• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone confirm if the "dept b" limited edition jackets run slimmer as a general rule? I was surprised to find I needed to size up recently after trying one on. I usually have to size way down with Barbour.

Yes they are quite fitted, I stayed with the same size but cannot get a full sleeve number underneath. I also have the original Tokito Bond jacket which is even a bit more snug! I would recommend not to size down.

danger3000

Reaction score

Can anyone confirm if the "dept b" limited edition jackets run slimmer as a general rule? I was surprised to find I needed to size up recently after trying one on. I usually have to size way down with Barbour.

I have the commander in an XL and it measures

Shoulder to Shoulder 18"
Pit to Pit 23"
Length from bottom of collar to hem 31"
Arm 27.5"

What size are you thinking?

danger3000

Reaction score
This should be pretty accurate. Remember to allow room for additional layers...

XS S M L XL XXL
Chest CM 95 101 107 113 119 125
INCHES 37.4 39.8 42.1 44.4 46.9 49.2
Back
(armhole to armhole)
CM 37.9 39.7 41.5 43.3 45.1 46.9
INCHES 14.9 15.6 16.3 17 17.8 18.5
Sleeve Length
CM 77.2 79.7 82.2 84.7 87.2 89.7
INCHES 30.4 31.4 32.4 33.3 34.3 35.3
Back Length
CM 69 71.5 74 76.5 79 81.5
INCHES 27.2 28.1 29.1 30.1 31.1 32.1

Actual measurements from jackets I've sold over he past few months. I've found the generic listed store measurements to be irregular.

Hope the table makes sense, it's the best I can do from my phone.

Regards

click here

Reaction score
Anyone here got Barbour Japanese Lightweight SL Bedale Jacket? I can't decide whether to get that version or the original. I would prefer a slimmer fit but I can go to countryattire store and get the regular one cheaper. Would sizing down still achieve the slimmer look?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the SL is shorter too.

http://www.japan.barbour.com/news/?p=4834

http://www.japan.barbour.com/news/?page_id=3624

The pinstripe one is cheap here.
http://www.aspecto.co.uk/barbour-bedale-sl-jacket-p-h/bedale-sl-pin-(navy)-c-navy.html
End was selling the one devil guy is wearing.

jwinstonc

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to buy an Ashby (slimmed down Bedale), this store has both the Olive and Navy versions on a really good sale, $264 using promo code WINTER20 I unfortunately bought the olive version at full price a few weeks ago, but they have been a pleasure to deal with. Free shipping both ways and solid customer service. (I have no affiliation withj this store, just thought the deal was worth sharing)

http://onwardreserve.com/ashby-jacket

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone is looking to buy an Ashby (slimmed down Bedale), this store has both the Olive and Navy versions on a really good sale, $264 using promo code WINTER20 I unfortunately bought the olive version at full price a few weeks ago, but they have been a pleasure to deal with. Free shipping both ways and solid customer service. (I have no affiliation withj this store, just thought the deal was worth sharing)

How do the letter sizes on the Ashby correspond with usual sizing on the Bedale? Would a S be a 34 for example?

jwinstonc

Reaction score

How do the letter sizes on the Ashby correspond with usual sizing on the Bedale? Would a S be a 34 for example?

I can't comment on the Small, but the jacket is definitely a slimmer fit than the Bedale. I have tried on an XL and a L in the Ashby. I am a 42L in a sport coat, a 40 in the beaufort, and probably a 42 in bedale and seem to fit between a L and XL in the Ashby. The XL was a little too big and the L is a bit snug around the arms but fits great through the body. I originally kept the XL but actually decided to go with the L for the trimmer body fit and the sleeve length was fine. I had read conflicting reports about measurements, but the measurements on the Barbour site for the Ashby look pretty accurate.

Also, I mentioned that this site has free shipping both ways, but you may want to confirm returns on sale items as it may be all sales final.

click here

Reaction score

Sucks that the site only ships to the US

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me whether the Ashley in S will fit me?

I'm XS in Jcrew and BR. Dress shrit size is 14.5/32 or 33 and my chest measurement is 34.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an SL bedale in 40 and it seems like a fairly standard length to me. I'll upload a fit pic. I FINALLY found the barbour jacket that fits me... aside from my steve mcqueen rexton jacket.

click here

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the difference between the Barbour Bedale SL and the Barbour Ashby?

Vicious49

Reaction score

They do run much slimmer than standard Barbours. I was at the Barbour store yesterday and picked up a Birch which is from their Dept. B line. I normally wear a size 38 Bedale and a Liddesdale in S is still loose on me. I ended up picking the Birch in my normal clothing size M and it's very fitted. The saleswoman said that's how this jacket is meant to fit - almost like a blazer. She also said the fit is very hit or miss and depends on your body type. With the Commander jacket, you'd have to size up even more so in my case I'd be an L.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads