• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Odd vest with sport coat and trou

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should the odd vest the sport coat or trou? Or neither? Or should the look be avoided all together?

I was given an odd flannel wool vest and I'm trying to figure out how to pair it. It's a darker grey flannel wool. Obviously I'll be wearing it with my heavier wool winter items.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally a fan of odd vests with odd jackets and trousers. A few caveats, though:
1)Patterned vests are more dangerous than plain.
2)Darker vests are harder to use than lighter ones. Light grey, cream/buff--these are the workhorses. The dark grey flannel may be hard to work in.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Should the odd vest the sport coat or trou? Or neither?

Dont understand the first part of the question.

Anyways, I think it is a look which looks excellent in RL ads but does not translate well in real life. Even so, I am thinking of getting a tweed vest made.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late night posting again, sorry, I meant should the odd vest match the trou or jacket or neither.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Late night posting again, sorry, I meant should the odd vest match the trou or jacket
If it did, then it wouldn't really be an odd vest would it...

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd in the sense that its not an orphaned 3pc vest or that I have 2 pcs of a 3pc.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can work as long as the colors and materials of the 3 or in cohesion together, otherwise it becomes a hot mess.

le Dauphin

Reaction score
I have a related question. Could an odd vest be worn with a suit? I don't generally like the 3 piece suit (all pieces matching). I find it a little fussy for a man in his 20's like me. I do however think a plain light gray vest could look very nice with a darker charcoal suit. Or maybe a tan vest with a navy suit and brown shoes? Am I totally wrong on this?...probably

-Matt

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by le Dauphin
I have a related question. Could an odd vest be worn with a suit? I don't generally like the 3 piece suit (all pieces matching). I find it a little fussy for a man in his 20's like me. I do however think a plain light gray vest could look very nice with a darker charcoal suit. Or maybe a tan vest with a navy suit and brown shoes? Am I totally wrong on this?...probably

-Matt

I've done it...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

Originally Posted by aj_del
Anyways, I think it is a look which looks excellent in RL ads but does not translate well in real life. Even so, I am thinking of getting a tweed vest made.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.