• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ocho Rios Jamaica

thetieguy

Reaction score
I got married on Saturday and am now at Couples Ocho Rios San Soucci right now. It was the best day of my life. I am now swimming in cheap rum at all the bars. I am doing Dunns River Falls Saturday. What do you guys think about Jamaica and what local food should I try?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Ocho Rios a couple years ago. We stayed at the Royal Plantation.
The best place to eat by far was the Jerk center....I think it was just called the Ocho Rios Jerk Center. Cheap, fast, and where all the locals went to eat.

Oh and congrats on getting married.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Akee and codfish
Curried Mutton and spinach
rice & peas
jerked chicken/goat/pork/fish (any are great)

Sprinkle hot sauce made with mustard or tomato and scotch bonnet peppers liberally over all.

Appleton Estate rum
Red Stripe beer

I love Jamaican food. I spent my honeymoon at Montego Bay.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I've never been to Ocho Rios but I love Negril. I'm not familiar with the beach in Ocho Rios. I usually just walk down the Negril beach and eat where the food smells incredible and is fresh. I stick to jerk chicken or goat and some Jamaican rice and beans. Jerk or curried lobster with fresh fruit always hits the spot chased down with an ice cold Red Stripe.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I'm glad you are having a great time. I did too..until about 10 days after I got home. I had ecoli poisoning. Let me just tell you...it was AWFUL. It was my last semester in undergrad. We even stayed at a very nice place, Half Moon Bay. Have a safe trip and hopefully yours will not end in 103 fevers, night sweats, and projectile vomit...and no that had nothing to do with the underage college girls that we met.

cuffthis

Reaction score
As someone who has travelled to Jamaica 24 times, enjoy this Diamond in the Carribean.

Do not be afraid to venture outside your A/I. The Jamaican people are, IMHO, what makes the Island sooooooo special.

Substantially all of my travels to Jamaica have been on the western and southern coasts. I am very familiar with Westmoreland and St. Elizabeth.

When you return, please consider Negril. I would be glad to recommend some of my favorites in that area. We usually stay with locals, but we also know most of the small places to stay. In July, we took 16 of our restaurant staff with us to have fun in Negril. Most have already signed up for the 2009 trip.

Congrats on the special event.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cuffthis;1349902 said:
Do not be afraid to venture outside your A/I. The Jamaican people are, IMHO, what makes the Island sooooooo special.

QUOTE]

Agreed. When I went, people were telling me not to venture out of the resort. But when I travel, I like to go and be with the locals...that is the best way to get the true sense of the culture. The best times I had when I was in Jamaica was going to the jerk center in the evenings and drinking beer with the locals.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sans Souci is fantastic! Congrats on the location and your marriage.

Dunns River Falls is worth running the gauntlet of tip vultures. Fern Gully is fantastic.

Personally, I'd do those two things then stay in the compound.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads