1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Hi, I have been looking for a mac recently ( single breasted with covered buttons ) I have seen pictures of the Barbour Sedgewick,but I haven't had a Barbour before so I don't know about sizes I am a 42" chest and usually take a Large ( although in some makes XL) any ideas ?
    Also can you buy a liner to go in the Sedgewick ?.
    I would be interested in anyones comments about the Sedgewick.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

End has measurements for the Sedgewick.
    XL is going to be way too big.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks for that.
    I have found out that John Lewis stock the Sedgewick,so I will go and try one on.
    Is it possible to find out from Barbour about warm liners and if its possible to have a corduroy collar put on ?.

4. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very nice jacket...and pictures

5. thisstylishlife

thisstylishlife Active Member

I recently found what is possibly the last NWT Barbour Shoreman Cinnamon Ventile jacket in existence from a US retailer. The medium is just slightly on the tight side in the shoulders and a little short in the arms for me. If anyone has a large in excellent condition that they would like to trade let me know soonest before I start wearing this. Thanks!

6. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Barbour team,

I was thinking of getting the 'Bede':
    http://www.barbour.com/All-Collecti...readcrumbs=mens&breadcrumbs=mens-waxedjackets

It is a 'regular' fit listed as being lightweight. Sydney only gets down to about 13 degrees at night - it isn't that cold.

I am 5"9, slimmish and normally wear a 36R OTR for suiting. Do you think a small would be too big? I normally wear small in every other brand for clothing. If it is too big, I can't go any smaller - Barbour does not do XS.

Also do you think this jacket would be fine with dark denim, boots and a buttoned up shirt/t-shirt?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Anyone?

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

the jacket is definitely fine with dark denim.

Barbour is usually a little loose in terms of fitting, even their slimmer fitting Ashby can still be somewhat loose when you only wear a shirt under it.

So I will say if you wear Small in every other brand then take small in the Bebe.

10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

This is what I am afraid of.

Then again, it isn't suppose to be like a suit jacket - which is intended to be very snug.

This is just a whole another 7 inches bigger though.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You should measure a jacket that fits how you want the Barbour to fit.
    +7" is going to be gigantic. Especially on a lightweight jacket like that one.

A size 36 suit jacket likely isn't going to measure 36", btw.

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I am at work, so I can't go and measure anything.

Do you think the chest measurement will be bigger or small than 36" for a size 36 jacket?

Barbour can't be that loose. One website had the jacket as fitting a 34-36 chest! Then the website you listed had it at 43"!

13. RLX009

RLX009 Member

Comparison between the Ashby (M) and the SL Bedale (38). Like I promised I've attached a few photos below, you'll be able to spot the differences. Regarding fit, the SL Bedale fits just a tad slimmer, both in the arms and the chest, it's that slim fit I think people wanted out of a Barbour. Regarding appearance, the SL Bedale has a shinier finish, the Ashby has a more matte finish. The Ashby is made in Tunisia, and the SL I couldn't find the made in tag, but the stitching overall is better in quality. The black corduroy is thinner wale in the Ashby and the throat piece is slightly larger. The zipper is larger in the Ashby, you can see it in the picture. Regarding the arm sweating and condensation, it is way worse in the SL, because of the elastic cuff that prevents breathability. I chose to keep the SL however, I might put in some grommets in the arm. The SL overall doesn't come across like a traditional Barbour but a more modern technical coat, it doesn't have the Barbour logo that the Ashby does on the left pocket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I was tossing up between the Simonside, Commander and Bede in Navy.

http://www.smithandmorris.co.uk/Mens-Barbour-International-Simonside-Waxed-Jacket.html
    http://www.smithandmorris.co.uk/Mens-Barbour-Bede-Waxed-Jacket.html

You can see that those two are loose styled jackets. The commander is a lot closer to the chest.

Damn, I never knew shopping would be so hard. The Simonside has a great picture here:
    http://drupal.barbour.com/sites/default/files/feature_row_images/Mens-Simonside-Jacket.jpg

That is a loose jacket - I doubt he had to size down. Also that is a medium weight jacket and has a rougher finish compared to the Bede.

Damn!

15. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Both of them looks great. I think the SL is slimmer because of the Japanese market. Good posts. I think both coat will make a good modern coat.

Btw, do the SL have the elastic cotton cuffs like those in the classic Bedale?

16. capnMURPHY2021

capnMURPHY2021 Senior member

Been seeing more and more Barbours in NYC, mainly Bedales/Beauforts. Especially many at the airports. What's the deal?

17. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Barbour sizing is all over the map so you really have to try it on or look very closely at the measurements.
    I'd just get the Commander if I were you. You should try and fit it like a sports coat rather than outerwear.

18. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Those 2 have been on sale a lot lately at sites like JCrew and Macys so maybe that's contributing to it.

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Bedales/Beauforts have always been very popular in NYC and are becoming increasingly so. They are good jackets and seen as British/preppy, which NYCers like

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014