• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Shorts..

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Sadly, the weather has been very warm where I live, and it has got my mind thinking of spring and summer (where is the lovely winter at?), particular of shorts. I've done some reading on S.F. and several style blogs, and I got the impression that most of you don't wear shorts in spring and summer, or at least rather rarely. Regardless, I would like to ask for some opinions on some ideas for how to properly wear shorts, and not look like a git (I loathe cargo shorts). This year, I have resolved that I will only wear shorts if they are trim and.. short. I like some of the looks from Guido Wongolini, but he is much older than I am, so I'm not sure if such a look would work for me. Should I just go with white denim and chino pants instead? Some examples of the items I'm considering are: White bucks Chambray shirt Purple dogtooth shirt Navy roll-up shorts Apple red tailored shorts

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain chino shorts. At or above the knee. I have a couple from nautica that I really like- the rigger and clipper models.

Pair 'em with colorful polos, classic short sleeve button downs, canvas sneakers, boat shoes, nice leather sandals. Linen cap if you're inclined to wear a hat- which can be very nice in the summer.

Shorts can be very easy to wear- if you have the right shorts and the right figure. Trouble is, it can be difficult to fund the right shorts when almost all of the ones sold these days are more along the lines of capris or massive cargos meant to hang halfway down the ass, and I can't help you on the figure.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And well tapered.

Oh, I also get this strange vibe on SF like showing legs is too XXX rated and sinful or something. Then again showing some ankles is already too sexy for some members. XD

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try seersucker shorts.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
The pairs of shorts I have from last year (chino shorts, white micro-check) are pretty neutral, but are not as fitted as I would like. I'm very slim, so I can definitely wear shorts well, as long as they are fitted. I still like the idea of white denim and chino pants though.. why not have both?
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Plain chino shorts. At or above the knee. I have a couple from nautica that I really like- the rigger and clipper models. Pair 'em with colorful polos, classic short sleeve button downs, canvas sneakers, boat shoes, nice leather sandals. Linen cap if you're inclined to wear a hat- which can be very nice in the summer. Shorts can be very easy to wear- if you have the right shorts and the right figure. Trouble is, it can be difficult to fund the right shorts when almost all of the ones sold these days are more along the lines of capris or massive cargos meant to hang halfway down the ass, and I can't help you on the figure.
Well, I get a strange vibe from certain shorts at times (my apologies for temporarily blinding you). Perhaps the reason they are disinclined to wear shorts is because most people do not wear them well, and so they would rather not bother. Or, they simply don't look good when wearing shorts.
Originally Posted by blahman
And well tapered. Oh, I also get this strange vibe on SF like showing legs is too XXX rated and sinful or something. Then again showing some ankles is already too sexy for some members. XD
I think seersucker would be too much for me; I think that white bucks alone would probably get me some strange looks, as virtually every man around here wears flip-flops and ill-fitting shorts..
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Try seersucker shorts.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
I hoped that there would be more responses to this thread, but that's alright.

There is a second part to my original question: Would you wear bucks and shorts, or even chino pants to the beach, or just swim shorts instead? There are a fair amount of beaches near me, so I will probably be going to some a fair bit with friends.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
I hoped that there would be more responses to this thread, but that's alright.

There is a second part to my original question: Would you wear bucks and shorts, or even chino pants to the beach, or just swim shorts instead? There are a fair amount of beaches near me, so I will probably be going to some a fair bit with friends.

Will you be swimming?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kind of feel that if you are not swimming you will always look like a git in shorts. Just get lightweight trousers.

atlas91

Reaction score
First post! Anyway,

Personally, I have no issues with shorts as long as they are above the knee. I wouldn't wear them if they aren't tapered, or have some ridiculous branding. One of my favorite pieces of clothing are my white shorts that I love to pair with a button down, my blazer, and boat shoes. Kind of prep over-kill I suppose, but I think, especially if you have skinny long legs, shorts can look great.

-Atlas

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atlas91
First post! Anyway,

Personally, I have no issues with shorts as long as they are above the knee. I wouldn't wear them if they aren't tapered, or have some ridiculous branding. One of my favorite pieces of clothing are my white shorts that I love to pair with a button down, my blazer, and boat shoes. Kind of prep over-kill I suppose, but I think, especially if you have skinny long legs, shorts can look great.

-Atlas

plain.gif

atlas91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
plain.gif

I'm assuming you aren't impressed by the ensemble I laid out. lol Meh, at a large public college in Ohio, trust me, that tends to stand out more than it would in any city like, say, San Francisco. (in a good way) -Atlas Crap.. apparently nobody likes it... lol

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atlas91
I'm assuming you aren't impressed by the ensemble I laid out. lol

Meh, at a large public college in Ohio, trust me, that tends to stand out more than it would in any city like, say, San Francisco.

-Atlas

Blazer and shorts, or sweater and shorts, and even long sleeve shirt and shorts, can and do look very stupid. Shorts are a practical consideration to keep you cool. They look incredibly stupid with things made to keep you warm. Even a long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up gets dubious.

If you need something halfway, a short sleeve shirt of some sort and pants works much better.

Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
The pairs of shorts I have from last year (chino shorts, white micro-check) are pretty neutral, but are not as fitted as I would like.

I'm very slim, so I can definitely wear shorts well, as long as they are fitted. I still like the idea of white denim and chino pants though.. why not have both?

I think seersucker would be too much for me; I think that white bucks alone would probably get me some strange looks, as virtually every man around here wears flip-flops and ill-fitting shorts..

Just don't get shorts that are too fitted. Air circulating isn't a bad thing in the heat, and the line is much more important then the slimness anyway. On pants, the slimness helps show how fit you are. With shorts, let your legs do the talking. You don't want your shorts to look like underwear. Just make sure they're cut cleanly and don't have massive pockets, snaps, laces and zippers coming out the wazoo.

As for the seersucker, it looks much less out of place on shorts than just about anywhere else. A lightweight and cool fabric is perfect, and the pattern isn't really all that obtrusive.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duplicate post. See below.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear shorts of chino, linen, seersucker, and madras. The important thing is to wear them appropriately. Midtown Manhattan is not a venue for shorts. However, a day of boating calls for shorts. An outing in a convertible calls for shorts. There are plenty of opportunities to wear them ... it's just a matter of knowing that the time and place are both right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads