, there is quite a lot of "flare" at the bottom. This isn't noticable when you look at the jacket when worn in front or back, but if you look at me wearing it from the sides, the lower portion of the back stands out quite a bit from my body. I think this is patly due to all the extra material that is incorporate in the lower back becaus of the two buttoned "vents". Has anyone else had this problem? Or is the size just too big for me? Will it get better with wear, as the material in the lower back softens with time?

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  16. mugatu

mugatu Senior member

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. I also had a Large and I think the length may be the problem. The SL is supposed to be shorter then regular Bedale yet it's a lot longer compared to a 40-42 (both in arms/torso). Of course the general cut is also different but yeah I noticed the "flaring" thing and did not like that one bit. I ended up returning my SL because of it, which was a damn shame since it was on sale and otherwise great, but that bottom part just made it look goofy on me.. I'll be sticking with classic Bedale's from now on ...

17. 00Schneider

00Schneider Senior member

the SL Bedale is definitely longer than the regular one. I think the sleeves as well.

18. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Yup, the SL is definitely longer than the regular Bedale. Maybe I'll try the size M instead. After all, if I want to layer up and stay nice and warm during real bad weather, I will rather use my Border.

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That hasn't been my experience with the SL.
    Different models of the SL have different lengths even in the same size.

I got the wool window pane SL recently. Sleeves are a bit on the long side.
    Waxed cotton SL sleeves are shorter than the wool one. Body is shorter than the wool one.
    Unlined cotton SL sleeves are borderline too short. Body is even shorter than the others.
    All are in the same size. All fit the same in the shoulders/body.

20. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

My Bedale SL does not flare at the bottom... At least I have not noticed it. I wore it the other day after reading this and I checked myself out a few times at some window-shops in the street and saw no flare... dunno...