Ode to the Falafel

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nomad, Apr 13, 2009.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I always hear about falafels, but I've never had them.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

greg, you haven't been to the right gyros places.
    No I have. I'm just saying they're getting very rare now, especially here in NYC

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Yeah, but the overall cost is still very low, making the percentages irrelevant to me. An extra 1.50 for lamb instead of deep fried beans seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

I don't think you get falafel.....[​IMG]

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

No I have. I'm just saying they're getting very rare now, especially here in NYC

I see. chicago has some good gyros. not real greek, but an acceptable alternative.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I see. chicago has some good gyros. not real greek, but an acceptable alternative.
    As you know, there are literally hundreds of carts and gyros places in Manhattan. They pretty much ALL serve this crap. I've seen them set them up many many times and it looks gross. Obviously with a lot of flame it looks like the real thing (i.e. like grilled meat)

[​IMG]
    http://parthenonfoods.com/gyro-meat-...b3e68229214372

Low pieces of beef and lamb, some bread crumbs, all this mixed with tons of seasoning and frozen in the shape of a real gyros (stacked sliced meat). All this for a final price of around $4/lb. ugh

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

As you know, there are literally hundreds of carts and gyros places in Manhattan. They pretty much ALL serve this crap. I've seen them set them up many many times and it looks gross. Obviously with a lot of flame it looks like the real thing (i.e. like grilled meat)

[​IMG]
    http://parthenonfoods.com/gyro-meat-...b3e68229214372

Low pieces of beef and lamb, some bread crumbs, all this mixed with tons of seasoning and frozen in the shape of a real gyros (stacked sliced meat). All this for a final price of around $4/lb. ugh

yeah, this is one of those things that people in chicago take really seriously. there are a number of places that serve really good gyros here. nw, swarma is hard to find good, but I know a dozen good gyro places within a 15 minute drive of my apartment.

but, you also have to consider an american gyro, a greek gyro, swarma, pastor, donner and iskander are all different and acceptable foods.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Amsterdam Falafel in DC. Went for the first time a few weeks back, and now I can't get it out of my head.

b

Bob,
    Whereabouts in DC? I'll be back there in a couple of weeks, might need a good lunch. Thanks

8. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

Amersterdam Falafel is in Adams Morgan on 18th street. Their topings are NEXT LEVEL.

9. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

also has anyone found a Doner Kebab in the States? I only see them when I'm in Germany....

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Amersterdam Falafel is in Adams Morgan on 18th street. Their topings are NEXT LEVEL.

gracias

11. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

also has anyone found a Doner Kebab in the States? I only see them when I'm in Germany....

Moby Dick's House of Kebab in the DC area (They have locations in Georgetown and Bethesda) has a pretty good Doner kebab, there's also this place out by Crystal City called "The Kebab Palace" IIRC that's pretty good. I tend to rate kebab places by the number of taxis parked nearby, the greater the density of cabs, the better the kebab tends to be. [​IMG]

As to falafel, there is a little place about 2 blocks from Yale's campus in New Haven that I remember from visiting friends in college. I wonder if it's still there...

12. nomad

nomad Senior member

In Vancouver my favourite is Falafully Good on 16th and Oak.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Gyros are pretty disgusting at most places though. They buy those pre-made cone-shaped masses of meat, frozen, ready to turn. I've seen them switch the gyro and it's not pretty - kinda like a giant frozen sausage. At the good places, they are made by stacking slices of meat on that rotisserie stake, but I rarely these any more
    +1 all the way. We've made gyros in school before. It's incredible the difference in quality and taste between freshly made gyro meat and those cones.
    greg, you haven't been to the right gyros places.

STEVE'S PLACE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

I don't think you get falafel.....[​IMG]

Like I said, I only got falafel once. So. . . I don't get falafel anymore.

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Bob,
    Whereabouts in DC? I'll be back there in a couple of weeks, might need a good lunch. Thanks

Buy a shirt while you're there. Then people will think you actually went to Amsterdam. [​IMG]

b