• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Shorts..

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I kind of feel that if you are not swimming you will always look like a git in shorts. Just get lightweight trousers.

Agreed. If it tops out over 95 degrees, I'll cut people some slack, but in general no one needs to see hairy man legs flapping about.

BTW, they don't keep you a whole lot cooler than lightweight trousers but do expose your skin to harmful rays.

If British soldiers can wear trousers in North Africa, men can wear trousers on the subway. In fact, I'd prefer they did.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have not worn shorts since probably the third grade. But then again I piss people off and go no sho sock in the summer. It is amazing how much cooler you feel with your ankles exposed.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea that such a general aversion to shorts existed. Then again, I live part time on an island in North Florida where it is standard uniform for most of the year.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The important thing is to wear them appropriately. Midtown Manhattan is not a venue for shorts. However, a day of boating calls for shorts. An outing in a convertible calls for shorts. There are plenty of opportunities to wear them ... it's just a matter of knowing that the time and place are both right.
This calls for a poll. "What is appropriate dress for a summertime backyard barbecue?"

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not worn shorts since probably the third grade. But then again I piss people off and go no sho sock in the summer. It is amazing how much cooler you feel with your ankles exposed.

Interesting. Do you wear these no sho socks with your various dress shoes or do you wear them with with your casual shoes only?

Originally Posted by viator
This calls for a poll. "What is appropriate dress for a summertime backyard barbecue?"

x2
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Interesting. Do you wear these no sho socks with your various dress shoes or do you wear them with with your casual shoes only?

x2
laugh.gif

Only dress shoes, as I don't own any casual shoes. Wait, I do have Hunter boots for the snow.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Agreed. If it tops out over 95 degrees, I'll cut people some slack, but in general no one needs to see hairy man legs flapping about.
Do you really find the sight of men's legs (really only the calves, in truth) that upsetting? It sounds awfully Puritanical of you, especially considering the subject under discussion is shorts in general, rather than, say, "hotpants as formalwear." I live in Toronto and for a good two months of the year it's simply too hot and humid to wear long pants. The guys in suits on lunch breaks are visibly suffering and even the people in shorts prefer to be indoors with air conditioning unless they are sun-tanning or playing sports. Given that Toronto is Toronto, it stands to reason the vast majority of posters here live south of me, so for those of you in southern states I can only pray the heat feels different down there (less humidity maybe?) because anyone who takes issue with shorts when the temperature climbs to about 30°C/86°F or higher is effing crazy, period.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Do you really find the sight of men's legs (really only the calves, in truth) that upsetting? It sounds awfully Puritanical of you, especially considering the subject under discussion is shorts in general, rather than, say, "hotpants as formalwear."

I live in Toronto and for a good two months of the year it's simply too hot and humid to wear long pants. The guys in suits on lunch breaks are visibly suffering and even the people in shorts prefer to be indoors with air conditioning unless they are sun-tanning or playing sports. Given that Toronto is Toronto, it stands to reason the vast majority of posters here live south of me, so for those of you in southern states I can only pray the heat feels different down there (less humidity maybe?) because anyone who takes issue with shorts when it's 40 degrees celsius out is effing crazy, period.

Won't argue that. Do you wear sandals too?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like the way sandals look, so I tend to avoid them unless I'm going to the beach or making a quick grocery-store run on a sweltering day, etc, and I've got $5 H&M flip-flops for that sort of occasion.

I find that wearing shorts provides enough cooling that my feet don't overheat even with socks and shoes on. Because you can get away with wearing shorts and shoes, but the inverse (sandals with long pants) is obviously less doable.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it depends where you are geographically, what you are doing, and your age. I am in Louisiana, where it is over 95 degrees on a daily basis. I will wear shorts until I am unable to get away with it.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
I think it depends where you are geographically, what you are doing, and your age. I am in Louisiana, where it is over 95 degrees on a daily basis. I will wear shorts until I am unable to get away with it.

+1.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
I hoped that there would be more responses to this thread, but that's alright.

There is a second part to my original question: Would you wear bucks and shorts, or even chino pants to the beach, or just swim shorts instead? There are a fair amount of beaches near me, so I will probably be going to some a fair bit with friends.

I recommend board shorts, singlet and a beer in hand. Mostly the beer part.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I don't really like the way sandals look, so I tend to avoid them unless I'm going to the beach or making a quick grocery-store run on a sweltering day, etc, and I've got $5 H&M flip-flops for that sort of occasion.

I find that wearing shorts provides enough cooling that my feet don't overheat even with socks and shoes on. Because you can get away with wearing shorts and shoes, but the inverse (sandals with long pants) is obviously less doable.

Mature leather slides, pants hemmed at a reasonable to short length, and it's not all that hard. White jeans with leather sandals and a polo is a great spring look.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
I don't usually swim when I go to a beach. I have a good pair of swim shorts, so I would wear those if I was planning to swim.
Originally Posted by viator
Will you be swimming?
Yes. I think that the only times one needs to wear shorts are when the weather is unbearably hot, or for swimming. What sort of shoes would you choose to wear with the trousers? Bucks, deck shoes, or.. sandals?
I kind of feel that if you are not swimming you will always look like a git in shorts. Just get lightweight trousers.
I'd buy you a pint, but I'm underage.
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Agreed. If it tops out over 95 degrees, I'll cut people some slack, but in general no one needs to see hairy man legs flapping about. BTW, they don't keep you a whole lot cooler than lightweight trousers but do expose your skin to harmful rays. If British soldiers can wear trousers in North Africa, men can wear trousers on the subway. In fact, I'd prefer they did.
{I'll stop now, as this post is already long enough.}

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads