• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

# of suits for starting out....and how

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
i'd say the basics are navy, light grey, medium grey, and dark grey. you can then get into patterns or other colors, but personally i'd just add more greys (i'd get sharkskins for the basics then add herringbones later).

Agreed 100% although I'd caution against going too light with the "light grey;" truly light grey doesn't work with a lot of skin tones, so keep it at about a 45% grey.

Originally Posted by Jay
You're better off buying 3-4 high quality suits and giving them at least a day of rest between wearings than buying 5-7 low quality suits that will look cheap/fall apart. Also, do not buy a black suit.

Indeed.

Originally Posted by Rugger
I'll be working for the Republican caucus
peepwall[1].gif

I'd say fashion wise it's a mix of conservative/messy and stylish. Nothing too out there. If I walked in with pink laces I'd probably get slapped.

You will be able to go very far with a quality navy blazer. I find that true in almost any work situation, but ESPECIALLY on The Hill. I've been living in the DC metro area my entire life. My father was a career political operative, and many of my friends work in political capacities. A navy blazer and three or four good pairs of trousers to pair with it will be appropriate in almost any DC setting. In fact, my father's last post was as an assistant secretary in a cabinet agency. Even at that relatively high level, I remember him wearing a blazer and charcoals on almost any day he didn't have to meet with superiors.

TheDandy

Reaction score
I know this thread is relatively common. But would appreciate your assistance. If you were starting out building a professional wardrobe, how many suits would you consider a good lot? I was thinking 5-7...at least one different for each day of the week. The questions I pose to you: 1) How many suits would be the target/baseline number? 2) With that number...what would they be? (color/pattern/stripes/style...very macro description) Thanks a bunch!
I'll be working for the Republican caucus Quality is more important than quantity and invest in tailor made suits, first, find a tailor that listen to your needs and propose style that goes along... Second, start with one suit (probably a charcoal grey) third, once you are satisfied with his work order a second one (navy should be consider) Finally, another advantage is that men weight tend to fluctuate developing a relation with a tailor would make it easier for you on a long run...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif

I'd say fashion wise it's a mix of conservative/messy and stylish. Nothing too out there. If I walked in with pink laces I'd probably get slapped.

Nah. Some senator will just drag you into the nearest airport bathroom.
sarcasm.gif

rboat

Reaction score
I found getting two pair of pants with each jacket is helpful. Don't buy to many suits until you are there but most people just get well tailored Macy's suits regardless of pay.

Troilus

Reaction score
If you're going into a position where suits are the norm (e.g. counsel's office), then 2-3 suits is doable but gets pretty old fast. Another tip is to get a couple of suits of varying quality. I have a couple BB 1818's, but I also have a lower BB line with Dow XLA that is freaking bullet-proof. I get more much use out of that suit, despite feeling somewhat less well-dressed when I'm in it.

Finally, I think you're exaggerating the need to dress conservatively just because you're on the right side of the aisle. I've grown up and worked for both parties (I'm a DC native like Louche) and there's no way you can tell me one side dresses dandier than the other (worst dressed office I ever remember belonged to a Missouri Dem., and Trent Lott wore smashing suits and ties when in office). Assuming you're not a public figure (i.e. spokesperson or representative), there won't be nearly the same social pressure on you to dress conservatively as there is, say, at some law firms.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is relatively common. But would appreciate your assistance.

If you were starting out building a professional wardrobe, how many suits would you consider a good lot? I was thinking 5-7...at least one different for each day of the week. The questions I pose to you:

1) How many suits would be the target/baseline number?
2) With that number...what would they be? (color/pattern/stripes/style...very macro description)

Thanks a bunch!

Use the search function PLEASE.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
This classic Will blog entry.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK...so first purchase will be a mid gray. How much should I look to spend for a good mix of quality and value? Any particular "style" that I should look/ask for....wanting something more modern looking.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After finding a brand/cut/fit that worked best with minimal tailoring I would say 10. 3 conservative 3-season suits, 2 2-season (fall/winter), 2 2-season (spring/summer) and 3 outlandish. Add in some sport coats and trousers and you're set for the foreseeable future. Just make sure your shoe game is tight.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
This classic Will blog entry.

^This is good advice.

I remember my Management prof. in college telling us how he needed to wear a suit but could only afford one right out of college. So for a full year he wore the same green suit everyday and took it into the cleaners every Saturday morning and picked it up later that afternoon. Can you imagine wearing the same suit everyday?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK...so first purchase will be a mid gray. How much should I look to spend for a good mix of quality and value? Any particular "style" that I should look/ask for....wanting something more modern looking?

And what are some brands to look for - somewhere between 500-1000. Would like to save room for tailoring too. I have macy's, neiman macrus, saks, nordstroms, bloomingdales and some smaller mens shops that carry some lesser known stuff. Thoughts?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif

There is a thread about conservative clothing...

Manton will be your port of call in that matter.

He is more aware than anybody else of the sartorial do and don't of politicians and their staff..

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Brooks 1818. You may be able to get canvassed suits at Last Call or Off Fifth in your size. The Buying & Selling Forum on Style Forum.

Fit is king. Make sure you know what fits.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Brooks Brothers 1818. Be there when they open, the morning of the 26th.

Haha same here. And if I'm not mistaken they have suits for 2 for $1000 so that would be an ideal investment for OP. The Fitzgerald cut looks like a good mix of conservative but fashion forward style. As mentioned, it all about fitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads