• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off the rack or custom made suits and shirts?

doughboysc

Reaction score
I've recently lost weight. Unfortunately I gained 15 pounds, I'm now 340 lbs. But I used to be 367 in late 2009. I stand six foot two and a half. At the moment I'm now 18.5" neck 34" sleeve. I have a 56" chest and 58" waist, do you suggest off the rack or custom made suits/sportcoats and dress shirts? If custom made would NYC be an option?

Which is the best made to measure/bespoke suits/sportcoats in NYC? J. Press, Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, other?

Which is the best bespoke/made-to-measure shirts in NYC? Turnbull & Asser, Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Paul Stuart, or Charvet at Bergdorf Goodman?

Which colors and patterns suit me best? Would I be suited in neckties that are 2.5 wide to 3.25 wide?

Here's a recent picture of me. No I'm not Alec Baldwin :)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are still trying to lose weight, MTM may not be a good idea right now. None of the tailors and shirtmakers you mention offer bespoke in NYC AFAIK. Have you checked out Ben Silver for RTW? I would not wear narrow neckties if I were you. 3.5-4" is more like it.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone hack into your account?

doughboysc

Reaction score

If you are still trying to lose weight, MTM may not be a good idea right now. None of the tailors and shirtmakers you mention offer bespoke in NYC AFAIK. Have you checked out Ben Silver for RTW? I would not wear narrow neckties if I were you. 3.5-4" is more like it.

I'm familiar with Ben Silver of Charleston, SC. Great British striped neckties. The only con about it, you CAN'T dry clean it or machine wash the ties which most neckties in other brands are dry clean only.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm familiar with Ben Silver of Charleston, SC. Great British striped neckties. The only con about it, you CAN'T dry clean it or machine wash the ties which most neckties in other brands are dry clean only.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't "machine wash" any tie. But in regards to your original post set yourself a goal and when you reach it get yourself a nice bespoke suit. For NYC bespoke you are going to be looking at Leonard Logsdail, Nino Coravto, Raphael Rafaelli. But besides these i highly suggest you visit Edwin debois at steed when he visits NYC as well as Mina Adamo from Napoli Su misura. If you are thinking MTM then Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, maybe Tom Ford if that style suits you. For shirts keep in mind that T&A has a minimum order of i think 6-8 shirts if you are thinking that then maybe ascot chang too which is on 59th and 6th, but Borelli and Cesare Attolini have shops on madison ave. According to the forum Borrelli is a bit hit or miss (rumors about the quality dropping in recent collections) But Attolini is still top notch for suits and shirts.

doughboysc

Reaction score

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't "machine wash" any tie. But in regards to your original post set yourself a goal and when you reach it get yourself a nice bespoke suit. For NYC bespoke you are going to be looking at Leonard Logsdail, Nino Coravto, Raphael Rafaelli. But besides these i highly suggest you visit Edwin debois at steed when he visits NYC as well as Mina Adamo from Napoli Su misura. If you are thinking MTM then Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, maybe Tom Ford if that style suits you. For shirts keep in mind that T&A has a minimum order of i think 6-8 shirts if you are thinking that then maybe ascot chang too which is on 59th and 6th, but Borelli and Cesare Attolini have shops on madison ave. According to the forum Borrelli is a bit hit or miss (rumors about the quality dropping in recent collections) But Attolini is still top notch for suits and shirts.

Actually the minimum order for T&A's bespoke for your first order is 6. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads