• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offensive compliments!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A youngin' admiring my sartorial choices asked:

"Nice jacket, where did you get it? Mens warehouse?

Whens the last time you've been complimented in a genuine fashion that truely offended you.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It sounds like he was dissing you.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i said "dude, ouch.....very ouch" and he was surprised at my response, so i'm thinking it was meant as a compliment.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was this youngin' vox? Sounds very snarky.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave props on a nasty amount of snark, he would be an honorary styleforum member.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stepped into a Dollar Tree store during my lunch break once, and a little old lady asked me if we sold bug spray. I told her I didn't work there, and she says "Oh, you look like you work here!" I was so caught off guard by that comment that I didn't reply, just stood there
plain.gif
insulted, wondering why she would think that. I guess she was expecting a "Thank you" or something, because after a few seconds of silence she said under her breath,"Well, that's a nice compliment..."

People had believed me to be an employee at other places, from department stores to sporting goods stores, but never a dollar store. I mean, this is the kind of place where the cashiers wear jeans and tees with a green apron over them, and I think the manager wears a green polo.

Nexus6

Reaction score
She wanted you Threak.
smile.gif

Go there same time on the same day this coming week.
She'll be there waiting.

...And to make you further salivate, remember old saying:

<i>The meat is always sweeter, when it's closer to the bone </i>

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I guess she was expecting a "Thank you" or something, because after a few seconds of silence she said under her breath,"Well, that's a nice compliment..."
laugh.gif
People just see a guy in a suit and tie and automatically think "he must run this place." I've gotten the same thing at stores from Harry Rosen to Wal-Mart . And I wasn't even wearing my blue smock that day
confused.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are so fashionable.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Whenever you get hit on by a gay guy...

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, one day I went to teach as a substitute in the public schools. I taught a 1st grade class. I had an appointment after school was out so I took my navy jacket. A 1st grade kid went and looked at it lying on the table and said: "Nice jacket teacher!"

I said: "Thanks, son, that's a Dunhill."

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
One I like to use ...

"That's a nice jacket, too bad they didn't have any in your size."

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Well, one day I went to teach as a substitute in the public schools. I taught a 1st grade class. I had an appointment after school was out so I took my navy jacket. A 1st grade kid went and looked at it lying on the table and said: "Nice jacket teacher!"

I said: "Thanks, son, that's a Dunhill."

Just dont open the jacket and do a label flash when you are wearing it, that could be interpreted all wrong.

graphite

Reaction score
not fashion related, but... i'm a photographer (amateur) but have been into it for about 8 years. sometimes people look at my pics and say, "wow, i love these photos. you must have a really good camera." which to me, implies, "any monkey with the same or better camera can take the same or better pictures than you." well **** you too.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
A youngin' admiring my sartorial choices asked:

"Nice jacket, where did you get it? Mens warehouse?

Reacting to that would be a tough call because, for many people, Men's Warehouse really is a high-end men's store. That's due partly to social class and partly to ignorance (which, now that I think about it, is not unrelated to social class). When I was young, ignorant, and broke, I might have offered someone this same compliment.

Unless you can actually hear a snarky attitude in the person's voice, it's probably best to assume that he or she means well when saying something like this. Simply telling the person where you got the jacket might be a subtle and inoffensive way to educate him or her about the many layers of quality that exist above what he or she has seen advertised on television.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads