• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offered job by email, email goes to junk inbox, after two days employer assumes you rejected offer??

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Sorry this is a bit long.

True Story - what would you do?

A family member applied for an on call auxillary position in the public sector. Goes for an interview and things appear to go well as on Tuesday of this week the employer indicate they will be contacting references that day and that she should hear back from the employer fairly soon.

Friday (today) she calls the prospective employer to inquire about the status of her application.

Oh, we emailed you they responded. Orientation for the job was today. We assumed you didn't want the job because you didn't respond nor showed up.

WTF??

The email went to junk because it went to a group of people who were all hired for the on call job.

I have hired people and worked with our HR Dept for nearly 20 years and we never just email someone. First you call and speak to them then send a formal email as follow up. Or at least done in short order of each other. Regardless of how junior the position, on call or permanent.

Second we ask for a formal response and give a time frame in the email/offer letter. Third we call back to make sure they received it if we don't hear back.

What do you think she should do?

I have suggested she call the original person she interviewed with as the person who emailed and she spoke to was an administrative assistant.

That she should politely explain what happen and indicate she is very much interested in the job (she told this to the admin person who was none to empathetic).

Thoughts?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, both parties sound pretty lame. Obviously, notification of a job offer by email alone isn't the best ways of doing things, but I have no sympathy for people who can't figure out how email filtering works. If your email address is so overrun with junk email that you can't stay on top of what's important vs. what is spam, then you are to blame when you give that email address out to people as if it were a reliable means of communicating with you.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. In fairness to my cousin, she set up this email for job seeking only. She is trying to slowly get back into work after raising a couple kids.

Problem is that many employers ask to apply online etc so her spam box now gets multiple fake job & scam business emails and oddly she has only ever applied online to reputable companies. Scammers must have some good tools or people employed in HR depts.

When I dropped by yesterday and fished out the message her gmail had warnings about the email. The subject line was identical to a scam offer she got twice before and the sender email was anonymous so you would have no idea it came from a legit sender.

My wife spoke to a friend who does this same job and it happened to her, she was given 24 hours to respond to the message and did find it in her spam a couple hours late. No sympathy from the HR Manager but they did hire her next round a few months later.

thanks again.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the stupidest **** I've ever read.

Who the **** wants to work for a company that emails an offer (and sends it as a group email...not even a direct personalized email to you) without making a phone call...and then expects you to show up for training two days later.

This girl is making up stories about how she tried to find a job and got screwed so that you will keep fronting her the meth money "just until I find a job"

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that's a pretty booty-sounding company but it also sounds like a jobs mill... probably not the greatest place to work anyways.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Thanks to all for chiming in. It does sound odd and I hope you were just being funny OTC with your last statemen cause...well it fell kinda flat.

Douglas - you will be shocked, or maybe not, to learn it is a Public Sector organization. A public school district here in the burbs of Vancouver.

Just lazy govt employees who have bad processes - there is a shocking revelation.

If my wife and I did not personally know two individuals who do this job (which is why we encouraged my cousin to apply) and both had only email offers with one ending up in spam I would have been a bit skeptical too I guess.

Take care all.

Goodfella

Reaction score
Offered job by email, email goes to junk inbox, after two days employer assum...

AJust stupid, I agree with you even if you email the person you still call to confirm they received the email. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Well all did end okay. About 4 weeks later the employer...wait for it...telephoned her and said they had openings to add to their on call casuals. Then they said a follow up email with details was coming.

So she starting working casually a couple weeks back.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

that right,Just lazy govt employees who have bad processes - there is a shocking revelation. thanks
O2cpgJ
You mean the sort that **** things up with useless posts that add nothing to the discussion and are too lazy to bother using proper spelling and grammar? Hate that ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads