1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

My normal chest size is 36-37" and I wear a 36 in the SL Bedale, which fits perfectly, even with a sweater underneath. For reference, I can wear either a 34 in the regular Bedale/Beaufort, which is somewhat comparable to the 36 SL (though the SL is a bit slimmer).

2. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Thanks for your input. So, as I understand it, your recommendation would be to go a size up from my Beaufort size, to a 40" (size L) in the SL Bedale?

3. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Hard to say exactly but I would bet a 38" SL Bedale might be best for you. Looks like you're only a size up from me. Not sure how accurate these measurements are, but End has them listed:

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/barbour-japanese-sl-bedale-jacket-136997.html

4. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

To clarify, I can wear a 34" Bedale but that's if I'm sizing down to make it more slim. Typically I would wear a 36" Bedale which I why I suggested that you are just a size up from me.

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I have the same size in Ashby and Bedale SL. The SL is slightly slimmer.

1 person likes this.
  6. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

I concur with that.

7. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Actually, I size down to a 38 to make more slim. I normally wear size 40 sport coats and suits, so I guess my regular size in the Beaufort would also be a 40. Sounds more like I might be two sizes up from you then...

OK. So if I think that the Ashby in M is just on the verge of being too slim, then an SL Bedale in the same size would be even slimmer and thus too slim? If so then a size 40 (L) might be the best way to go.

My intention is to use the SL during spring, early fall and summer rainy days. So I really don't need any possibility to layer that much underneath. Maybe a thinly knitted sweater over a shirt or a sweat shirt only. When the weather gets worse, I turn to my Beaufort or Border.

8. barramundi

barramundi Senior member

Hello,

The designs for Barbour's waxed jackets are excellent, but I feel I may be a bit out of luck since a cursory glance at the thread has led me to believe that these jackets run fairly large and many of you are evidently giants or Ents... advice would be much appreciated.

I am 5'4'', and 118 lbs, with a 33.5'' chest. I am aware of the Made for Japan Bedale SL, so this could be a start. Would a size 36 be best here? What other options do I have with Barbour's waxed jackets?

Thank you for your time!

9. mountainjoo

mountainjoo Active Member

I have a Bedale SL in 36 @ 5'8" ~135 lbs. You would need a 34. A Commander in XS would be another option. These are the only two I am familiar with, someone else might be able to weigh in here.

1 person likes this.
  10. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

I'm 5'2", 130lbs and have an athletic build. I have 6 Barbours that fit perfectly. Keep in mind, the sleeve and coat/jacket lengths are crucial for us height challenged folks and I spent tons of time researching, measuring and speaking to different Barbour folks.

Small @ Duke. Jacket hits at my blazer/suit lengths (27.5") and no sleeve alterations needed. Sleeves can be turned back to show the curduroy lining. I also added a belt and now the jacket has taken on a completely new look - like a tailored International.

Small @ Tailored Sapper. Fits just like my Duke and the waist drawstring provides an even more tailored silhouette.

XS @ Commander. Very slim, no layering possible and I had to have the sleeves taken up by 2".

32 @ Bedale. Perfect all around and slim to my liking. I was shocked to find a 32, but they exit! Call the Chicago store, the largest in the world!!!

XS @ Ariel Quilt. Superb fit all around.

XS @ Ariel Polar Quilt. Fits like a glove but with more insulation.

2 people like this.
  11. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Senior member

I thought Barbour went out of style like 10 years ago....... at least those coats that made you look like a fisherman stranded in the city..

12. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

For those of you in the Toronto area, Sporting Life is having a sale and their Barbour stock was included in that although not advertised. My wife and I picked up one coat each over the holiday's for a pretty decent price.
    I picked up a navy Beaufort and for her a green International Jacket.

13. Hungryhippo44

Hungryhippo44 Member

Is the Bedale SL made in England whereas the Ashby is made in Lithuaina or somewhere other than England?

Where can one acquire a bedale SL online in the classic olive color in size small? I am a usa buyer

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. jomcatta

jomcatta Member

What about the SL Bedale arm compared to the Ashby? Isn't it much shorter? I am 197cm tall and rather slim. I just bought an Ashby XL that fits quite OK (I have enough room to wear a jacket underneath but honestly I would prefer a slightly slimmer fit). I was going for a SL Bedale but the guys at Trunk assured me that the arm was going to be far too short...

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I just got another Bedale SL. It's the wool windowpane one. The sleeves on that one are longer than the Ashby I have. Both XL.

1 person likes this.
  16. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Bedale SL is Made in England. Not sure where to buy one at this point. It seems to be a bit trickier as many stockists in Europe will not ship Barbour to the USA at this point.

17. dr1248

dr1248 Senior member

18. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The wool SL I just got was made in Bulgaria. Purchased from Nordstroms.
    The other SL I have was purchased from the UK and has no country of origin label that I could find. I assume not made in the UK.

I have many Barbour jackets and TBH, I find no discernible difference in quality based on where they were made.

19. mortenbekkeseth

mortenbekkeseth Member

Hi guys,

I need some advise. I'm looking at the Ashby jacket but can't figure out which size I have to choose.
    I am 5.75" (175cm) and 153 lbs (70kg). I usually wear shirts in size 38.
    My breast measurement is 100cm.

I'm not sure if I should choose medium or small.

Thanks!

20. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Senior member

Some good deals on Barbour over at Haberdash

40% off of sale items, currently the olive/navy commander and quilted beacon jacket are on sale, along with several others