1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

# of suits for starting out....and how

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rugger, Dec 10, 2010.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

I know this thread is relatively common. But would appreciate your assistance.

If you were starting out building a professional wardrobe, how many suits would you consider a good lot? I was thinking 5-7...at least one different for each day of the week. The questions I pose to you:

1) How many suits would be the target/baseline number?
    2) With that number...what would they be? (color/pattern/stripes/style...very macro description)

Thanks a bunch!

Use the search function PLEASE.

2. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

3. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

OK...so first purchase will be a mid gray. How much should I look to spend for a good mix of quality and value? Any particular "style" that I should look/ask for....wanting something more modern looking.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

After finding a brand/cut/fit that worked best with minimal tailoring I would say 10. 3 conservative 3-season suits, 2 2-season (fall/winter), 2 2-season (spring/summer) and 3 outlandish. Add in some sport coats and trousers and you're set for the foreseeable future. Just make sure your shoe game is tight.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This classic Will blog entry.

^This is good advice.

I remember my Management prof. in college telling us how he needed to wear a suit but could only afford one right out of college. So for a full year he wore the same green suit everyday and took it into the cleaners every Saturday morning and picked it up later that afternoon. Can you imagine wearing the same suit everyday?

6. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

OK...so first purchase will be a mid gray. How much should I look to spend for a good mix of quality and value? Any particular "style" that I should look/ask for....wanting something more modern looking?

And what are some brands to look for - somewhere between 500-1000. Would like to save room for tailoring too. I have macy's, neiman macrus, saks, nordstroms, bloomingdales and some smaller mens shops that carry some lesser known stuff. Thoughts?

7. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

Brooks Brothers 1818. Be there when they open, the morning of the 26th.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'll be working for the Republican caucus [​IMG]
    I'd say fashion wise it's a mix of conservative/messy and stylish. Nothing too out there. If I walked in with pink laces I'd probably get slapped.

There is a thread about conservative clothing...

Manton will be your port of call in that matter.

He is more aware than anybody else of the sartorial do and don't of politicians and their staff..

9. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Brooks 1818. You may be able to get canvassed suits at Last Call or Off Fifth in your size. The Buying & Selling Forum on Style Forum.

Fit is king. Make sure you know what fits.

10. inq89

inq89 Senior member

Haha same here. And if I'm not mistaken they have suits for 2 for $1000 so that would be an ideal investment for OP. The Fitzgerald cut looks like a good mix of conservative but fashion forward style. As mentioned, it all about fitting.

11. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

That does look like a good deal. I'll have to check those out.

12. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

+1.

I am sure that I have picked up far better quality for $500, but the overall efficiency of an 1818 on sale is great. They are of decent quality, available in many styles and cuts and include in-house alterations, gratis. I'd recommend a Regent (if you are thin/athletic) or a Madison over a Fitz. I'd bet the house that the skinny lapels date soon.

I'll add that if you can afford to drop around $1500-2000 as an initial investment you should go to your local Brooks this week and tell them your plan. Ask the SA to set aside the three best suits for you for the Boxing day sale. Get a Brooks card and you might get an additional % off.

And best of luck. I have made more professional progress in DC than I ever thought possible.

13. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I'd recommend a Regent (if you are thin/athletic) or a Madison over a Fitz. I'd bet the house that the skinny lapels date soon.
    I agree with this. I think it was Spoo(?) that pointed out that the Fitz is not made to be heavily suppressed, and an SA at BB confirmed this when I was there a few days back. It won't look terrible, but the proportions get a bit out of whack.

14. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

+1.

I am sure that I have picked up far better quality for $500, but the overall efficiency of an 1818 on sale is great. They are of decent quality, available in many styles and cuts and include in-house alterations, gratis. I'd recommend a Regent (if you are thin/athletic) or a Madison over a Fitz. I'd bet the house that the skinny lapels date soon.

I'll add that if you can afford to drop around $1500-2000 as an initial investment you should go to your local Brooks this week and tell them your plan. Ask the SA to set aside the three best suits for you for the Boxing day sale. Get a Brooks card and you might get an additional % off.

And best of luck. I have made more professional progress in DC than I ever thought possible.

I'm not "thin", but am athletic. I have a difficult build to deal with. If you have to put a suit on 5'10 NFL running back that would be about me. I assume by boxing day you mean Dec 26, is that an advertised sale?

15. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

So if I'm gonna check out BB for the 26th sale...I should target

1) Charcoal
    2) Dark Blue
    3) ???

Thanks again for all your help

16. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Medium gray. However, three from the same brand starting out is risky (tastes and judgment change), and three of the same style shows lack of variety.

17. qaa541

qaa541 New Member

I would choose 2-3 good suits (full canvas if possible!). Wool is my favorite fabric, I really dislike some of the cheaper suit feel that is made with blends of polyester.

For colors, I would get navy, dark gray, and charcoal.

I would buy from either the buy and sell forum or from ebay. You can get great suits for a fraction of the price that way. Find a good tailor and spend the money to get it to fit right. I have often spent more money on the tailor than on the price of the item I bought because I want that item to fit right otherwise it just looks silly.

18. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The first part of that advice is sound. After that...

Charcoal is a form of dark gray. True, almost anything that isn't too small (and even then...) can be tailored to fit, but not necessarily well, and as noted, that can be pricey. eBay for clothing is risky enough for anyone; it is high-risk to a beginner.

19. goodlife

goodlife Senior member

This classic Will blog entry.
    I couldn't turn up the link on short notice, but if I remember correctly Will also wrote about sticking to a variety grey suits at first, and excluding blue. Thus, the money spent on an entire second set of shirts and accessories could be spent on an extra suit instead. So you could go with: Charcoal Mid Grey Chalk or Pin Stripe POW +2 on the extra pair of pants too. I always wear out pants long before jackets. You just have to make sure you alternate wearings and have them all cleaned together.

20. mchu21

mchu21 New Member

I couldn't turn up the link on short notice, but if I remember correctly Will also wrote about sticking to a variety grey suits at first, and excluding blue. Thus, the money spent on an entire second set of shirts and accessories could be spent on an extra suit instead.

So you could go with:
    Charcoal
    Mid Grey
    Chalk or Pin Stripe
    POW

+2 on the extra pair of pants too. I always wear out pants long before jackets. You just have to make sure you alternate wearings and have them all cleaned together.

+1