1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Odd mislabeled rlpl spotted at filene's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, May 10, 2004.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

Just an FYI of sorts -- Yesterday in a huge rack of Ralph Lauren clothes at the Filene's Basement (Chevy Chase, DC) store here in DC -- both blue label and purple label -- I came across a mislabeled "purple label" sweater. The label sewn into the sweater was the purple label, which read that the sweater was 100% cashmere. The sweater didn't feel like cashmere at all though, so I took a look at the fabric content label that's sewn into the interior seam on the inside of the sweater. That label was NOT a purple label tag (should be same bright purple color; I think it was a dull grey color) and read that the content was something like 60% acrylic and 40% wool. Pretty shocking, given the quality control I would expect from RL regarding Purple Label. I would have expected that RLPL is made at a different "factory" than regular RL. Anyway, this was the only one I noticed like this. Thought I'd pass it along.

2. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Interesting that you should mention labelling and Filene's.

I have the distinct impression that the Brioni shirts that they are selling - at least some of them - are of a different, lesser quality than the ones found at NM, elsewhere. Maybe not a false label, but certainly lower grade. And some - but by no means all - of their Zegna stuff seems to have slightly 'off' labels.

Have you had any similar experiences?

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

I may agree with you on the Zegna -- there seems to be a lower grade Zegna shirt that they carry. But it may also be carried by NM and Saks -- I'm not sure. I bought a Zegna shirt from Filene's several months ago -- one that didn't have a tag indicating that it came from, say NM or Barney's -- in a size 17. The fabric is very nice, but it's a light blue dress shirt and there is no where to insert collar stays.. So I really can't wear the shirt with a tie, as the collar doesn't lie perfectly flat.

As for Brioni, the only Brioni that I recall seeing at Filene's all had the store's label still on it -- NM/Bergdorf's/Barney's, etc. -- so I can't say it was a lesser grade. On the other hand, I have been surprised by the wide variety of non-business clothes that Brioni seems to produce and which I've seen in Filene's. Some items look like Tommy Bahama (Hawaiian shirts, etc.), for example.