1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've not done it myself, but I understand it can take quite a while (6 weeks) , particularly in winter. From what I can gather they'll shorten jackets or add an extra strip of fabric for length but they don't really do 'slimming'. I think they only really modify wax garments.

2. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Ive had minor fixes done on the spot at the factory. Ive seen people come in and put in for major repairs (fixing ripped pockets and zipper replacement) and they gave them a 3 week wait time

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Good to hear. Six weeks doesn't seem like much wait time, mailing to England and coming back. I'd only ever heard of the Alden factory, for instance, resoling and sending back a pair in something like 6-9 months. (or waiting for pre-orders to be released, etc). 6 weeks is nothing.

I'm not sure if there is a legitimate tailor outside of perhaps New York, LA, or Chicago that I would trust with my Barbour - being stuck out here in SLC.... hmmmm...

4. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

no need to send to england, Barbour has a US office in New Hampshire that does alterations. Give them a call (603) 673-1313

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Sweet - will do. Thanks for the number

6. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Which jacket is the best waxed jacket that is slim, Beaufort or Bedale?

7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i would say the Ashby, it's the re-engineered Bedale. If you are close to a Club Monaco you can call them see if they carry it in store and try them on.

8. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Love that place

9. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

whats a good price for an ashby? ive never seen it before today and i really like it. im on a no buy schedule right now. gotta save up after xmas/holidays.

10. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i think they were on a 20% or 30% off sale of retail $379 right after xmas on one of the sites as far as I have seen.

11. rmstephenson

rmstephenson Active Member

Any opinions on the sapper:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9G84

Really prefer this jacket to the Bedale and Beaufort, especially the collar. I am a size 44-46 chest, tried on a few Barbour jackets in large at the local Orvis and they fit well, maybe a bit tight in the shoulders. Would like this to fit somewhat slim. Should I go L or XL. For reference, I am 6'4" ~225.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

It's a nice jacket. I tried one on last season, but ended up getting the Trooper instead. I'm 42 chest and 6'1" and felt the large was a good fit - I would think if you're probably best with an XL.

13. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

Ill testify to this service. I bought a bedale that naturally had shorter sleeves. I sent it in late September and had it back within 2-3 weeks with the sleeves 2.5 inches longer. I will say the price was higher than I wanted to pay (around $80 after shipping) but the customer service and quality of work was amazing.

14. dougie

dougie Senior member

I've had one for a few years now and it's my favorite jacket--I wear it all winter; it's up for shitty weather and is quite well designed. I really like the stand collar (with built in hood) and outside zip pocket for my phone, and it's a little less ubiquitous than the Bedale's become. True story--on my way to grab lunch today, over the course of a 3-block walk, I passed 3 people wearing Bedales. I've only seen one other Sapper in the wild since I've gotten mine.

15. drechie

drechie Senior member

anyone see the durham at the factory store or outlet?

16. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

going to the outlet tmrw, i can keep an eye on the durham for you.

17. commedesformes

commedesformes Well-Known Member

is the shap just as slim as the ashby?

18. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

it's more like in btwn bedale and ashby when I tried them on.

19. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Lost my Uniqlo Cotton Blouson... Sucks because it was my go to jacket, but I guess that means I can get a new go to jacket.

Looking for a jacket that I can easily pair with a t-shirt and jeans/chinos or an oxford shirt and jeans/chinos. The Bedale looks good but it might be a tad long.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012