• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Guus

Reaction score
Its probably baggy. Classic fit in Barbour is like their Beaufort style where they make it with a bit of room for layers. If you want something snug, you want to look for "modern cut" or some variation of that.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be the consensus. Medium it is.

Cheers.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the classic Bedale and the Ashby. Bedale SL is supposed to be just a bit shorter in length than the classic Bedale. Not sure if it's slimmer through the chest as well. Bedales also have the elastic cuffed inner sleave and the Ashby doesn't. Ashby does have the cordoruy trim at the cuff of the inner sleeve though. But I prefer the elastic action on the Bedale vs. the Ashby.

ANYONE HAVE A SL BEDALE AND ASHBY? I know the SL Bedale is slimmer in the chest than your standard Bedale, but I was curious if it's slimmer than an Ashby in the chest.

golfnutter66

Reaction score
I am interested in the Barbour Rexton jacket. The one I am looking at is advertised as: "As this is a distressed, stonewashed jacket it cannot be re-waxed."

Is it true the Rexton cannot be re-waxed?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the Barbour Rexton jacket. The one I am looking at is advertised as: "As this is a distressed, stonewashed jacket it cannot be re-waxed."

Is it true the Rexton cannot be re-waxed?

Do you have a link to the advertisement? No matter what, it can be re-waxed. Whether it should be or not, or whether or not it'll somehow be difficult or ruin the coat I don't know. However I would think that so long as it needs a re-wax you should be able to do it.

kentpope

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the advertisement? No matter what, it can be re-waxed. Whether it should be or not, or whether or not it'll somehow be difficult or ruin the coat I don't know. However I would think that so long as it needs a re-wax you should be able to do it.

Seems strange to me as well but it looks like that info comes from Barbour itself. I'd assume they know what they're talking about:

http://www.barbour.com/All-Collections/Mens/Waxed-Jackets/Rexton-Waxed-Jacket/p/MWX0330OL5132

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to me as well but it looks like that info comes from Barbour itself. I'd assume they know what they're talking about:

http://www.barbour.com/All-Collections/Mens/Waxed-Jackets/Rexton-Waxed-Jacket/p/MWX0330OL5132

Well at the end of the day you can. You can wax your socks if you want, not that I would mind you. My guess is that they wouldn't be willing to do it for you more so than you can't do it. I mean you can buy some wax from Barbour and give it a shot yourself. Still just seems strange to me.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe because the Rexton is finished with a kind of vintage look? Rewaxing it would completely change the appearance of the jacket. I would imagine it could be done though.

What about rewaxing a down parka? I imagine it would be difficult / impossible? Would you have to remove the down first?

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe because the Rexton is finished with a kind of vintage look? Rewaxing it would completely change the appearance of the jacket. I would imagine it could be done though.

What about rewaxing a down parka? I imagine it would be difficult / impossible? Would you have to remove the down first?

I agree for the most part. I think some of the detailing will still make it look vintage, but the wax if applied consistently should darken the coat and make those details far less noticeable.

I have a Nigel Cabourn x Eddie Bauer down jacket that was sold as waxed. Not nearly as waxy as a Barbour, but it is indeed waxed. I would think it would depend on the outer fabric and the type of wax you use more than anything. I don't think you'd need to remove the down.

Last edited:

poena

Reaction score
don't know why I keep waiting to order the zip in liner. orvis and country attire appear to be similar in price

golfnutter66

Reaction score

Do you have a link to the advertisement?  No matter what, it can be re-waxed.  Whether it should be or not, or whether or not it'll somehow be difficult or ruin the coat I don't know.  However I would think that so long as it needs a re-wax you should be able to do it.

I read this on an ad on Ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151216735677?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The vendor buys direct from Barbour, and is very knowledgeable from communication I have had with him. But he seems to be wrong on this point.

zxu426

Reaction score
don't know why I keep waiting to order the zip in liner. orvis and country attire appear to be similar in price
Country Attire delivers free, while Orvis does not. It also delivers via USPS once it reaches the US, so I've been able to avoid import duties so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics