• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Odd or proper morning dress ensemble?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in the market for morning dress (can't imagine ever needing it) but saw something interesting at the Barney's Warehouse Sale that I thought was odd for a morning ensemble. It was by Armani (usually pretty traditional in formal attire) and consisted of striped morning trousers, a champagne/cream waistcoat and then a black jacket that looked like a notch lapel dinner jacket (tuxedo, not tail coat) instead of a grey long coat. Is this to full morning dress what black tie is to white tie, or is it a "contemporary" interpretation of morning dress the way a two button skinny lapel tuxedo with belt loops on the trousers is the "modern" version of evening dress?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't make much sense. Maybe it was a very ill-conceived MTM order that wasn't picked up?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be, but I think it had normal tags on it. I wonder if it was something where they lost a pair of tux pants and a morning coat and put some stuff together (though that also seems unlikely since it was on the rack as a full suit). Either way, seems my question is answered.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a "stroller" which is actually supposed to have peak lapels. Otherwise, the ensemble would be appropriate as a less formal option to a traditional morning coat.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.