1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

What would a black Beaufort cost me in London? Where should I look?

2. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Anyone know how the Lens jacket fits? I'd try it on, but there doesn't seem to be any stores near by that carry it:

[​IMG]

Also, anyone know if this was from a past season? I can't seem to find it on Barbour's website, and I'm wondering how legit the sites I have seen it are.

3. Dinjango

Dinjango Active Member

Hi all, I am thinking of buying a Northumbria for the wet weather. My chest measurement is 39 inches. Should I take the 38"? Or should I size down to 36"?

4. Louys

Louys Senior member

I have a similar sizing question. Normally I'm a 36 what size would I be in the ashby and in the beadle?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  5. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the warm pile liners for the SL Bedale? I am a 36 for the SL Bedale but I'm wondering if I need to size down to a 34 for the liner, given that the SL is a slimmer version of the Bedale.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=73a0

6. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

You should definitely be wary of internet sites selling the entire Barbour range at "to good to be true" prices. There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there. If you're ever unsure, contact Barbour directly and ask them.

7. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

So Barbour has a function on their website that lets you check if a site is authorized to carry the brand, and it said the site I was on is an authorized site, so at least it is legit. I still wish I could find a local store that does carry it so I can try it on.

8. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

After factoring in the additional costs, you could consider buying a couple of sizes and then returning what doesn't work.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Does anyone know where I can purchase the corduroy used on the navy jackets collars ?

10. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I have a classic Bedale and highly recommend the warm pile liner. My inclination is that you'd be better off with a 36 liner, although I could be wrong.

11. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Commander question here as well.

I just got a navy Large, knowing it would fit slim, even though I'm probably a small/medium and at 5' 6" — 5'7" it'd be a little long. Well, although it fits all right in the shoulders (I've worn it with and without layers, and it's comfy and maybe a fraction loose), it's really long in the sleeves. It's almost at the knuckles. I like how fishtacologin's is, that looks where it should be, I think. I'm thinking of not only getting the sleeves shortened, but the bottom taken up a bit as well. My question is, is it worth it to get the sleeves taken in, or should I chance it and try and get the hem taken up? I don't know if the placement of the pockets limits how high they can take it up, looks like if they are, it's maybe an inch and then is is even worth it to mess with the aesthetics of the body of the thing?

Also, I guess I could try to trade it with someone who's got a Medium, but the sleeves will still probably be long.

Anybody who's gotten their Barbour taken up in the body is encouraged to weigh in.

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I think it would look terrible if you shorten it. The pocket placement would be all out of whack.

13. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Would Barbour be able to move the pocket up, though? Should I just get the sleeves shortened and see if that's all it really needs?

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Dunno about moving the pockets but I can't see why not.
    Just fold the sleeves under and pin or tape it in place to see how it looks.
    Of course you're going to need to get the sleeves shortened no matter what so you may as well just go get it done.
    I seem to recall that Barbour charges a fairly hefty sum to shorten the sleeves of the Commander but I think they do it from the shoulder or they move the patch or something like that. I don't see why a competent local tailor couldn't do it.

I agree the sleeves on the Commander are rather apelike.

15. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I actually also think it would change everything too much to have it shortened. I don't own a commander, but i tried it on. The large fit me perfectly, but i'm 6'4 with super long arms (wear a 38 sleeve) so I can imagine how it would be long on you. That being said, shortening the sleeves would have to be done from the top I think, so as not to make the elbow patch look off, and shortening the body might ruin the cut of the whole thing. The pockets would have to be moved, the buttons would seem lower, and the bottom opening would be totally changed too. So, i'm not totally sure what you should do. Perhaps trying a medium is a better answer than trying to make the large work.

16. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Nakedsnake, yeah, I was thinking about that, but END ran out of mediums, and the shipping back overseas would be very expensive.

I did get this letter from Barbour regarding this:

If you only plan to take the sleeves up 1.5” I would recommend waiting until you have worn it for a bit. Wax cotton tends to form natural creases as worn and with these creases come the feeling that the sleeves are shortened up a bit. As for the length, if it involves moving the pockets at all, they will not do this. Moving the pockets does leave the stitching line in the material and there really is nothing that can be done about that. I would recommend wearing the jacket for a bit in the elements and so forth as is.

Dunno if I should credit the CS rep who wrote me so quickly, but many thanks, Barbour. I guess the creasing along the elbow would allow for some shortening, and would explain why it looks so disproportionately long. Might wear it for a season before getting any alterations done.

However, if anyone wants to trade a M for a L, let me know.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  17. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I think it was just made unreasonably long. I have an old Gamefair, in size 40, and I had to have the sleeves lengthed by 5 inches for it to work for me. On the commander though, they were just about right, if not, maybe .5" too long even. The only person I know with arms as long as mine is my brother.

Yes, wearing for a bit might be the best idea.

If you decide you can't make it work, I might be interested in taking it off you a little down the road.

18. tahonng

tahonng Senior member

Before I start thinking about messing with it, I guess I should see if it's even the right size. Here's a really shit-quality bathroom pic. I'm wearing a cardigan and a tee under there. I plan on wearing something like this with the jacket. Does it look like the right size or should I go down. I extended the arm so you can maybe see the amount of fabric that's on the sides of the jacket. Also, the length on the sleeves. Check out also where the length of the jacket ends on my torso, right belowwhere my upper thigh meets my butt. [​IMG] Should I return this and size down? Right now, it fits comfortably (aside from the insane heat, because it's fucking 80 in NC) but there's a bit of fabric on the sides of the jacket. Of course, this might be how it's supposed to fit, and I'm just biased by Daniel Craig's styling of it in the movie where he wears it more like a sport coat rather than outerwear.

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That looks gigantic on you.
    It should fit more like a sport coat than outerwear.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

norton barra jacket smells like a box of latex gloves. walking into my room reminds me of a hospital