1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Odoreater's New No-nonsense Workout

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 5, 2006.

1. aspriel

aspriel Senior member

The question of whether a serious weight-lifting workout is good for people seeking serious weight loss is still up in the air, I see.

2. Charley

Charley Senior member

The purpose of the Rippetoe and Starr programs is to gain size and strength. Rapid strength gains will evidently come easier with gains in size as well.

However, using high intensity weight training without a great deal of calorie intake will contribute a great deal to weight loss. The more calories you use, the more you lose. For the more normal mortal who has not been lifting before, it will also cause strength gains. Many of the people posting the good advice on the body building or power lifting forums have been working at it for years. The perspective is entirely different from that of the new lifter.

An example of pretty good strength with little weight is the competitive gymnast. this article is pretty interesting "Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning" Do a google search for the guy who wrote the article.

3. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

odoreater, how is your workout coming along?

i've been doing a similar workout for a couple weeks and the results have been great. here's what i've been doing about 3 times a week:

3 x 5 deadlifts
    3 x 5 dumbbell bench press
    3 x 5 standing dumbbell press
    3 x 5 turkish getups

that's it. pretty similar to what you're doing, but more tailored to my goals right now. with all of these, i am trying to go as heavy as i can with good form.

although, my original intention was not to gain muscle mass, it's happening, and i like the results. more importantly, i'm getting a lot stronger, very quickly.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

odoreater, how is your workout coming along?

i've been doing a similar workout for a couple weeks and the results have been great. here's what i've been doing about 3 times a week:

3 x 5 deadlifts
    3 x 5 dumbbell bench press
    3 x 5 standing dumbbell press
    3 x 5 turkish getups

that's it. pretty similar to what you're doing, but more tailored to my goals right now. with all of these, i am trying to go as heavy as i can with good form.

although, my original intention was not to gain muscle mass, it's happening, and i like the results. more importantly, i'm getting a lot stronger, very quickly.

It's been going really well lately, with the exception of today. I aggravated my old back injury today, but hopefully a trip to the chiropractor tomorrow will take care of that. I've been consistently adding weights to all of my lifts and I'm feeling pretty good about my workout.

5. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

It's been going really well lately, with the exception of today. I aggravated my old back injury today, but hopefully a trip to the chiropractor tomorrow will take care of that. I've been consistently adding weights to all of my lifts and I'm feeling pretty good about my workout.

i just read that you have 3 herniated discs. you sure you wanna do deads and squats with that?

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

i just read that you have 3 herniated discs. you sure you wanna do deads and squats with that?

Yeah, I keep it light. I don't go over about 200 lbs on squats and 300 lbs on deads and I make sure to warm up good. It's also important to keep my form as good as possible. The disks are a permanent injury, but you have to keep living right? If I don't do deads and squats, I just don't feel like working out. Every now and then I have a day like today where I fuck it up, but I just go to the chiropractor the next day, rest for a couple days and the pain usually goes away.

7. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

Yeah, I keep it light. I don't go over about 200 lbs on squats and 300 lbs on deads and I make sure to warm up good. It's also important to keep my form as good as possible. The disks are a permanent injury, but you have to keep living right? If I don't do deads and squats, I just don't feel like working out. Every now and then I have a day like today where I fuck it up, but I just go to the chiropractor the next day, rest for a couple days and the pain usually goes away.

cool. you're not doing a lot of reps, so that's good. people tend to get injured when doing a lot of reps...

keep us posted on your progres.