1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Odd suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mdkeene, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Mdkeene

Mdkeene Active Member

Hi all,

I´m thinking of having my tailor make me not so much a suit, but rather an outfit, for lack of a better word. I´d like to have him make me a pair of navy trousers, a navy pinstripe sportcoat or blazer, and a grey vest/waiscoat (depending on which side of the pond you are).

The navy trousers and the grey vest should look fine, what I´m unsure about is the pinstripe jacket. Often times I find that a pinstripe jacket looks a bit off when it´s not worn with matching pinstripe trousers. What are your opinions on this? Also, would you suggest some alternatives that may look good?

Thanks!

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

A navy pinstripe jacket with navy trousers will look like you tore the trousers to your pinstripe suit.

In the '30s, the very conservative would wear a black or incredibly dark gray jacket with light gray pinstripe trousers, but you'd need tremendous presence to pull this look off well today, and it would come across as a costume.

The idea of a plain navy suit with a light gray vest strikes me as great. A navy striped suit with a gray vest seems a little off to me -- an odd vest is a slightly dandyish touch, and a pinstripe suit is very conservative. A strikingly-detailed suit with a slightly unusually colored stripe (like a dark red, light blue, or gold) with a vest to match the stripe could be cool, if a bit much. It would need to be impeccably done, of course.

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Go for dark grey/charcoal trousers, medium grey waistcoat and a navy jacket

4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I can't see this ending well. That is, unless you abandon the whole idea. Your bookkeeper will thank you for it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013