• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Odd Mexx suit- what is the stuff under the material - fused?

rossyl

Reaction score
Hi,

So my "emergency" suit in the office (should I be wearing casual clothes and have a meeting) is a Mexx suit I bought a few years ago as I needed it for a nightclub where I knew that drinks would get spilled (I was of course corect!) so I bought a cheap suit for the occassion. The suit fitted very well, and drew a few good comments so I carried on wore it a few times

This was all pre-SF.

I've just done a "pinch test" above the breast pocket, having never really understood the test properly. My Hilfiger sports jacket I believe is fused, there's nothing between the lining and the material.

The Mexx suit jacket appears to have a soft material in between the lining and material. It feels like it goes all the way into the shoulder. This is a cheap suit, so what on earth on this be. Also the material of the suit is wool, but I don't think it's worsted and the material does not appear to be combed.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

rossyl

Reaction score
still wondering what it is...do Mexx use a felt inbetween the lining and fabric?

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Almost every suit is constructed with some sort of chest piece, which is a layer of padding/canvas-type material covering the breast plate area. That is not what the pinch test is trying to feel. In a fused suit, there is an additional layer of felt-like fabric (often gray and slightly fuzzy) that is literally heat glued on to the underside of the wool fabric. In a canvassed suit, there is nothing attached to the underside of the wool fabric in the body, but there is a layer of canvas stitched on to the underside of the lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 89 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 31.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 83 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 48 9.4%