• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off to the races (Del Mar), and not sure what to wear.

JTK

Reaction score
I'm heading to Del Mar next weekend and will be getting the VIP treatment. I know there's a dress code at the turf club (jacket, no jeans), but I'm not sure if I should wear a suit or just a sportcoat and slacks. I've never been to Del Mar, or a track, and I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like. If I wear a navy suit, should I play it safe with a white shirt?

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went last week and they murdered a horse. This doesn't help you.

JTK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horse's_ass
I went last week and they murdered a horse. This doesn't help you.

I plan on leaving my shells at home!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy suit is too much. Plus, you will probably be extremely hot. Del Mar is not Ascot and the Turf Club is not the Royal Enclosure. Wear a summer sport coat. If you wear a tie with it, you will be one of the five best-dressed people at the meet.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Like the other poster wrote, this isn't a fancy affair. It's San Diego! A sport jacket with a loose weave and some khakis will take you very far there. If you wear a suit you'll be sweltering and someone will probably ask you for directions. Watch the daily coverage on TVG. You won't see any of the owners wearing suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads